Jump to content
CJHokie

Looks like Ellie has made her last camping trip.

Recommended Posts

On 8/28/2016 at 7:59 AM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Lacey died Friday.  I miss her so much, it's hard to even write about her.  She was such a good dog, so happy and loved traveling.  When we would be getting the hybrid or now the trailer ready to go, Lacey would be ..."But I'm not dressed yet!  You aren't going without ME are you?"..  as soon as her traveling harness was put on the floor for her to step into, she was ready.  My angel dog.

  Lucky is acting different and wondering where his buddy has gone.  He was in the room when she died so he should know, but I always wonder.                                               

This little, not a lap dog, had to sit with both Bill and me the first night and he made it to the living room all on his own.  Last few years he has decided he doesn't like to walk on the slippery Pergo like floor, so he seldom comes out of the kitchen.  He is not sleeping like he did when Lacey was on alert and, I guess, his protector.  His hearing is poor and I would have to touch his fur to wake him for walks, now he always wakes as I come into the kitchen. 

I'm so sorry Gretchen... tough to read your post as I know your heart is hurting.  Sounds like you had a good pup there.

 

On 8/28/2016 at 9:32 AM, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Oh, Gretchen, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Lacey sounds like she was such a wonderful dog and had a lot in common with Kassie.  Kassie would get excited when we started packing the motorhome, but when she heard that diesel engine come to life she would start shaking with excitement.  It's gonna be hard to come to the Fort without her.  We'll arrive on Labor Day and would love to see you and Bill.  

Please give Lucky a hug for me.  It sounds like he is mourning too.  Would love to see a picture of the two of them.

Sending you hugs.

Hugs my friend... I know the first 24 hours at The Fort will be especially tough for you and David.  That and the drive down.  I'll be thinking of you both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry, Gretchen. 
It sounds like little Lacey is leaving behind a big hole and I hope in time all the wonderful memories you have of her will bring you some peace.  I also hope Lucky doesn't have too rough of an adjustment without her.  I remember when our first border collie died unexpectedly. She was instrumental in bringing Brady out of his shell and he was usually glued to her.  It took a while - routines changed, he had to sort out being on his own without her, but even though he had his own issues at the time, he adapted.

Thinking of you all and sending (((HUGS)))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Hugs my friend... I know the first 24 hours at The Fort will be especially tough for you and David.  That and the drive down.  I'll be thinking of you both.

Thank you, NaCole!  We've discovered that even packing without her around is depressing.  Brings back so many memories and so many things to dread.  David was saying this morning he thought he wouldn't even visit the dog walk, even though it's a pleasant place to go.  He thinks it would bring back too many bad memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Thank you, NaCole!  We've discovered that even packing without her around is depressing.  Brings back so many memories and so many things to dread.  David was saying this morning he thought he wouldn't even visit the dog walk, even though it's a pleasant place to go.  He thinks it would bring back too many bad memories.

I'm sure it will be tough... might be easier to ask for a different loop.  Tough to say I guess :(   I really like the 1400 loop and it is not "suppose" to be a pet loop.  That might be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I'm sure it will be tough... might be easier to ask for a different loop.  Tough to say I guess :(   I really like the 1400 loop and it is not "suppose" to be a pet loop.  That might be helpful.

David and I agree that we still want the 700 loop.  400 would be our second choice.  We both really like being close to the Settlement.  Of course if we were smaller we'd be requesting the 100 loop like you!  We stayed in 100 many times when we had our TT and really enjoyed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I'm so sorry Gretchen... tough to read your post as I know your heart is hurting.  Sounds like you had a good pup there.

She was a very good pup.

 

10 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I'm so sorry, Gretchen. 
It sounds like little Lacey is leaving behind a big hole and I hope in time all the wonderful memories you have of her will bring you some peace.  I also hope Lucky doesn't have too rough of an adjustment without her.  I remember when our first border collie died unexpectedly. She was instrumental in bringing Brady out of his shell and he was usually glued to her.  It took a while - routines changed, he had to sort out being on his own without her, but even though he had his own issues at the time, he adapted.

Thinking of you all and sending (((HUGS)))

Lacey came into my life when she was  6-8 weeks old.  I worked for the lady who bought her as a groomer to her many pets.  The very first time Lacey was groomed was when I fell in love with her.  Such a good little puppy, even for the toenails.  Every time I went to the house Lacey would be jumping and barking behind the puppy fence.  I asked if she did that all the time and was told  "No, only when you come."  so I think the love was mutual.  When the owner had to go to a nursing home I said I'd take Lacey, and was told you have to take Lucky too.  Lacey was 9 years by that time and Lucky almost 11. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Thank you, NaCole!  We've discovered that even packing without her around is depressing.  Brings back so many memories and so many things to dread.  David was saying this morning he thought he wouldn't even visit the dog walk, even though it's a pleasant place to go.  He thinks it would bring back too many bad memories.

