newbie with dogs to campsite

plan on visiting in 2017, still in the planning stages with everything. Few questions about having the dogs with me their. I'm driving in but will be renting an Rv, full hook up is what I'm going with. Can you suggest a pet loop and specific site?

Potty time- Looking at videos and pictures, I see lots of dirt and pine needles...is this what the dogs potty on? Tell me there's another option? Mine are used to grass (super spoiled and high maintenance to say the least). Any suggestions? Should I look at another loop section? Is there a grassy area behind some of the pet friendly sites that they could potty on? Both of my dogs have fluffy coats, read in another thread that stuff from the trees gets stuck in her dog's coat. Hoping to get around this if possible.

Spending the day at the Parks- What are your park days like? How often do you come back to to campsite?

Thanks for any help!

WELCOME!

Full hookup loops are 1600 - 1900 and 2100. All are pet loops. (2100 is a new camping loop recently converted from cabins). We don't know how that loop has been designated as far as pets.

Most loops have a patch of grass here and there, but yes, it's mostly natural ground cover. There are grassy walking areas along some of the canals, and there is a large off leash dog area with lots of grass.

As far as park days, even without pets, we usually don't leave the campground till after lunch and get back after dinner.

cool! I didn't know 2100 was opening up. Thinking of making a grass pad with sod...still researching options.

I wish I could do half park days, I'm a park open to park close type. Since it's our first time taking dogs, I know it will be different. Was thinking come back to campsite for a couple of hours around noon then head back out.

Thanks for the reply!

We always stayed in the 700 loop to avoid cypress tree droppings.  We had a Miniature Schnauzer who passed away on Father's Day this year.  The cypress droppings would stick to her hair like glue, and we spent 20-30 minutes each time she went out cleaning her up.  700 has a dog walk that is clear of cypress.

13 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

We always stayed in the 700 loop to avoid cypress tree droppings.  We had a Miniature Schnauzer who passed away on Father's Day this year.  The cypress droppings would stick to her hair like glue, and we spent 20-30 minutes each time she went out cleaning her up.  700 has a dog walk that is clear of cypress.

I can attest to The Great Cypress Mess in the 300 loop.  Depending on the time of year, after Brady walks through the site it looks like he's dragging a broom.

But it's still our favorite loop, so I pack a brush for the dogs, frequently yell at gently remind DH to leave his shoes outside, and deal with it.  ;)

Thanks for all the replies! You guys have talked me into checking out 700 and 600. Really like 700 sites more! Is there a map that shows the site numbers. On the videos, it's hard to identify. also where does the dog walk fall with in the sites? Is it noisy with dogs always going through? My two will start a bark war if it's too loud with other dogs around. Other wise they're good and well behaved, just don't want to be a nuisance to my neighbors if I can avoid it.

The sites on the left hand side of the 700 loop back up to the dog walk. We stayed just past midway through the loop last year in September and I think the only people/dog I saw on that end of the walk were our neighbors and a couple of CMs exploring. Where we were there was a bit of a berm between the back of our site and the dog walk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like the 1600 loop because they have sites that back up to a canal with a lot of grass for my dog to sniff.  When we go to the parks one of us will come back in the early afternoon to walk the dog and refresh ourselves.  Look up Fort Wilderness on Google earth to find the site numbers for the 500, 600, and 1600 loops. Then with about 5-6 days before your arrival fax your request to the reservation manager at the fort.  The letter format and the numbers are on this site.  Have a great time.