Will hurricane Matthew impact the Fort or Disney?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good Morning All,  I just checked in with Gwen and David, and they are on I-85 N entering SC from GA.  Looks like the absolutely made the right decision to take the long way home!

Gwen, unless you guys have pressing plans to be back home by a certain time, why don't you head NW of the Fort, hit I-75 and see if you can stop in Destin or some other place away from the east coast

I might sound like a broken record but if you have to go any where in FL/GA/SC please use Waze. During the SC floods, Waze was able to get direct road closure feed from the state and most of the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 4as - Amy said:

I've lived here all my life and been through many hurricanes. When we lost power for a week in 2004 with hurricane Charlie, we came and hung out at Disney...bc they didn't lose power!  They're pretty prepared to handle most stuff. 

We were staying in the Wilderness Lodge during Hurricane Jeanne the same year. My dad was concerned the whole time leading up to our departure, and I kept saying that a hurricane had already passed through Orlando, what were the odds another one would. Pretty darn good actually! We got there the day before the eye went through. We were confined to our rooms for 24 hours, though people started going to the lobby. Luckily we had adjoining rooms with my parents, so that gave us a little more room (my kids were 4 & 2 at the time). 

The parks opened back the next day, and it was the most amazing visit ever - no crowds at all!

3 minutes ago, fotofx....Steve said:

Scheduled to arrive at the Fort late Thursday night from South Florida. Debating if I am better off going up on Friday.

You know how this goes . . .

The storm could move faster or slower and go places that the "experts" have not predicted.

You need to watch the reports and see what it does.  Currently, they are saying it will pass the east coast of Florida between 8 am Thursday and 8 am Friday.  I'd rather be pulling my trailer after it passes than during the storm.  If people are ordered to evacuate, you don't want to be on the roads for that if you can help it.  But, there's no guarantee that it's going to do what they're predicting.

TCD

Even if the storm stays off the coast it is pretty big and the wind predictions show tropical storm force winds across the state of Florida. Also while the strong side is over the ocean the side going over the US could still drop a lot of rain. About all you can do is play it by ear. If it were me I would make it a last minute decision on whether to wait a day or go as planned.

3 minutes ago, Travisma said:

With the mainland still being to the west of the storm, there should be less wind and rain, so I don't think they would.

If it starts tracking further west and goes inland, then there may be a problem.

Well that sounds good

10 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

At current predictions do you think they'll evacuate the Fort?

Based on current predictions, I would guess no.

But these storms are tricky.  And dangerous.

My oldest daughter is working this week in Orlando- going to college fairs and school visits.  There has been talk today of public schools in Orlando closing for Thursday and/or Friday.

This coming weekend is Columbus Day weekend- not a big deal in Florida, but the Fort and the other Disney Resorts tend to fill up for this weekend.  For past evacuations, Disney had capacity to relocate Fort guests to resort rooms. I'm not sure if that's something they can handle this time around.  Which means they might have to act sooner rather than later.

TCD

fotofx steve:  I think your problems will be on the highway going up.  Traffic out of south Florida will be in full swing tomorrow with people fleeing the area.  Broward just got put into the Hurricane watch list so more of us will be leaving.  I need to get back to South Carolina but it looks like they are starting evacuations in South Carolina already so I-95 and I-26 will be jammed.  If you are leaving for the fort tomorrow I hope you closed up your home first.  Shutters, turn off the water, power down things, pick up loose items in the yard.  They are predicting rain measured in inches with some wind gusts in Orlando but things can change.  I just would hate to be sitting in a tent realizing I guessed wrong.

2 hours ago, DinDavie said:

fotofx steve:  I think your problems will be on the highway going up.  Traffic out of south Florida will be in full swing tomorrow with people fleeing the area.  Broward just got put into the Hurricane watch list so more of us will be leaving.  I need to get back to South Carolina but it looks like they are starting evacuations in South Carolina already so I-95 and I-26 will be jammed.  If you are leaving for the fort tomorrow I hope you closed up your home first.  Shutters, turn off the water, power down things, pick up loose items in the yard.  They are predicting rain measured in inches with some wind gusts in Orlando but things can change.  I just would hate to be sitting in a tent realizing I guessed wrong.

We were going to leave here around 11pm Thursday night. Should know a lot by then.

3 hours ago, DinDavie said:

That is not good news!  We're leaving in the morning, and we have to go up 95 to 26.  Our only alternative is to go 95 all the way to Myrtle Beach and cut across non-interstate roads from there.

33 minutes ago, keith_h said:

They've started mandatory evacuations for Wednesday along the Outer Banks. My guess is I-95 is going to be a mess no matter where you are on it. Although longer it might be less stress to take  I-75 to Atlanta then I-85 to the Triad.

I just told David what you said.  75 will add at least 100 miles to our trip.  Will look at the traffic situation in the morning.  Trying to get out of here as early as possible.

wow, this was the week the wife and I were supposed to be at the Fort but we had to have Jason cancel our stay after my wife lost her job.  I think that I might have even joked with Jason about a hurricane showing up the week we were there.  I know I did with my wife when we were making the plans.

19 minutes ago, bhall said:

wow, this was the week the wife and I were supposed to be at the Fort but we had to have Jason cancel our stay after my wife lost her job.  I think that I might have even joked with Jason about a hurricane showing up the week we were there.  I know I did with my wife when we were making the plans.

Yes we did. 

5 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

If that's the case can we joke about one of us winning the lottery? 

Oh, that's easy.  Just buy the next scratch off tickets after me.  Monday night, I stopped in to visit my wife at her part time job and I bought 4 different scratch off tickets from her for $20.  scratched them off there to find losers and said to her jokingly, watch, the next ones are winners.  I go home and she calls me a half hour later.  Some dude bought one of the next tickets, scratched it off and it was a $250 winner.  She calls back a short time later and some woman won $50 off another game that I played.  She calls me at 11 pm to say the next ticket on another game was $20.  I then told her she better not call me if someone wins on the 4th one because I don't want to know.  So, just be behind me in line and replicate my scratch off game purchase, and you will instantly win!