Filled up the DW's car last evening. No lines and there appeared to be plenty of regular but no mid grade or high test. Paid $2.16/gal. That is about 22 cents higher than I paid last week before the pipeline break.

I too remember the 70's oil embargo. The shortage didn't affect me too much as I drove an Austin America which got about 20 mpg but seeing the price go from +/- 20 cents/gal to close to a dollar was disconcerting to a teenager of limited means. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The part of this that jumps out at me is that this was one break in one pipeline. What happens when there is, God Forbid, a real problem? If the energy supply for an entire region is so fragile t

I'm in the Raleigh area and many of the gas stations here and in the surrounding counties are out of gas. The lines I've seen on the news at those stations with gas reminds me of the 70''s gas shortag

I was thinking the same thing. Our electrical grid is just as fragile. Not to turn this into a political debate but you are seeing the results of the US not investing in upkeep of our existing infrast

13 minutes ago, CJHokie said:

Went to the gas station closest to my house yesterday and they didn't have premium or the mid one at any pump. I thought the shortage was over? Guess not.

We have a bunch of gas stations up here that a few years back just stopped carrying those grades. I think its just wasnt worth the purchase of it for them because so few of their customers were buying it. 

4 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

We have a bunch of gas stations up here that a few years back just stopped carrying those grades. I think its just wasnt worth the purchase of it for them because so few of their customers were buying it. 

Interesting. Pretty sure it is coming back here as they had signs printed and taped to the pumps. I don't remember what they said but it seemed temporary.

1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I ran into that on the way home from Ohio. I actually do put premium in my truck. It has made a difference.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I ran into that on the way home from Ohio. I actually do put premium in my truck. It has made a difference.

We have one vehicle that takes premium and two that take regular. FTR, you're supposed to only use the grade your manual says. We had a friend who put premium in her Ford Explorer while the manual said regular, and after her it broke down the mechanic said it was due to using the premium gas.

ETA: Of course googling this shows it shouldn't damage your car but everything I saw says you're wasting money if your car doesn't say to use it.

The needing a grade different than what the owners manual specifies depends upon the vehicle. The 3.0L V6 in my old Mazda B3000 (aka Ford Ranger) was known to get carbon build up in the cylinder heads over time. This carbon buildup results in pre-ignition particularly in hot weather. Something like Sea Foam treatment run into the intake would help for some vehicles but the carbon would still build up over time. For mine all I did was run the mid-grade during the summer which took care of the pre-ignition for not too much more money. 

I own a 71 Volvo 1800E that needs leaded, Ethanol free, 97 octane fuel. It is getting harder to find Ethanol free but it is still out there if you look hard enough. I don't live near a race track so there is nothing over 93 octane at the pumps. So these days I spend more time playing chemist at the pump to make up for the lack of lead and low octane than I do pumping the gas. 

38 minutes ago, keith_h said:

The needing a grade different than what the owners manual specifies depends upon the vehicle. The 3.0L V6 in my old Mazda B3000 (aka Ford Ranger) was known to get carbon build up in the cylinder heads over time. This carbon buildup results in pre-ignition particularly in hot weather. Something like Sea Foam treatment run into the intake would help for some vehicles but the carbon would still build up over time. For mine all I did was run the mid-grade during the summer which took care of the pre-ignition for not too much more money. 

I own a 71 Volvo 1800E that needs leaded, Ethanol free, 97 octane fuel. It is getting harder to find Ethanol free but it is still out there if you look hard enough. I don't live near a race track so there is nothing over 93 octane at the pumps. So these days I spend more time playing chemist at the pump to make up for the lack of lead and low octane than I do pumping the gas. 

I am right near the speedway in Concord, and sure enough we have pumps that say racing fuel around.

BTW - my very first vehicle was a hand-me-down Mazda B2000. Had it for part of college (which is kind of a curse since you end up hauling everybody's stuff everywhere) and then for a year here in CLT. It wouldn't idle low enough to pass the emissions test so I gave it back to my dad in VA.

15 hours ago, DinDavie said:

Just bought gas in Columbia South Carolina (Oct 3, 2016) for 2.01 a gallon. No shortages that I can see.

My husband had to use regular the other day because the 2 stations around us were both still out of premium and mid. 

I was wondering how SC was faring with gas after I heard the gov say to make sure your gas tank was full when you evacuating the coast.

The pipeline break crisis is a couple weeks behind us and supplies are pretty much back to normal around Atlanta.  Whereas prices spiked as soon as the leak was announced, prices are mostly still up as of this morning.  Surely they are going to drop back soon. HA!  Maybe they are waiting until after the holiday weekend so they can soak us a little longer.  I hate to waste my Kroger discounts today if the price will drop below the discounted rate tomorrow.  :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/the-latest-gas-prices-could-soon-rise-after-pipeline-blast/2016/11/01/2a81b1d0-a04e-11e6-8864-6f892cad0865_story.html

The Latest: Company: Main gas pipeline out for rest of week

HELENA, Ala. — The Latest on the Alabama pipeline explosion (all times local):

1:40 p.m.:

Colonial Pipeline says it has restarted one of its two main pipelines after an explosion in Alabama, but anticipates that its main gasoline line will remain down the rest of this week.

The Georgia-based company said in a statement Tuesday that it restarted its Line 2, which transports diesel, jet fuel and other products, around 11 a.m. Central Time Tuesday.

Colonial shut down both of its main lines after Monday’s blast, which killed a worker and injured several others.

A Colonial Pipeline leak last month led to gas shortages and rising prices across the South.

After the September leak, Colonial said it made up some of the gasoline shortfall by sending gas through the line that usually carries diesel and jet fuel. The company has not said whether it intends to do so again.

We have a camping trip this weekend so as soon as I heard about the explosion I decided to go fill up. So did everyone else as the stations around me are a zoo. Fortunately we had already filled the wife's car over the weekend and with the truck's 36 gallon tank even with the trip I will be able to ride out any shortages.

We have two trucks, one diesel and the other gas... the gas truck was about 3/4 full yesterday, but I filled it up when I saw stations jumping in price.  Good thing I did as I filled up at $2.07 in the morning; that evening, the same station was $2.29/gallon.  I don't drive a lot so... this tank should last me a good 10 days or so.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

There goes gassing up for less in NJ when we drive to NY!

Hey, they have to pay those pump jockeys a living wage.

Has nothing to do with pumping of the gas. They need money for the Transportation Trust Fund to fix and maintain the roads. Of course, only in NJ do we have a dilemma to see if all the money should go to the TTF or it should be up to the legislature to dole it out. That decision is not as easy as it sounds, because supposedly if it all goes toward the TTF the government is going to borrow against it anyway. I need to get out....

50 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Has nothing to do with pumping of the gas. They need money for the Transportation Trust Fund to fix and maintain the roads. Of course, only in NJ do we have a dilemma to see if all the money should go to the TTF or it should be up to the legislature to dole it out. That decision is not as easy as it sounds, because supposedly if it all goes toward the TTF the government is going to borrow against it anyway. I need to get out....

Sounds like NJ learned a thing or two from the Feds since they have been robbing SS for ages. 

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Sounds like NJ learned a thing or two from the Feds since they have been robbing SS for ages. 

4 minutes ago, keith_h said:

And the Postal Service pension fund.

Oh no!!!! They have been robbing funds forever, they just figured out a way to make it "legal". Our state pension funds have been so far behind for many years from getting robbed starting with Christie Whitman and they decided not to pay it back. I may see my pension, I may not.