I just paid $156 a night for a campsite

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For as long as there have been internet message boards, there have been many threads like this one.  We complain about the prices, swear that the latest price increase is the proverbial straw that bro

Costly.....yes Worth it....yes Tough to rationalize during the other 51 weeks of the year......yes.

WTF?  I seriously tried to talk the family into letting me sell the RV after our thanksgiving trip since fort wilderness is where we camp 95% of the time and I knew the rates would continue to climb e

11 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

That depends on teh college. It wasnt at Sil's.

Yea, we had to sneak alcohol in to our dorms and incense was a plenty in the dorms I stayed in my first two years, why I got out and found an apartment my junior year. 

The prices of the full hook up sites are one of the things that stop us from upgrading to a larger camper.  It is nice to pull our little hybrid onto a tent site.  Sure, I almost exclusively use the comfort station, but those few extra steps let me visit more often and for a longer time.  My guys were 2 and 4 on our first trip - now they are 15 and 17.  Time sure does fly when you are having fun!

13 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

That depends on teh college. It wasnt at Sil's.

I imagine it's been a while since Sil lived in a dorm.  It's a brave new world out there in college these days.

1 hour ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Yea, we had to sneak alcohol in to our dorms and incense was a plenty in the dorms I stayed in my first two years, why I got out and found an apartment my junior year. 

At colleges,the sneaking is still going on, and the consequences of getting caught are minimal.

But they don't play games in the Disney College Program housing.  If you're under 21, you are placed with others not of age. They actually do surprise inspections, and if there is any alcohol or illegal drugs found in an apartment EVERYONE gets told to pack up and go home.  My girls saw it happen.  I think the big difference is that Disney isn't a government entity, and their housing is on private property.  There are no constitutional law issues in their housing facilities.

My point is that there is a lot more supervision and security in the DCP housing than there has been at any of the State Universities my daughters have attended.

TCD

24 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Sil's college is still enforcing for under 21. And if found there are hefty fines and penalties. 

I have found that they all talk a good game.  Then school starts,  the tuition and fees get paid, and parents are out of the equation. You have RA's who are just kids themselves in charge of enforcing the policies.  That never works.

Disney doesn't mess around like that.

TCD

41 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Sil's college is still enforcing for under 21. And if found there are hefty fines and penalties. 

In my experience it varies a great deal as well, and not all colleges can be painted with the same brush.  I'm very familiar with a couple of small, Christian colleges in this neck of the woods.  Zero tolerance.  I'm sure the same is true of other schools around the country....the ones that don't show up on "Top 25 Party School" lists.  

7 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

In my experience it varies a great deal as well, and not all colleges can be painted with the same brush.  I'm very familiar with a couple of small, Christian colleges in this neck of the woods.  Zero tolerance.  I'm sure the same is true of other schools around the country....the ones that don't show up on "Top 25 Party School" lists.  

In general religion affiliated schools tend to be stricter on moral and legal issues than you will see in a public school or many secular private institution. Even secular private institutions tend to be stricter than public institutions. A couple of things make it easier to do this. One is the schools are frequently much smaller than public schools. It is less of a problem to keep control over hundreds as opposed to ten thousand, twenty thousand or more students. Private schools of all flavors can also be much more selective in who they admit giving them a better opportunity to keep out the riff-raff.

In some ways I think too much strictness does a disservice to the students as they lose out on dealing with issues they will have in real life. Both of my girls went to state universities. All of the dorms were of mixed ages and it gave them a chance to learn how to say no to partying and drinking on their own volition. It also gave them exposure to a large cross section of our society which I think has helped them with their jobs and determining who should be in their circle of friends. They would have eventually learned this regardless but I think it was much better learned when they still had time to as opposed to after they were in the work force where mistakes can cause you to lose your job.

I agree Kieth, you get more education in college in dorms dealing with other people than you do in a class room. I had a professor once tell me the education you get in college is to learn where to get the answers you need, what you learn in class will be mostly forgotten or out of date in just a few years.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on our Spring Break trip. It's more expensive than our Christmas rate. Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oof! I think Christmas week is almost as much as our 2 weeks in January. I'm justifying it by averaging it out. ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Oof! I think Christmas week is almost as much as our 2 weeks in January. I'm justifying it by averaging it out. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

At least with Christmas there are the sites decorated and some extra activities. Our spring break does not coincide with Easter, so there's not really anything special going on.

5 hours ago, Andrew Roberts said:

I just booked Christmas 2017 at 163.00 a night <_<

When will this madness end? I know everyone has a opinion here, but it's going to get to the point where you would be better off to book a resort off property to be able to afford a Disney vacation. Like I said earlier, I think, many people save for years for a Disney vacation and spend $500 a night at the contemporary is nothing because it's usually a once or twice in lifetime vacation, but if you are a true camper and do it for camping not just for Disney, it's getting a bit out of control. For Gods sake, at least give us a towel at the pool...lol

5 hours ago, Andrew Roberts said:

I just booked Christmas 2017 at 163.00 a night <_<

thats crazy, I bet one could stay at a resort for less now... this makes me sad, I got my camper to camp at the fort and now it appears i made the wrong decision I should have gotten a boat

18 hours ago, swimmarz said:

thats crazy, I bet one could stay at a resort for less now... this makes me sad, I got my camper to camp at the fort and now it appears i made the wrong decision I should have gotten a boat

It won't end as long as we pay it. :( I don't want to go then I like it on the off season but someone has to be a disney once in her lifetime on christmas so were doing it. 

With the promotion, you are correct. The value resorts are cheaper than a site, unless you can stay in a partial.

As far as towels go, I actually understand why they don't have them at the pool. People would take them back to their RVs and never return them.

I stay on Wyndham Bonnet Creek alot when we do not feel like camping or I can not justify the price. I can normally get a 2 bedroom condo for 100-150 a night on the Tugbbs Timeshare forum. I highly recommend it to other Florida people. Just request the dates (Max 60 days out) and do not jump on the first decent offer, you most likely get an offer for 100 a night along with a few that are like 300 a night, I send those a no thank you :).

14 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I just booked 11/5 - 12/5/17, and my deposit was $108.  Nights without tax were from $96 to $120 (Thanksgiving week).  Ouch.

We'll miss you next year :(    We're coming around the 7th of October (booked right now for 7th - 14th, but the kids and I may come a few days early).  So sad to miss you :(

Our rates were $96 - $116.

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

We'll miss you next year :(    We're coming around the 7th of October (booked right now for 7th - 14th, but the kids and I may come a few days early).  So sad to miss you :(

Our rates were $96 - $116.

Oh no!  We will miss you too!

In 2018 we plan to go 10/5 - 11/5 so we can get two months on one AP.