Will hurricane Matthew impact the Fort or Disney?

We've ridden out a few crazy storms in our camper, but nowhere near 80mph winds. Eek.

3 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

It is good to get the RVs out because a small shift in the storm can make a big difference,m especially to an RV.  Mine is hooked to my truck and tomorrow I will be moving near the house so the house will break the wind. 

Smart thinking.  Good luck Doug -  hopefully everything passes by without much trouble.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good Morning All,  I just checked in with Gwen and David, and they are on I-85 N entering SC from GA.  Looks like the absolutely made the right decision to take the long way home!

Gwen, unless you guys have pressing plans to be back home by a certain time, why don't you head NW of the Fort, hit I-75 and see if you can stop in Destin or some other place away from the east coast

I might sound like a broken record but if you have to go any where in FL/GA/SC please use Waze. During the SC floods, Waze was able to get direct road closure feed from the state and most of the

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I just heard from my daughter who attends UCF.

They have cancelled classes there and suggested that the kids go home if they live somewhere out of harm's way.  There's talk of evacuating the dorms and having the students take shelter in interior classroom buildings.

My daughter is an RA, so she's considered "Essential Personnel," and she is required to stay and help with the emergency plans that are being formulated.  This storm could be really bad.

Disney may be doing RV owners a favor by telling them to hit the road.  Even if they could provide rooms, the storm could be devastating and wreck a lot of RV's.  Folks with campers can get far away with the lead time that they're being given.

TCD 

I think you make a good point. There is a good possibility that a category 4 storm could make landfall not very far away from the Fort. Most of my family and friends live on the Atlantic Coast between Vero Beach and Jacksonville. They are all evacuating and they have never evacuated in the past. Why take a chance if it can be avoided?

I know Jeff and Cheryl were there and they are heading to Lazy Days which only had,tonight open, but we will give the our rese that we had for the weekend if they need it

Lynn and George were also there in the pop up and they,are heading to all sports

We have been offered alternate accommodations at the pop century (where we are eating now). It's been a long day packing up in the rain and getting the camper ready for the storm. They parked us in the Cruella parking lot with other RV's. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and make a final decision on whether to stay or head back.

In another note, the fort really doesn't have an effective communication plan as we were told several different things. While we were in the checkout line we were told that alternate plans were being made for fort guests. The CM right next to us told other guests to "go away". I mentioned what "Larry" was telling the folks in line and he said "We have a Larry?" Fun times today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, GradyBunch said:

We have been offered alternate accommodations at the pop century (where we are eating now). It's been a long day packing up in the rain and getting the camper ready for the storm. They parked us in the Cruella parking lot with other RV's. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and make a final decision on whether to stay or head back.

In another note, the fort really doesn't have an effective communication plan as we were told several different things. While we were in the checkout line we were told that alternate plans were being made for fort guests. The CM right next to us told other guests to "go away". I mentioned what "Larry" was telling the folks in line and he said "We have a Larry?" Fun times today.

Stay safe!!!!!!!!!!

I just ended a phone conversation with a cast member who informed me that as of this moment, there will be no check-ins at the Fort until Monday. 

That it could change, depending on the storm...could be closed longer, or could open sooner. 

We can cancel our plans w/o penalty or they can modify our stay to make it longer -  sadly, after waiting 1.5 hours to talk to him, I couldn't give him an answer as we are traveling with others, and we have to figure out what we are going to do.  I am so bummed :mellow:

2 hours ago, LORNADUCK said:

I know Jeff and Cheryl were there and they are heading to Lazy Days which only had,tonight open, but we will give the our rese that we had for the weekend if they need it

Lynn and George were also there in the pop up and they,are heading to all sports

Glad they were all able to find other options!

1 hour ago, fortpartyof4 said:

Just saw this from an RV group I belong to.  Thought it might be helpful to some Fort evacuees?

Thanks for sharing that!

1 hour ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

They were offering alternate accommodations to campers this morning. As things get more serious, they might want folks to head home if possible. 

I'm seeing reports that they're encouraging campers to head out completely - in part because of the potential for damage even if your camper is parked at MK, and partly because they're anticipating needing rooms to put up DCL guests.

55 minutes ago, GradyBunch said:

Thanks for checking in and glad you were able to get settled at POP.  Good luck tomorrow and stay safe!

UPDATE: Latest Information on Cancelled Events & More at Disney World Due to Hurricane Matthew

The news is rolling in fast, so here is the very latest on how Hurricane Matthew will be affecting Walt Disney World:

• Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach will be closed on both 10/6 and 10/7
  • The Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Hoop De Doo Musical Revue are cancelled on 10/6 and 10/7
  • The 10/7 Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party has not be cancelled yet, but guests can get a full refund or tickets for another night as of right now
  • Characters in Flight at Disney Springs is now closed through 10/9
  • Majority of events at ESPN Wide World of Sports over the weekend were cancelled

Park operating hours have not yet been affected, but should they be, the decision will likely not be made until tomorrow.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/10/update-latest-information-cancelled-events-disney-world-due-hurricane-matthew/

THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM. Living in Florida the last 30 years in the Tampa area, we have been very fortunate to have dodged something of this strength. If you live out of state and are visiting, leave now. Don't stick around to see what 140 mph winds are like.  In 2004 I drove to Punta Gorda after Charlie to help one of our communities I work for and never in my life did I see 4-5 ft wide street lamps on I75 twisted by wind and nothing else. There is going to be significant damage all up the east cost and possibly inland to Orlando.  If they haven't asked you to leave the fort yet, leave now.  Gas will most likely be scarce on the east coast due to power outages.  God speed to everyone in the path of this storm.

Good luck to everyone that has been and will be affected by the storm.

If you're travelling, carry all the water and fuel you can.

We had considered going this week as Monday is a Canadian holiday but decided to wait to see Christmas lights.

Hope everyone finds a safe place to stay before the storm hits.

Good Morning All,  I just checked in with Gwen and David, and they are on I-85 N entering SC from GA.  Looks like the absolutely made the right decision to take the long way home!

35 minutes ago, Duane said:

That puts them close to my house.  Praying they make it home safely.

Just now, PureTcrazy...rita said:

We are already getting some small gray clouds and sprinkles already. Almost done with prep, just have to get outdoor furniture and plants inside.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Praying for you and Ed!

1 hour ago, Duane said:

Thanks for checking in and letting us know.  Glad they're traveling safely.

The storm has affected us, but only in a minor way.  We were planning to leave Saturday for the Fort, arriving Sunday evening.  That is now off the table.  I will wait to call Disney until the storm passes, to determine if we can salvage any part of our trip.  Want to stay off the roads for a few days to allow folks to return home, and for emergency response teams. Those who cannot escape the storm, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Posted by WDWMagic about an hour ago...

Hurricane Matthew latest impact to Walt Disney World

Disney has confirmed that the four main theme parks at Walt Disney World will be operating as normal today, October 6.

The current closures and changes to normal operations are:

• Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party cancelled Thursday October 6
  • Blizzard Beach closed Thursday October 6.
  • Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon closed Thursday October 6 and Friday October 7.
  • Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground closed through Sunday.
  • Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and Mickey's Backyard BBQ cancelled through Sunday.
  • Spirit of Aloha Dinner show at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort cancelled on Thursday October 6 and Friday October 7.
  • Characters in Flight at Disney Springs closed through to Sunday.

Article Posted: Oct 06, 2016 / 8:33am EDT

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/severe-weather-information/news/06oct2016-hurricane-matthew-latest-impact-to-walt-disney-world.htm