4 hours ago, CJHokie said:

I don't actually remember it. I was alive, but not driving. But I do remember hearing about it.

I can remember a couple of other shortages since I've been driving, but I don't remember what caused them. I assume I was living in Charlotte since I've been here my whole adult life.

5 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

David talked to Matthew in Raleigh last night.  He said lots of stations are out there too.  If stations are out in GSO and HP, I'm sure they are in W-S; also.  Anyone else remember the long lines and insane prices of the '70s?

Weren't those insane prices like 70 cents a gallon? I also remember waiting in a few gas lines in the car with my mom.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The part of this that jumps out at me is that this was one break in one pipeline. What happens when there is, God Forbid, a real problem? If the energy supply for an entire region is so fragile t

I'm in the Raleigh area and many of the gas stations here and in the surrounding counties are out of gas. The lines I've seen on the news at those stations with gas reminds me of the 70''s gas shortag

I was thinking the same thing. Our electrical grid is just as fragile. Not to turn this into a political debate but you are seeing the results of the US not investing in upkeep of our existing infrast

4 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Weren't those insane prices like 70 cents a gallon? I also remember waiting in a few gas lines in the car with my mom.

I think the prices were  $1.50 to $2.00 a gallon in our area.  A lot of money for those days.  

I remember those days, there was not any shortage of gas, I bought gas everyday in my work truck and never saw a station that had no gas, the bulk plants were even filling up the tanks at closed station because they did not have enough storage capacity in their yards. It was  just a reason to raise the price per gallon. There was a closed station across the street from my in laws and we would watch the tankers come in late at night to drop off fuel and when they claimed the shortage was over and the price went up they came and pumped it back out.

I think average was $1.25 a gallon. That is the year we went to Colorado by Greyhound bus instead of driving because my dad was afraid that because of the odd/even days we wouldn't be able to get gas. Driving cross country on a bus was another adventure within itself, things you see on a bus.

The part of this that jumps out at me is that this was one break in one pipeline. What happens when there is, God Forbid, a real problem?

If the energy supply for an entire region is so fragile that it is disrupted by one failure in one subsystem then what would be the result if there were two or three failures either natural or man made?

I know you can't plan for every contingency but if your entire area is dependent on a single supply source for fuel it's time to start building more pipelines.

I'm in the Raleigh area and many of the gas stations here and in the surrounding counties are out of gas. The lines I've seen on the news at those stations with gas reminds me of the 70''s gas shortage. I think most of the shortage has to do with panic buying as a lot of folks were found to be topping off tanks. That added to a number of the big chains like Sheetz getting their normal deliveries on Monday created a false shortage. If folks hadn't panicked there should have been plenty of gas for everyone to get through as we are still getting about a third on the normal gas delivered. Prices went from the low $1.90's to $2.20'ish. Makes me glad I have a 36 gallon tank in the truck. I also fill the wife's car when it gets down to around half a tank so something like this really won't affect us. 

19 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

The part of this that jumps out at me is that this was one break in one pipeline. What happens when there is, God Forbid, a real problem?

If the energy supply for an entire region is so fragile that it is disrupted by one failure in one subsystem then what would be the result if there were two or three failures either natural or man made?

I know you can't plan for every contingency but if your entire area is dependent on a single supply source for fuel it's time to start building more pipelines.

I was thinking the same thing. Our electrical grid is just as fragile. Not to turn this into a political debate but you are seeing the results of the US not investing in upkeep of our existing infrastructure (public and private) and not building new stuff to keep up with the country's population shift and increase.

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

I was thinking the same thing. Our electrical grid is just as fragile. Not to turn this into a political debate but you are seeing the results of the US not investing in upkeep of our existing infrastructure (public and private) and not building new stuff to keep up with the country's population shift and increase.

Especially true in FL and our county.

Things are falling apart all around the county, they cut the Sherrifs budget, but the commissioners voted to spend $ Millions on an amateur athletic complex.  They said we will attract groups from all around the US.  But we are only an hour from Disney's Wide World of Sports complex.  Can you say white elephant? It'll sit empty or local pee wee groups will end up using it.

30 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Especially true in FL and our county.

Things are falling apart all around the county, they cut the Sherrifs budget, but the commissioners voted to spend $ Millions on an amateur athletic complex.  They said we will attract groups from all around the US.  But we are only an hour from Disney's Wide World of Sports complex.  Can you say white elephant? It'll sit empty or local pee wee groups will end up using it.

