The nerve of these people, this is so friggin wrong!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just two words for this.  Starlight Mints.

This kind of begs the question, how many big bags of Halloween candy should I buy at Costco before we get to the Fort? I thought about sending the DW out in costume to trick or treat and use her loot

it was me.... she wanted to know the site/ sites that things were posted on so i took numerous screen shots and sent them to her after our conversation, I also talked to her about the pool being use

39 minutes ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

If the hoards are paying resort guests, then they are free to enjoy the Fort as much as those strictly staying at the Fort, except the pool of course. Well unless you DVC. 

I disagree, if they are staying at another resort, they should have their party there and not invade the Fort.

59 minutes ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

If the hoards are paying resort guests, then they are free to enjoy the Fort as much as those strictly staying at the Fort, except the pool of course. Well unless you DVC. 

18 minutes ago, BigTom said:

I disagree, if they are staying at another resort, they should have their party there and not invade the Fort.

Yeah, I'm with Big Tom on this one.

Guests of other resorts who show up to trick-or-treat at the Fort are huge freeloaders. It's the same as when people show up in other neighborhoods to trick-or-treat.  To me, the deal with Halloween is that there's an implied agreement that you are being a good neighbor by generously giving out treats to your neighbors.  It's not a free for all.

As I said earlier, it isn't as big a deal as it's being made out to be.  It's very simple to sit in your camper and ignore the whole thing if that's what you want to do. Nobody will knock on your door and bother you.  But, the part that bothers me is that I'd like to give out nice treats to my fellow campers- not a bunch of brats belonging to the Mommy Bloggers group or a carload of kids from the All Star Resorts.

TCD

I am amazed at the number of people who will go to so much trouble and expense for "free" candy.  These are the same geniuses who will pay for an overpriced ticket to MNSSHP  for the same reason, or pay rack rates for a room in order to get "free" dining.  Just go to the Publix and buy a bag of freakin candy.  Or better yet, next time you are at the local Chinese restaurant, fill your pockets with starlight mints for your little angels.

I see your point, although, walking door to door in a hotel is different than the Fort, but I guess it wouldn't be any different than if you lived in an apartment building.

Other resorts need to get in on the Halloween thing. If each hotel had there own party I wonder if crowds would deminish? Why is the Fort the only "cool" fun resort? Lol I guess we don't need to answer that because we all know campers are awesome.

I totally agree that a bigger deal is being made then what needs to be. 

1 hour ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

I see your point, although, walking door to door in a hotel is different than the Fort, but I guess it wouldn't be any different than if you lived in an apartment building.

Other resorts need to get in on the Halloween thing. If each hotel had there own party I wonder if crowds would deminish? Why is the Fort the only "cool" fun resort? Lol I guess we don't need to answer that because we all know campers are awesome.

it is the only resort that you can decorate with your own displays.

2 hours ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

If they want to party at the Fort, they should get a site and camp at the Fort

20 hours ago, rjpete said:

it is the only resort that you can decorate with your own displays.

True and the word is also out that in addition to candy, Fort campers do an A-MAZING job decorating for Halloween!!  After last year I'm starting to think that Halloween has become an even bigger deal than Christmas at the Fort.

20 hours ago, BigTom said:

If they want to party at the Fort, they should get a site and camp at the Fort

Shhh.... it's hard enough to get a reservation.  ;)

Ok just out of curiosity I searched on Facebook for Trick or treating at Fort Wilderness. This post from a travel agent posted in 2014 definitely helps lead to the confusion of who is invited to trick or treat at the fort.

Below is what was posted.

For anyone who may be traveling to Disney World over Halloween, did you know that the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is not your only opportunity for your little ones to trick or treat? Some of the best trick or treating happens on Halloween at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground. This is not an event put on by Disney, but an experience that the campers themselves take the initiative to do, and it is incredible. Most of the campers decorate their campsites and they host this very special night of Disney guests coming together to enjoy Disney and this holiday. So if you are going to be in Disney on Halloween night and are not able to obtain party tickets as it is sold out, think about experiencing Fort Wilderness Campground that night for one of the most unique experiences you will ever have at Disney :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

After last year I'm starting to think that Halloween has become an even bigger deal than Christmas at the Fort.

