Will hurricane Matthew impact the Fort or Disney?

1 hour ago, bhall said:

Oh, that's easy.  Just buy the next scratch off tickets after me.  Monday night, I stopped in to visit my wife at her part time job and I bought 4 different scratch off tickets from her for $20.  scratched them off there to find losers and said to her jokingly, watch, the next ones are winners.  I go home and she calls me a half hour later.  Some dude bought one of the next tickets, scratched it off and it was a $250 winner.  She calls back a short time later and some woman won $50 off another game that I played.  She calls me at 11 pm to say the next ticket on another game was $20.  I then told her she better not call me if someone wins on the 4th one because I don't want to know.  So, just be behind me in line and replicate my scratch off game purchase, and you will instantly win!

Isnt that always the way. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good Morning All,  I just checked in with Gwen and David, and they are on I-85 N entering SC from GA.  Looks like the absolutely made the right decision to take the long way home!

Gwen, unless you guys have pressing plans to be back home by a certain time, why don't you head NW of the Fort, hit I-75 and see if you can stop in Destin or some other place away from the east coast

I might sound like a broken record but if you have to go any where in FL/GA/SC please use Waze. During the SC floods, Waze was able to get direct road closure feed from the state and most of the

Posted Images

So, we are here right now. Cast members distributed flyers last night to indicate that management is considering evacuating the fort, determination of which should happen this morning sometime. They wanted to make sure that everyone's contact info up to date in that eventuality. They haven't given any firm details about plans beyond that but indicated that guest may be relocated to other resorts on a case by case basis subject to availability. 

I called and spoke to the Fort front desk last night. So far although they have been encouraging anyone currently at the Fort to make other arrangements, they have not been told how to handle anyone checking in on Thursday or Friday. He told me that they would call me in the event the Fort had to close.

56 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

We are frantically packing.  Today was our check-out day anyway, so we've been preparing to leave for a couple of days.

The biggest concern for us right now is what route to take.  Considering any and all input.  Help, please!

Gwen, unless you guys have pressing plans to be back home by a certain time, why don't you head NW of the Fort, hit I-75 and see if you can stop in Destin or some other place away from the east coast and just enjoy yourselves... After this storm heads up north or out to sea (like they are "sort of" predicting now), then you and David can take a leisurely trip home.  As others have said, I-95 is going to be a mad house and once you get to that long stretch of nothing in SC, and if traffic backs up, or someone does something stupid, you are pretty much stuck. As you guys pull out, top off the fuel tank and use that motorhome as it was intended...  You have the advantage that the folks in cars don't... you get to ride in your living room!

UPDATE: Guests at Some Disney Resorts Being Moved Due to Hurricane Matthew

Guests staying at some Disney resorts hotels at the Walt Disney World Resort are being moved for their safety.

Hurricane Matthew having its effect already on the Walt Disney World Resort.

Hurricane Matthew having its effect already on the Walt Disney World Resort.

Disney is offering a change of accommodations for guests at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campgrounds. Disney is offering these guests rooms at many of their other resort hotels on property and not any one specific resort.

The accommodation changes are being made today as Disney hopes to have these guests out of Fort Wilderness by Thursday.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/10/update-guests-disney-resorts-moved-due-hurricane-matthew/

I've also seen reports of Disney leaving letters for campers asking them to contact the front desk to talk about their plans and alternate accommodations.

Gwen, whatever ya'll decide - stay safe!!

2 hours ago, geoffdaddy said:

So, we are here right now. Cast members distributed flyers last night to indicate that management is considering evacuating the fort, determination of which should happen this morning sometime. They wanted to make sure that everyone's contact info up to date in that eventuality. They haven't given any firm details about plans beyond that but indicated that guest may be relocated to other resorts on a case by case basis subject to availability. 

Missed this before I posted.  Good luck and stay safe!!

Disney is reportedly willing to work out arrangements with any guests staying at the resort Wednesday, October 5th through Sunday, October 9th, 2016. It is not guaranteed than fees will be wavered, but many guests are being offered full refunds without penalization upon contacting Disney.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/10/update-disney-waiving-fees-trip-cancellations-due-hurricane-matthew/

2 minutes ago, Beckers said:

This was the message I sent to Gwen about an hour ago "Brian is on 95, 2 miles south of 26 and said there is a 5 mile backup getting into 26. And at 3 pm they are reversing east bound traffic."

so things are getting ugly already. 

