I just paid $156 a night for a campsite

WTF?  I seriously tried to talk the family into letting me sell the RV after our thanksgiving trip since fort wilderness is where we camp 95% of the time and I knew the rates would continue to climb each year. Well, they would have none of that so we will continue to be RVers.  Anyways, they wanted to make sure we had reservations for our annual spring break trip which has now turned out to be one of the most expensive times at Disney, and boy did I find out it was.  We reserved a premium site for $156 a night for the week.  Am I crazy?  I know I could save just a few bucks with different type of site, but it's really not worth it in my opinion.  We have also been without AP for a year now, and nobody really minded, but after booking yesterday, I was coaxed into getting the Florida resident Epcot after 4pm passes.  For about $250 each, I didn't think it was that bad of a deal.   The whole family is over the crowds at MK, HS is a mess with nothing to do and I never liked AK even though rivers of light is opening.   We always enjoyed Epcot the most with their special events, dining choices and now with a new ride and sorin overhauled, I think it was a good choice 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For as long as there have been internet message boards, there have been many threads like this one.  We complain about the prices, swear that the latest price increase is the proverbial straw that bro

Costly.....yes Worth it....yes Tough to rationalize during the other 51 weeks of the year......yes.

WTF?  I seriously tried to talk the family into letting me sell the RV after our thanksgiving trip since fort wilderness is where we camp 95% of the time and I knew the rates would continue to climb e

Think about those poor souls who pay $400 plus for one hotel room that only sleeps 4 - $156 is pricey considering, but I routinely pay $65 a nite around here (Smokey Mountains - TN/NC) for a "nice" campground that can't hold a candle to the Fort!

I just wish they would put some more back into the Fort - bring the RR back, something! - if they are going to charge rates like that!

7 minutes ago, Humphrey Bear…Rob said:

Think about those poor souls who pay $400 plus for one hotel room that only sleeps 4 - $156 is pricey considering, but I routinely pay $65 a nite around here (Smokey Mountains - TN/NC) for a "nice" campground that can't hold a candle to the Fort!

I just wish they would put some more back into the Fort - bring the RR back, something! - if they are going to charge rates like that!

Agree with everything being stated, but we all know that if you don't take the site, there are tons more willing to.

And Disney knows it.

I agree with everything said on here as well. Just never thought I'd see the day I would even be paying over $100 for a site.  When compared to the price of a Disney hotel room, it's usually a bargin.  I also agree they should do more at the fort.  At least towels at the pool would be a great start

For as long as there have been internet message boards, there have been many threads like this one.  We complain about the prices, swear that the latest price increase is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, but then we suck it up and go back.

Disney always wins.

And that's not a bad thing.  S71/Dave, enjoy these times with your family.  Life gets more complicated as your kids get older.  The memories you are creating now are worth way more than the ridiculous campsite costs.  Enjoy it while you can.

TCD

27 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

For as long as there have been internet message boards, there have been many threads like this one.  We complain about the prices, swear that the latest price increase is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, but then we suck it up and go back.

Sigh. This is the first year we haven't had a WDW trip since 2013, and really the first year since 2008 that we haven't gone or at least considered it.

We did have a couple of days at DL in April, though. There is just so much construction at the World and no commensurate value, honestly. With one going off to college next fall and another two years behind that we are looking at several Disney-free years. Unless, of course, someone signs up for the DCP or we decide to go back for the 50th anniversary in a few years.

Until then we'll just live vicariously through others and social media, I guess.

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

And that's not a bad thing.  S71/Dave, enjoy these times with your family.  Life gets more complicated as your kids get older.  The memories you are creating now are worth way more than the ridiculous campsite costs.  Enjoy it while you can.

TCD

Isn't that true Andrew...our little ones are only 4.5 and 9.5 and I am already so aware of that fact.  And it all goes by so, so very fast.

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Disney always wins.

TCD

x2 !!  Our daughters grew up in the 80s with annual trips to the Fort with Grandpa and Grandma and their Class A along with Mom & Dad.

When Grandpa passed, the RV was no more as well.  Later, infrequent trips to WDW, we stayed at various hotels on property, but on every trip the girls insisted we take a day, rent a golf cart, and explore the Fort.  We would go looping, eat at Trail's End, shop at the Trading Posts, and take in the campfire and movie.  We would even buy the bucket of Chicken at the Trail's End and find an empty camp site, and eat at the picnic table to try and capture some of what we all were missing.  The girls really missed not staying at the Fort and had all sorts of fond memories like when they learned to ride their bikes there.

Fast forward to 2012 when Mom & Dad bought a Class C rig.  The girls first comments were "now we can camp at the Fort like we used to".  Now in their 30s, the girls will join us in the Fort at every opportunity.  It is amazing how the Fort impresses young and old alike, and the memories that are created there.  Walt would be happy.

