Disney's latest attempt at Zika prevention

21 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

We too have postponed cruising and Disney World trips, because we'll be having a new baby in January! 

I read an article today about how it looks like Zika is not the cause of the microcephaly in Brazil, it pointed to a couple studies going on, but on the flip side there are tons of stories about how its just going to get worse.  At this point who knows what to trust.

My personal opinion is if I can avoid the potential risk I'm going to avoid it.  It's not worth taking a chance.

Are there concerns with Zika and infants?  I've had trouble finding that information. 

WBI

Congratulations on the coming new addition to your family.

At this point I don't think there has been much research into the effects of Zika so they are making statements based on short term observation. I would err on the side of caution until the medical establishment can get some longer term studies and data to determine if the Zika correlation to date is also the causation. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disney is now giving out Cutter mosquito spray to hotel guests at check in as part of their mosquito prevention program. They also have stations set up at Disney Springs and the parks for guests to gi

Well now that everyone is armed with their free can of bug spray, problem solved!  I've heard reports (unsubstantiated) of people cancelling trips because of fears over Zika.  This makes me wonde

Good to know, thanks for the update. We will be sure and pack plenty of our own for the trip in Oct. Our youngest daughter is a mosquito magnet (more so than me) and at any given time can have 15 -

On 8/31/2016 at 4:50 PM, WannaBeImagineer said:

We too have postponed cruising and Disney World trips, because we'll be having a new baby in January! 

I read an article today about how it looks like Zika is not the cause of the microcephaly in Brazil, it pointed to a couple studies going on, but on the flip side there are tons of stories about how its just going to get worse.  At this point who knows what to trust.

My personal opinion is if I can avoid the potential risk I'm going to avoid it.  It's not worth taking a chance.

Are there concerns with Zika and infants?  I've had trouble finding that information. 

WBI

First, congrats on baby #2.  That's awesome!! What a gift.  Second, I understand the fear and would probably take the same "better safe than sorry" approach. Thirdly...yes, there have been studies and I do believe that the increase in birth defects has more to do with the chemicals we put in our bodies/on our food....than a bug biting us.  Here are just a couple of articles: 

http://jeffreydachmd.com/2016/06/zika-virus-glyphosate-exposure-causing-microcephaly/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/08/16/birth-defects-brazil-not-zika-virus.aspx?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=facebookmercola_ranart&utm_campaign=20160827_birth-defects-brazil-not-zika-virus

http://www.floridabulldog.org/2016/08/gov-scotts-undisclosed-interest-in-zika-mosquito-control-company/

Money is always the big player.  Chemicals provide a way to produce "cheap" food.  But those chemicals are killing us.  Why we didn't think they would, is beyond me.  I know...I know... many of you have passed up my "young" 45 years, but the increase in "cheap" food (chemical after chemical) has increased dramatically over the past 20 years so your generation is only seeing the tail end of the beginning.

39 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

This is heartbreaking.  The poor bees already are in trouble and now this.

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Checked in last Wednesday and they are no longer giving out the spray.  They just provide a notice to use a repellant.

Good to know, thanks for the update.
We will be sure and pack plenty of our own for the trip in Oct. Our youngest daughter is a mosquito magnet (more so than me) and at any given time can have 15 - 20 bites on her if we don't keep some sort of repellent on her. I'm ready for it to cool off so those silly things will start to die off.

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

Checked in last Wednesday and they are no longer giving out the spray.  They just provide a notice to use a repellant.

Did they still have the stands set up in the parks and Disney Springs? They did over Labor Day weekend, with both products:

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/08/photos-disney-world-rolls-free-mosquito-repellent-combat-zika-virus/

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/09/photo-disney-world-changes-complimentary-mosquito-repellent-less-1-week-starting-program-fight-zika/

At Epcot we saw a a couple of older teens/early 20s pump handfuls of the foamy Picaridin and then spread it all over their faces like a beard to the amusement of the rest of their group. The CM at the table was talking to someone and didn't notice them. 

Edited by Seals
Edited to add: We didn't use any repellent and didn't get any mosquito bites.
52 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I doubt they will let them in the parks but I was given one of the thermacell personal repellers and a friend has some of the lanterns, and I have to say they work great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Would be interesting to see how they would react if someone tries to bring one in.

4 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

We checked into the Contemporary last week on Wednesday and the room had a bottle of bug spray in the one closet. The housekeeping carts had extra cans.

The parks still have the stands up as of yesterday.

The stands were still up in the MK today.

On 8/31/2016 at 4:50 PM, WannaBeImagineer said:

WBI

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

We've seen the fogging trucks out before during our stays.

I have too.

Generally, they do a great job controlling the mosquitos, but there have been times that they have been a problem during our visits.

And, if you venture out of the campground area, you'll find plenty of mosquitos.  They used to be awful on the Wilderness Swamp Trail, but you can't go there anymore.  They are still bad if you walk on the sand path along Bay Lake between the Fort and Lodge- but most of that is closed off at the moment because of the DVC construction at the Lodge.

TCD