It's Hot, Hot, HOT!

Friday, 9/9:

After breakfast at TE, we went to Animal Kingdom.  Our first encounter was with DeVine.

DSC_1621_zpshpzzly1c.jpg

Next up was the Safari.  I think we saw the most animals we've ever seen.  And a first, I actually saw the lion's face.

DSC_1668%20copy_zpsucbsedot.jpg

Then we walked the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail.

DSC_1691_zps1qk1zhv6.jpg

Last was a visit to Finding Nemo.

DSC_1722%20copy_zpspfnsbjzn.jpg

After AK we made a WalMart run, back to Dolly for dinner, and then off to MK for ice cream.  

DSC_1784%20copy_zpstfvy5sri.jpg

On our way out of the MK I spent too much money at the Pandora store.  

Pain-wise this was a good day.  The weather was great -- only a few sprinkles.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This tiger was asleep on its back and suddenly woke up and looked directly at me!

I've been coming by both of your sites but haven't been able to catch either of you at home.  Maybe one day soon!

Storm last night was a big one, but my trusty old Coleman Bayside Pop-up handled it with style...I just love the sound of rain on the canvas! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Re the neighbors.  That guy told us he comes to the Fort for a couple of weeks several times every year.  But once he's here a few days, he wants to go home.  He's thinking about quitting camping.

LOL.  I think I had a similar conversation with him 5 years ago.  I'll bet he'll be around for most of your trip.  He's a character.

I think I did have your cell # at one point, but please PM it to me.  I don't have any definite plans to be back at WDW in the next few weeks, but day trips pop up quickly for me lately.

TCD

19 hours ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

Awesome pictures Gwen!

Thank you!

12 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

I agree!  Love the sleeping lion and the gorilla looks so close!  Glad the pain was down that day, hoping for many more like that.

Thanks, Gretchen.  I'm hoping for more low pain days too, but the storm we're having right now sure isn't helping!

10 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Glad to hear that your pain was better.   Love the lion picture...here kitty-kitty-kitty :rolleyes:

He looks so peaceful, doesn't he?

7 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Are you not using an ECV this trip?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, I am using my ECV.   I couldn't do the parks without it.

7 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

LOL.  I think I had a similar conversation with him 5 years ago.  I'll bet he'll be around for most of your trip.  He's a character.

I think I did have your cell # at one point, but please PM it to me.  I don't have any definite plans to be back at WDW in the next few weeks, but day trips pop up quickly for me lately.

TCD

He and his wife are spending their days here babysitting their grandchild.  They walk the dogs a couple of times a day, but that's the only time we see them out.  He says they are leaving 9/15.  We'll see.

I messaged you with my phone number.

Saturday, 9/10:

After a light breakfast in Dolly, we went to MK.  Buzz, PeopleMover, Pooh.  Then we went to Cosmic Ray's and split a Greek salad:

DSC_1823%20copy_zps3zt7fcxj.jpg

It was better than it looks.

After lunch we rode 7DMT.  I tried to get a picture of the witch, but all I got was her basket:

DSC_1860%20copy_zpsjwdcn4lj.jpg

The castle was looking good (except for the crane):

DSC_1832%20copy_zpseaj2vmoh.jpg

The crane was holding up a bucket with workers who were painting the roof and installing the Christmas lights:

DSC_1825%20copy_zpsnvobiheo.jpg

I tried to get artsy with this next shot, but I finally realized I would have to lay on the ground to get it ilke I wanted it.  So I gave up.

DSC_1838%20copy_zpsvozwumtg.jpg

What a small world!  We met a couple who live about two miles from us and are good friends with our ex next-door neighbors of 30 years.

Finally we headed back to the Fort.

DSC_1862%20copy_zpsxxxl81y2.jpg

It was so hot that day!  The heat bothered me more than usual.  My ankles and feet were really swollen.  But it was still a great day.

Remember the days when Disney used to,do,maintenance at night when the park was closed to prevent guests from experiencing anything that would take away the magic?  I do.  Barely.  I don't think I've had a picture of the castle without that ugly crane in it for over 20 years.

11 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I am really wishing this thunderstorm would be over.  It's been raining for hours.

Yesterday was weird, don't know if the sun shone at all, I was indoors mostly.  And coming home  from the   Longwood area ran into heavy rain on I-4.  Certainly not fun to drive in either.  Thought about you and all the other campers, especially the ones in tents, pop-ups or hybrids.  Some lightning but mostly down pour of rain. And now today is beautiful, hope you are out and about enjoying it.

14 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Saturday, 9/10:

After a light breakfast in Dolly, we went to MK.  Buzz, PeopleMover, Pooh.  Then we went to Cosmic Ray's and split a Greek salad:

DSC_1823%20copy_zps3zt7fcxj.jpg

It was better than it looks.

I certainly hope it was better than it looks.

What the Fort is on top of the salad?

In Tarpon Springs, which is just a few miles north of me, they know how to make a Greek salad.  Disney ought to check with them.

TCD

1 hour ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Thought about you and all the other campers, especially the ones in tents, pop-ups or hybrids.

Same here, considering a Tropical Storm was formed out of that mess. We had tornados touch down just south of us on the East Coast. 

Cody

10 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Yesterday was weird, don't know if the sun shone at all, I was indoors mostly.  And coming home  from the   Longwood area ran into heavy rain on I-4.  Certainly not fun to drive in either.  Thought about you and all the other campers, especially the ones in tents, pop-ups or hybrids.  Some lightning but mostly down pour of rain. And now today is beautiful, hope you are out and about enjoying it.

8 hours ago, FunFinder265....Cody said:

Same here, considering a Tropical Storm was formed out of that mess. We had tornados touch down just south of us on the East Coast. 

