The nerve of these people, this is so friggin wrong!

I am sure the Fort is not the only place locals do this at. I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to live down there for date nights. Actually as a kid I spent many summers in Florida with my grandparents. We would often drive down to Orlando just to eat at the Polly and take a dip in the pool. They were annual pass holders and spent loads of time at the Resorts and Parks. The time I spent there holds some of the best memories of my life. They paid into the system and I guess felt like it was part of the privilege of living so close to the mouse. 

Thinking back on these memories and the tremendous joy they bring, I guess I don't have a problem with what this family does for their daughter every year. If I lived that close to WDW I think I would do the same thing. We would be pass holders and therefore feel like we are paying for these experiences. 

Then again I can see how people can view this as stealing. The campfire movies and pools are reserved for resort guests ONLY. It is one of the perks as a PAYING guest of the Fort, Poly, etc. When I look on it this way, then what this family does is wrong. 

There are loop holes in every system and people who will take advantage of it. I am sure everyone has taken advantage of A system at some point in their lives. There a no easy fixes here and any put in place by Disney have the potential of screwing everyone in some way or another. Don't let freeloaders steel your pixie dust. Know that they are there, plan accordingly, participate or not. Enjoy the Magic!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just two words for this.  Starlight Mints.

This kind of begs the question, how many big bags of Halloween candy should I buy at Costco before we get to the Fort? I thought about sending the DW out in costume to trick or treat and use her loot

it was me.... she wanted to know the site/ sites that things were posted on so i took numerous screen shots and sent them to her after our conversation, I also talked to her about the pool being use

I agree with you.  I don't have a really big issue with someone visiting the campfire.  I actually thought it was a nice story and on the one hand it shows that you can enjoy some magic without spending a fortune.  I posted the excerpt mainly for the purpose of showing another example of locals using FW.

26 minutes ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

There are loop holes in every system and people who will take advantage of it. I am sure everyone has taken advantage of A system at some point in their lives. There a no easy fixes here and any put in place by Disney have the potential of screwing everyone in some way or another. Don't let freeloaders steel your pixie dust. Know that they are there, plan accordingly, participate or not. Enjoy the Magic!

This. Especially the purple part.  :)

I thought the campfire sing-along was open to all visitors. Someone going to that does not bother me. The driver chose to add a little extra pixie dust to a little girl's day. I am ok with that. It does not sound like this is something the mother went there expecting to happen and it sounds like it was something they do as a family. I would be more bothered if she said after spending the day celebrating her birthday with her classmates at the FW pool....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Live4FW said:

I agree with you.  I don't have a really big issue with someone visiting the campfire.  I actually thought it was a nice story and on the one hand it shows that you can enjoy some magic without spending a fortune.  I posted the excerpt mainly for the purpose of showing another example of locals using FW.

It is a nice story however...

22 hours ago, Beckers said:

Our town has a community day every year with tons of free stuff. A lot of local businesses have raffles but they only allow residents to win

I can see the purpose of only allowing residents (or, in this case, Disney guests) to participate.  Crowding can already be an issue at the CG and/or resorts.   Tough call as it's a sweet story, but it's can be frustrating for those guests who have paid to stay on property.  Of course, I guess that's why this thread started in the first place... crowding at The Fort. 

I have no compassion for anyone trying to get on the Fort property who doesn't belong there.  I was stuck in line once trying to get thru the gate to get to my campsite behind a bunch of interlopers.  This was back when you had to use your card to open the gate.  There was a person at the gate just using their card to open for all their buddies". When I got there you think they'd do me a solid and open it? Nope.  Made me lean out and open it with my card.  I called them a few select names.  Meanwhile the lot was filling up with outside trick or treaters.  

• 4 weeks later...

We have first time reservations at the Fort October 29-November 5 and have dinner reservations at 1900 Park Fare 4pm on Halloween. Do you think we'll have trouble getting back in the Fort on time for ToT? I thought we'd have plenty of time, but this thread and the photos of cars backed up worries me the boat will be a madhouse too.

If Disney would step in and say, choose several outside groups (Boys and Girls club, etc) to sponsor a SET amount of outside trick or treaters who might not get the same type of opportunity normally, I would be fine with that (and keep everyone else not a paying guest out - I'd be fine with that.   I love trick or treaters and truthfully and looking forward to our ressies in 2017. 