Also true in the county to the west of yours.

The idiots in charge of the St. Petersburg sewer system deliberately failed to address issues that needed attention.  God forbid that they use tax dollars for something silly like infrastructure.  We need to spend those tax dollars on more important stuff, like building major league baseball stadiums so some millionaire can field a team with the lowest payroll and one of the worst records in MLB and demand a new stadium because his investment has not been as profitable as he would like.

Along comes a very small hurricane, and the sewer system is overwhelmed, and they end up dumping MILLIONS of gallons of raw sewage into Tampa Bay.  MILLIONS of gallons!

http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/water/tampa-bays-sewage-mess-29-million-gallons-spilled-into-the-bay-and-rising/2292477

If a private company did that, heads would roll.

But, since it's the government, it's fine.

TCD

But it isn't just government it also permeates private companies too. The pipeline break is one example. Look at how many folks in this day and age lose power from everyday thunderstorms. The Duke coal ash spill here in NC a couple of years ago or the BP Deepwater Horizon are yet other examples. We've gotten to the point where spending money on upkeep and maintenance is considered bad regardless of who owns the infrastructure.  

I'll admit we did fill up right after I heard about it. Back in 2011 tornadoes tore through our part of the state in North Alabama and that left the power off in large areas for a good week. We had about a 1/4 tank of gas and I was concerned about where we were going to get more. Thankfully no real shortage materialized this time.

If 2011 was any eye opener for us it was how woefully unprepared we were personally, and just how sorry local news media was. We probably would have made an impromptu trip to the fort then to avoid it if we had any clue if we could make it to a gas station with gas while towing our camper.  I mean, you would think a communications company could wrangle up some HAM radio operators within their midst to find out what was going on regionally, but noooo..

34 minutes ago, Friend of a Fiend ... Pam said:

Our news is reporting that everything should be back to normal supply-wise in a couple of days.

I noticed coming home today that all the stations I saw had gas again... a bit more expensive, but they had it. 

3 hours ago, geoffdaddy said:

I'll admit we did fill up right after I heard about it. Back in 2011 tornadoes tore through our part of the state in North Alabama and that left the power off in large areas for a good week. We had about a 1/4 tank of gas and I was concerned about where we were going to get more. Thankfully no real shortage materialized this time.

If 2011 was any eye opener for us it was how woefully unprepared we were personally, and just how sorry local news media was. We probably would have made an impromptu trip to the fort then to avoid it if we had any clue if we could make it to a gas station with gas while towing our camper.  I mean, you would think a communications company could wrangle up some HAM radio operators within their midst to find out what was going on regionally, but noooo..

Yeah, I didn't run out and fill mine up, but they were both low, almost on E, so I had to get gas anyway. But I totally agree with your preparedness thing. When I was in college we had 2 bad ice storms one winter with long power outages. The 2nd one was a few days before spring break, so everyone just left early for that.  I was driving my dad's car down to FL and it was on E.  We went to station after station but nobody had power. Finally found one right at the interstate, and I know we were running on fumes. 

2 minutes ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I noticed coming home today that all the stations I saw had gas again... a bit more expensive, but they had it. 

I noticed this morning the one closest me had bags on all the pumps. There were a couple more stations about 10 min away that I didn't see any bags on handles, but my friend said those only had regular (perfect for my car).

The 70's gas "crisis" was one of my first experiences living on my own.  It was an adventure waiting in line to see if you could buy gas.  A few times, my car remained parked "in line" for two days because I didn't have any gas to move it.  What a nightmare!  On the flip side, I stayed in shape because I walked ALOT!! 

I hope everything gets back to normal quickly for everyone affected.

I just returned from a business trip to Richmond, VA and up through the Tysons, VA area (Washington, DC), and even though VA was listed as one of the "problem states" I never saw any issues with gas...  I left last Sunday evening and just got back this morning...

On 9/21/2016 at 3:58 PM, geoffdaddy said:

I was actually out of town in my camper when that occurred, but my family was home. Fortunately, it was only about a 30 mile circle. Hubby was able to go to Athens, and the boys went to TN and Gulf Shores respectively. Me being out of town helped, because I was able to call hotels in the surrounding areas, whereas hubby was not able to get a call out.

On 9/20/2016 at 8:55 AM, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Anyone else remember the long lines and insane prices of the '70s?

The insane prices of the 70's are no where near as bad as we pay today.  It went up in price to actually 71 cents per gallon!