It will be hard Gwen, but I'm hoping it brings lots of good memories of the fun times you had with Kassie.    And I'm looking forward to seeing you again.  Have a safe trip down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

David and I agree that we still want the 700 loop.  400 would be our second choice.  We both really like being close to the Settlement.  Of course if we were smaller we'd be requesting the 100 loop like you!  We stayed in 100 many times when we had our TT and really enjoyed it.

Yep, we really loved the 100 loop.... stinkin' pet "policy" :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Lacey came into my life when she was  6-8 weeks old.  I worked for the lady who bought her as a groomer to her many pets.  The very first time Lacey was groomed was when I fell in love with her.  Such a good little puppy, even for the toenails.  Every time I went to the house Lacey would be jumping and barking behind the puppy fence.  I asked if she did that all the time and was told  "No, only when you come."  so I think the love was mutual.  When the owner had to go to a nursing home I said I'd take Lacey, and was told you have to take Lucky too.  Lacey was 9 years by that time and Lucky almost 11. 

What a great memory!  I really believe pets choose us as much as we choose them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to make a tough call on Ellie yesterday. Her tumors started getting infected and the vet said antibiotics would be an uphill battle. Plus she wasn't eating and could barely get up off the floor. We know it was the best for her but very sad. Random things make me cry, like seeing a potato chip piece on the floor under the kitchen table. She got to spend her last days doing her favorite things - swimming and hanging out with us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 minutes ago, CJHokie said:

Had to make a tough call on Ellie yesterday. Her tumors started getting infected and the vet said antibiotics would be an uphill battle. Plus she wasn't eating and could barely get up off the floor. We know it was the best for her but very sad. Random things make me cry, like seeing a potato chip piece on the floor under the kitchen table. She got to spend her last days doing her favorite things - swimming and hanging out with us. 

Very sorry for your loss, they leave a big hole behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, CJHokie said:

Had to make a tough call on Ellie yesterday. Her tumors started getting infected and the vet said antibiotics would be an uphill battle. Plus she wasn't eating and could barely get up off the floor. We know it was the best for her but very sad. Random things make me cry, like seeing a potato chip piece on the floor under the kitchen table. She got to spend her last days doing her favorite things - swimming and hanging out with us. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  The Rainbow Bridge has received too many Fiend pets recently.  Hopefully Kassie, Lacey, and Ellie are happily running and playing together.

But like TCD said, you did the right thing for Ellie.  Just take life one hour at a time.  Soon you will be able to take life one day at a time.  Sending hugs to you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so sorry about Ellie. Making that decision to put them down is one of the hardest ones we have to make but you did the right thing for her.  I know she is up there in heaven playing with her new friends.  Sending my love and prayers to you and your family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sad to hear about the losses in this thread.  I agree the Rainbow Bridge has been seeing too many Fiend pets lately.  They leave a hole that is hard to mend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CJHokie said:

Had to make a tough call on Ellie yesterday. Her tumors started getting infected and the vet said antibiotics would be an uphill battle. Plus she wasn't eating and could barely get up off the floor. We know it was the best for her but very sad. Random things make me cry, like seeing a potato chip piece on the floor under the kitchen table. She got to spend her last days doing her favorite things - swimming and hanging out with us. 

Aw Ellie, so hard to say goodbye and so many things will remind your people of you.  Run free beautiful girl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Aw Ellie, so hard to say goodbye and so many things will remind your people of you.  Run free beautiful girl.

Let's see, today I have already 1) waited for her to run up to me during a thunderstorm 2) looked behind my rolling chair to make sure I didn't roll onto her tail 3) almost left some dropped chicken pieces on the floor for her to get. 

Thanks again, everyone. With so much crap on the internet, it's nice to have a good community with people who care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CJHokie said:

Let's see, today I have already 1) waited for her to run up to me during a thunderstorm 2) looked behind my rolling chair to make sure I didn't roll onto her tail 3) almost left some dropped chicken pieces on the floor for her to get. 

Thanks again, everyone. With so much crap on the internet, it's nice to have a good community with people who care. 

I so understand.  Kassie passed away on Father's Day, and I still see her running through the house ... still go to check on her ... still come home and expect her to run to the door to welcome us. The list goes on and on.  But my episodes are gradually getting farther apart.  Hugs to you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CJHokie said:

Let's see, today I have already 1) waited for her to run up to me during a thunderstorm 2) looked behind my rolling chair to make sure I didn't roll onto her tail 3) almost left some dropped chicken pieces on the floor for her to get. 

Thanks again, everyone. With so much crap on the internet, it's nice to have a good community with people who care. 

It's been 6 and 9 months respectively since my fur babies have gone and I still see them out of the corner of my eye in the bedroom at night or coming out of the bathroom where the litter boxes were, or some other place.  It's gotten a little better but I still miss them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×