That being said - reading some of these posts have made me scratch my head and wonder what I've signed up for....

I don't have a problem with guests visiting the campfire.  I don't necessarily have a problem with resort guests visiting the campgrounds for trick or treating on Halloween.  However, I have a real big problem with outsiders vising The Fort for trick or treating.  They are not paying Disney guests!!!!  I just can't believe that groups actually advertise trick or treating at The Fort and then tell their members the different ways you can get to The Fort without being a Disney guest.  Our kids went to different neighborhoods for trick or treating because we don't live in a neighborhood.

11 hours ago, MRMK2016 said:

We have first time reservations at the Fort October 29-November 5 and have dinner reservations at 1900 Park Fare 4pm on Halloween. Do you think we'll have trouble getting back in the Fort on time for ToT? I thought we'd have plenty of time, but this thread and the photos of cars backed up worries me the boat will be a madhouse too.

You have 3 or 4 choices to get back to the Fort.  Can't predict how busy any of them will be in advance.  For example, if a storm or high winds suddenly appear, the boats to the Fort will be halted, and the lines for the bus will increase.  At the time you referenced, we would consider as our first choice taking the mono to the Magic Kingdom, then taking the boat back to FW.  At that time, the returns to FW aren't as busy as park closing for example.  Could be busy to due to Hoopty-Do.

Other choices include:  taking the mono to the Contemp. and then a boat to FW; taking the mono to MK, then bus to Wilderness Lodge, then bus to FW; taking the mono to MK, then bus to FW (if running); or mono to MK, bus to WL, then walk the trail between the WL and FW (highly recommended to have flashlights with you).

Have Fun!!

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:34 PM, MRMK2016 said:

I knew some fiend would be along to answer your questions, good job PghBob.  Heed the advice to carry flash lights with you.

Oh yes, welcome to the fiends!

42 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

FYI - the Halloween schedule is out - check out this thread - the golf cart parade has been moved to the 30th and there's no mention of trick or treating on it.  Not really sure what that means...

One thing it means is that there are no special activities on Halloween afternoon or night that would draw outsiders to the Fort.

TCD

12 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

One thing it means is that there are no special activities on Halloween afternoon or night that would draw outsiders to the Fort.

TCD

you got that right, and because its not scheduled they can actually turn people away in costume... "so yea there's no schedled ToT for today, are you a resort guest?... let me scan that Magic band, oh it shows no reservations or dining, I am gonna have to have you turn around and have a magical day"

you got that right, and because its not scheduled they can actually turn people away in costume... "so yea there's no schedled ToT for today, are you a resort guest?... let me scan that Magic band, oh it shows no reservations or dining, I am gonna have to have you turn around and have a magical day"

That's what I was thinking too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

But Halloween is on a Monday, so maybe they are moving the activities to Sunday in case people are leaving on Monday

I think there will still be trick or treat, if there wasn't, they would have the beach bash on the 31st.

It's a long standing joke among some of us that are old timers.  Also involves a guy named Larry.  Watch for posts re. Him in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Facebook Events people can create events and invite all their closest friends and neighbors. Though thankfully this one does not seem to be getting much attention. Only one has said they are attending and almost non existent discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1784945358385265/?ti=cl

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

From that FB page...

There is no entrance fee! trick-or-treat around 4-6ish.

Um... nope!  Silly people.

Someone is in for some disappointment if they show up that early (actually get in) and assume anyone will be around handing out candy.

Makes me think more and more that Disney intentionally left TOT off the schedule to keep stuff like this down.  My money is on them handing out a flyer to Fort guests right before the 31st - maybe even ON the 31st.

56 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

My money is on them handing out a flyer to Fort guests right before the 31st - maybe even ON the 31st.

You think that would be enough time for people to register to hand out candy?

18 minutes ago, Travisma said:

The last couple of years, the majority of sites didn't register/were not on the hand out map, so that won't make a difference.

It's always been that way.  I never understood the point of having guests register in the first place.  If you want to hand out candy, you set up at the end of your site, and the trick-or-treaters stop by.  Nobody knocks on camper doors.

TCD