To tow our car or rent a car....

We will be at Ft. Wilderness campground in our motorhome for two weeks in February, 2017.

We will not be going to the parks (been there, done that), but rather visiting the "free" areas of the resort and driving to other places in the area... Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.

My questions are:

1. If we tow our car down from Maryland, can we park it at the campsite (Premium campsite reserved), or do we have to park it at the overflow area and use our rented golf cart to get to and from the car.

2. If we rent a car at the resort, will they pick us up and take us to the car care center to get the rental?

Ed

Yes, you can park your car at your site along with the motorhome.  Plenty of room for that on a premium site.  No problem.

Yes, the rental companies will pick you up and bring you to the Car Care Center.  They pick up at the Outpost.  You can take an internal bus there from the closest bus stop to your loop.  Very easy.  Also- there are some resorts that you can get to with car rental desks.  The Swan/Dolphin and I know the "B" Resort at Disney Springs have car rental desks.  You can get to both of those via Disney Transportation.

TCD

I would compare the cost of towing it vs the cost of renting one. I just did a quick search through alamo (no discounts or anything ) and for 2 weeks picking up at the car care center prices started at around 560.00 and went up. That was for 2 weeks in mid February, economy car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

To help you shop around for a good deal on a rental, here's a link to the Mousavers site, which lists the different on-property hotels that have car rental desks: http://www.mousesavers.com/how-to-rent-a-car-at-walt-disney-world/

I don't know why they don't list Enterprise as a vendor- I have used their location at the B Resort near Disney Springs twice: https://www.enterprise.com/en/car-rental/locations/gpbr.us-fl-b-resort.0796.html  I was told it was OK to use the Disney Springs resort transportation buses to and from the parks, and that worked out fine for me.

TCD

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've decided to rent  a car while there. I used the AutoSlash web site to reserve a car and I think I got a pretty good deal.

Financially, it is cheaper to haul the car down and back... but the convenience is hard to pass up.

If we were going to sight-see other places going down and/or back up to Maryland, then I would definitely tow the car.

Reservation is made and they will shuttle me to and from the Car Care Center which is only about  a mile or so from Ft. Wilderness.  Also, I will be able to park the car at our camping site, so no need to travel back and forth to the overflow area at the Outpost. I am quite satisfied with that.

Thanks again for all your help.

PS.. Do you have to show something at the gate to get into the Fort when leaving and returning via the rental car??? Perhaps the Magic wristband or something?

13 minutes ago, ekuhlman said:

PS.. Do you have to show something at the gate to get into the Fort when leaving and returning via the rental car??? Perhaps the Magic wristband or something?

Make sure to ask for a paper parking pass when you check in.  These are supposedly being phased out, but I was given a couple upon request back last month.  You shouldn't need the pass, but it's nice to have in case there's any kind of glitch with the MagicBands.

As a resort guest, you will be issued MagicBands for each member of your party.  If you haven't already done so, be sure to go online and pick your colors and what names you want imprinted on them.  They will be mailed to you so you receive them before you leave home.

Those MagicBands will open the returning guest gates at the Fort. There are two such gates- one at the guard shack where you initially arrive for check-in, and the other at the exit to the overflow parking lot.  That alternate gate is usually less busy.  The MagicBands can be scanned by the guards at the entrance shacks at the other resorts and by the parking attendants at the theme parks.

TCD

If you are only parking your Motor Home at one location, like Fort Wilderness, I would leave your car home and rent a car.  I drive a gas powered Motor home so if you are driving a diesel pusher you might think differently.  I just find it easier to drive the MH when I'm not towing anything.  Maneuvering in gas stations and overnight camp sites is just easier without the toad.  The money you save is not that great to me.  However if I'm traveling with stops at many locations or we are touring a region of the country then the car is necessary.  Particularly if you are going to national parks or towns with narrow streets or limited parking.  Just my two cents.