Our grandkids, 5, 4, and 2, and going to Disney over Thanksgiving.  They are staying in a value resort and want to stay at The Fort with Mom Mom and Pop Pop.  Our daughter said they will pay for the gas and split the site if we can get a campsite.  We have been trying, but with no luck.  My granddaughter, the 5 year old, said she is just going to have to talk to Disney about that.  I asked her isn't it going to be fun just going with her Mom, Dad, brother, and sister.  Here answer was no!!!!

9 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Disney always wins.

TCD

As always Andrew, you are always right. I always thought it was so great that your daughters in their teen years and now beyond have always held Disney as a great family experience.  I am one of the lucky ones who can still afford the price increases but they do get frustrating.  I feel bad for the people who cannot afford this experience anymore. I also know we are spoiled in FL having such a great campground like the fort so close.  Many other campgrounds are raising prices just to stay in business.   As long as the kids still enjoy camping and Disney, I'll keep riding the wave.  I just keep comparing the price to the polyenisan bungalows and then I know I'm still getting a bargin and I get to sleep in my own bed.

I do think the price of the AP's are crazy now especially with all the construction.   They could have made a huge change after the new items were open.  I think the Epcot after 4 passes will work great for us. 

8 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Isn't that true Andrew...our little ones are only 4.5 and 9.5 and I am already so aware of that fact.  And it all goes by so, so very fast.

My little girl is now 7 and we are trying to take as many  trips as we can.

13 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

As always Andrew, you are always right. I always thought it was so great that your daughters in their teen years and now beyond have always held Disney as a great family experience.  I am one of the lucky ones who can still afford the price increases but they do get frustrating.  I feel bad for the people who cannot afford this experience anymore. I also know we are spoiled in FL having such a great campground like the fort so close.  Many other campgrounds are raising prices just to stay in business.   As long as the kids still enjoy camping and Disney, I'll keep riding the wave.  I just keep comparing the price to the polyenisan bungalows and then I know I'm still getting a bargin and I get to sleep in my own bed.

I do think the price of the AP's are crazy now especially with all the construction.   They could have made a huge change after the new items were open.  I think the Epcot after 4 passes will work great for us. 

We never know what the future holds.  When my twins graduated high school and went off to college, I figured our Disney days were over.  Little did I know.

They are seniors in college now, and it seems like we visit WDW more now than we did in their teen years.  It helps a lot that one of them is still a CM, and I don't have to buy her a pass. 

Maybe your kids will try the College Program when they're in college.  I think it's a great thing- even if they have no long term goals of working for Disney.

I'm interested to hear how those Epcot passes work for you.  It's too bad that Innoventions is almost completely shut down- we used to spend a lot of time enjoying the exhibits and activities they had in there.  There are a lot of cool details in the World Showcase, and it will be fun for your family to spend some time checking all of those out.

TCD

We never know what the future holds.  When my twins graduated high school and went off to college, I figured our Disney days were over.  Little did I know.

They are seniors in college now, and it seems like we visit WDW more now than we did in their teen years.  It helps a lot that one of them is still a CM, and I don't have to buy her a pass. 

Maybe your kids will try the College Program when they're in college.  I think it's a great thing- even if they have no long term goals of working for Disney.

I'm interested to hear how those Epcot passes work for you.  It's too bad that Innoventions is almost completely shut down- we used to spend a lot of time enjoying the exhibits and activities they had in there.  There are a lot of cool details in the World Showcase, and it will be fun for your family to spend some time checking all of those out.

TCD

Our girls are in 4th and 5th grade. They are already talking about the college program. They both say that they want to live in Florida and work for Disney. My in laws now live in Orlando, so I won't be too scared to send them down there.

2 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Our girls are in 4th and 5th grade. They are already talking about the college program. They both say that they want to live in Florida and work for Disney. My in laws now live in Orlando, so I won't be too scared to send them down there.

By the time they are in college 1/2 of the state will probably be gone due to sinkhole activity, and the rest will be under attack by giant mutant mosquitos the size of great danes. :P

WDW will be under a dome and it'll cost $5K a day admission.

On 9/26/2016 at 9:00 PM, LONE-STAR said:

My little girl is now 7 and we are trying to take as many  trips as we can.

Us too.  We were blessed and able to take 4 trips on this last AP.  We won't be back until next October and that makes me sad.  Our babies will be 10.5 and almost 6 on our next visit...how is that even possible.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:44 PM, ImDownWithDisney said:

If your girls live in the DCP housing, they will be more supervised and safer than they will be at your basic college.  Disney is very strict about not allowing overnight guests or any alcohol or drugs in the DCP housing.  All of that and more is OK in a college dorm.

TCD

If your girls live in the DCP housing, they will be more supervised and safer than they will be at your basic college.  Disney is very strict about not allowing overnight guests or any alcohol or drugs in the DCP housing.  All of that and more is OK in a college dorm.

TCD

That depends on teh college. It wasnt at Sil's.