Wow. 

It's interesting to see how things are being handled for this storm vs past government responses to storms like Sandy and Katrina. South Carolina seems to be overreacting, but it's better to be safe than sorry. 

TCD 

Wow. 

It's interesting to see how things are being handled for this storm vs past government responses to storms like Sandy and Katrina. South Carolina seems to be overreacting, but it's better to be safe than sorry. 

TCD 

Agreed.

I'm thinking they will cancel the GA/SC game...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

We are  on 75 headed to Atlanta.  Will add 100 miles to our trip,  but we don't  have  to  deal with the craziness on 95.

I would highly urge you to use Waze (gps), the local surrounding area editors are keeping the roads up to date with live closures and route reversals.

According to WDW News Today, the Fort will close at 2 pm tomorrow, and EVERYONE has to go!

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/10/update-evacuation-fort-wilderness-disney-world-ordered-ahead-hurricane/

This is what they posted:

Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground will close at 2:00pm on Thursday as a precautionary measure ahead of Hurricane Matthew. Guests are now being ordered to leave the resort by then, rather than it being simply suggested.

All RVs are being accommodated in the Cruella Lot of the Magic Kingdom parking area.

Campground guests are being moved to alternate accommodations as previously reported. Disney is providing transportation for all guests to their alternate accommodations if need be.

When I had to evacuate the Fort back in 1999 for Hurricane Floyd, we were allowed to take the camper with us to Port Orleans Riverside (which was still called Dixie Landings, I think).  I would not want to leave my camper in the MK parking lot.

TCD

1 hour ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

We are  on 75 headed to Atlanta.  Will add 100 miles to our trip,  but we don't  have  to  deal with the craziness on 95.

Just be careful dealing with the craziness of traffic around Atlanta!

3 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Someone on the FF Facebook page said they just received this f0abb2ba9b14c27afdee54054e952d26.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wow. Just GTFO (Get The Fort Out), no offer to provide alternative accommodations?

Harsh.

When I got the boot, they were really helpful in making sure everyone who wanted to stick around could.  What about guests who live in areas where the storm is going?

TCD

Just now, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow. Just GTFO (Get The Fort Out), no offer to provide alternative accommodations?

Harsh.

When I got the boot, they were really helpful in making sure everyone who wanted to stick around could.  What about guests who live in areas where the storm is going?

TCD

When we left, we were told that The Fort was booked up... my guess is they need to clear everyone out as quickly as possible and this was the best way to do it as it expresses urgency and is adamant.  In such a short time frame, it may be too tough to try and relocate everyone.  Plus, we don't know what kind-of push back they got from their first letter so this, (GTFO) may be in response to that.

10 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

When we left, we were told that The Fort was booked up... my guess is they need to clear everyone out as quickly as possible and this was the best way to do it as it expresses urgency and is adamant.  In such a short time frame, it may be too tough to try and relocate everyone.  Plus, we don't know what kind-of push back they got from their first letter so this, (GTFO) may be in response to that.

Good points.

Back in 1999, the Fort and the whole resort in general was not as packed as it is these days.

At the time, I was surprised that they had enough open rooms to accommodate everyone who wanted to stay.  But, back in those days,  business was so slow that they would have entire areas of resorts shut down, which is how we ended up in the back part of Dixie Landings.

This coming weekend is a holiday weekend for a lot of folks, so it's a different situation than the random September weekend when I was evacuated in 1999.  Also, I have to wonder if they're holding any open rooms they have to accommodate Disney Cruise Line guests whose plans are about to get very messed up.

The thing is- there are bound to be a lot of open rooms because a lot of guests who would be flying in for the weekend aren't going to be able to, or will be smart and not travel into a mess.

It's a smart (but harsh) move on Disney's part to just tell everyone the campground is closed and to get lost.  A lot less work and trouble for them.  But, it's not how it used to be done.

TCD