Cody

Duh :rolleyes: I learned tonight about the TS.  Not watching a lot of or enough  TV I guess.  And no wonder it seemed like  hurricane weather.

20 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Dude!!!! Those pics of the lion and gorilla are outstanding.  The amount of resting / peaceful POWER into those two pics is insane.

Sidenote: the pic of the worker putting up Christmas lights makes me smile.

10 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

Remember the days when Disney used to,do,maintenance at night when the park was closed to prevent guests from experiencing anything that would take away the magic?  I do.  Barely.  I don't think I've had a picture of the castle without that ugly crane in it for over 20 years.

10 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

10 hours ago, jmaul said:

Great Shot. Laid Back n Peaceful.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I certainly hope it was better than it looks.

What the Fort is on top of the salad?

In Tarpon Springs, which is just a few miles north of me, they know how to make a Greek salad.  Disney ought to check with them.

TCD

It was the "grilled chicken."  Could have used more grilling.  We have a large Greek community in our hometown too and are accustomed to good salads.  This one wasn't bad. It beat a CS burger.

9 hours ago, Travisma said:

Looks like a chunk of pressed (depressed?) chicken?

Where's the scoop of potato salad?

Who puts potato salad on a Greek salad?  Never heard of it.

9 hours ago, FunFinder265....Cody said:

Cody

Glad you're okay!

Sunday, 9/11:

After a quick breakfast in Dolly, we headed to EPCOT to use our FP+s for Soarin'.  The new film is great.  But see anything odd?

DSC_1888%20copy_zpsekak97o4.jpg

DSC_1889%20copy_zpsudw9deit.jpg

DSC_1890%20copy_zpsbeqkmx47.jpg

DSC_1893%20copy_zpszcbyib8l.jpg

DSC_1894%20copy_zpszwa7apxk.jpg

We were seated in the last two seats next to my scooter.  Everything was so distorted!

After Soarin' we enjoyed WS.  I love this picture from the UK gardens.  The water drop looks almost like a diamond in this caladium leaf:

DSC_1907%20copy_zpsgo6yyybz.jpg

I've wanted to try Spice Road Table for years, and I finally convinced David.

DSC_1911%20copy_zpst0qklxgj.jpg

I had the fried calamari.  Some of it was pretty good, but some of it was terrible.  David said it tasted like fried rubber bands.

DSC_1921%20copy_zpsgk3pcqqi.jpg

He had the lamb sausage, which was a little spicy for him but I thought it was good.

DSC_1922%20copy_zpszerouzu9.jpg

Afterwards David wanted dessert, so we went to the CS at the American Pavilion and he got peach cobbler.

DSC_1930%20copy_zps0i85iqqx.jpg

We both agreed it wasn't good.  It wasn't sweet enough, had very few pieces of peach, and, of all things, it was topped with oatmeal.

Here's the new entertainment in Italy. A little better than the flag wavers.

DSC_1933%20copy_zpsew9wtiua.jpg

And this is the entertainment in Germany.  I didn't hear any yodeling.

DSC_1941%20copy_zpszvniswbu.jpg

We walked the rest of the way around WS and then came back to the Fort and went looping before I cooked dinner.

Monday, 9/12:

A DHS day.  First up was TSMM.  We got to ride the new track, which was great.  If you ride the original tracks, you either have to climb stairs or, like me, go up a disability ramp and board at a different location from everyone else.  If you ride the new track, ECVs can go along with everyone else because there are no stairs.  It was great!

DSC_1956_zpsi9awmwi6.jpg

DSC_1963%20copy_zpsvd44usxq.jpg

DSC_1969%20copy_zpsy9gmqetj.jpg

The exit of the new track takes you all the way down to the end of the road and against the construction fence.

We had lunch at the Derby Lounge.  We each had a cobb salad ...

DSC_1979%20copy_zpsn31c8nmi.jpg

And then we split the HBD Dessert Trio.  (Okay, I had just a few bites.)

DSC_1987%20copy_zpsr3wpbmqh.jpg

That was (left to right) Double Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee, Brown Derby Original! Mini Grapefruit Cake, and Chocolate Marscapone Spere Infused with Apricot-Orange Jam.  The creme brulee was liquidy (is that a word?}   I didn't care for the consistency.  The grapefruit cake was wonderful!  I thought I was in heaven until I tasted the chocolate.  Oh, my!  There are no words!

After lunch we saw Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

DSC_2022%20copy_zpskcorsoi4.jpg

Then we left DHS and drove over to POFQ.  I'd always wanted to visit there.

DSC_2053%20copy_zpsfgpjgtub.jpg

DSC_2059%20copy_zpsfdc1bk9s.jpg

Then we decided to walk over to POR.  We stayed there in 2004 when we drove down for a quick trip to attend Matthew and Erica's wedding.  We visited Boatwright's Dining Hall, where we held the rehearsal dinner.

DSC_2071%20copy_zpsddpaxhrq.jpg

We walked over to the bridge where we took prewedding photos.

DSC_2079%20copy_zpspeevhetq.jpg

We were disappointed that the water wheel wasn't working.

DSC_2081%20copy_zpsfyzu12oa.jpg

The entire area has really changed.

We walked back to POFQ, where I saw these two bromeliads:

DSC_2088%20copy_zpsgs05w12w.jpg

DSC_2089%20copy_zpsl3c6vqvg.jpg

Bromeliads are epiphytes.  They never cease to amaze me.

We made our way back to Dolly, and it started raining.  Just enough to cool things down a bit.  After the rain stopped, we went looping for awhile. Then I cooked dinner and we crashed.