Agreed.   We were at The Fort last year for both halloween and Christmas.... halloween had a lot more decorations and the Christmas parade was very sad in comparison.

Agreed.   We were at The Fort last year for both halloween and Christmas.... halloween had a lot more decorations and the Christmas parade was very sad in comparison.

I second that. Last year was our first Halloween and our first time being at the Fort Christmas week. Now we have done 2 week long trips in the beginning of December both years at the same time as the large group that books the cabins and puts on their own parade. There seemed to be more decorations up that time of year then over Christmas week this year. I don't know if it was less decorations all of December this past year, if I was spoiled by Halloween, or if it is just that way every year. Definitely a much more laid back relaxed atmosphere in December and Christmas week then Halloween, but I like them both.

There were several folks that were HUGE decorators around Christmas time, mainly a gentleman in 404, a couple of folks on the corner at 700, a couple of folks on 100 near the settlement, and a lady on the corner of 300. ALL of them have quit coming at Christmas or no longer decorate, so yes, Christmas decorating has gone down.

10 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

There were several folks that were HUGE decorators around Christmas time, mainly a gentleman in 404, a couple of folks on the corner at 700, a couple of folks on 100 near the settlement, and a lady on the corner of 300. ALL of them have quit coming at Christmas or no longer decorate, so yes, Christmas decorating has gone down.

Yeah... we were in the 100 loop and was bummed that the folks we use to walk by every year (the two on the walkway from the TE into the 100 loop) that those folks were not there :( 

17 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Definitely a much more laid back relaxed atmosphere in December and Christmas week then Halloween, but I like them both.

Agreed.  We were surprised by how crazy halloween was and how laid back Christmas felt.

On 8/17/2016 at 11:06 AM, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

I agree that those people are not strictly registered Fort guests but they might be, and probably are, Disney guests, meaning from other hotels on property. The freeloaders I am talking about are those who are not staying on park property.

I have been therr for at least the last 10 years and I agree with TCD.  I don't know if you have ever been there,  but stand in the parking lot and watch the amount of outsiders come in, some of them even bring their own golf carts.  I think it is an outrageous amount of outsiders

13 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

This is last year waiting to get into Fort Wilderness on Halloween about 3:30pm. They were turning people around left and right. e991f0c3771e96368b98847a155fa91c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But they were all friends of friends, and they know Bob who works at the marina and he told them to come on by for a visit!

And ignore the 10 kids in the back seat in their costumes and candy buckets, we're just here to visit!

Regardless of the setting (in this case the Fort), it saddens me to think about one generation of mooches passing the trait on to their kids.  It would be a much better community, if all parents passed on the ethic to work hard, and earn what you get. Sadly, the Internet has given a giant platform to freeloaders and provided shallow credibility.  Sigh.

On 8/22/2016 at 3:51 AM, FunFinder265....Cody said:

So I guess I should take my pillow cases and Howdy Doody mask back to Walmart and find another plan for Halloween?

no I can put 4 more on my site before i hit the limit of 10... we just need to link up in MDE

Article in today's AllEars Weekly Newsletter where a reader writes in and mentions coming to FW campfire every year for daughter's birthday.  The one sentence in red below stuck out.

Robin Tater: Every year we head to Fort Wilderness to the campfire singalong to celebrate our daughter's birthday. As we were getting on the bus to head home I mentioned to our bus driver Cody that it was Katelyn's birthday. I figured he would push the button that automatically wished her a happy birthday. He did and had everyone wish her a happy birthday as well. She leaned over to me to tell me that it made her heart feel special. As we were getting off the bus he stopped her and gave her a choice of Mickey Ears. She picked her favorite characters, Chip and Dale. He took our simple birthday tradition and made it extra special. She twirled all the way to the car.