Will hurricane Matthew impact the Fort or Disney?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good Morning All,  I just checked in with Gwen and David, and they are on I-85 N entering SC from GA.  Looks like the absolutely made the right decision to take the long way home!

Gwen, unless you guys have pressing plans to be back home by a certain time, why don't you head NW of the Fort, hit I-75 and see if you can stop in Destin or some other place away from the east coast

I might sound like a broken record but if you have to go any where in FL/GA/SC please use Waze. During the SC floods, Waze was able to get direct road closure feed from the state and most of the

Posted Images

I might sound like a broken record but if you have to go any where in FL/GA/SC please use Waze.

During the SC floods, Waze was able to get direct road closure feed from the state and most of the affected counties. Currently it is getting feeds from US DOT, Florida DOT and various counties. The state emergency shelters and pet friendly shelters are in Waze. And the live user traffic feed will get you there the fastest route.

Unfortunately, Waze does not have height, width, and weight restriction options available.

Google maps is getting some of Waze's data feed but there is a delay and some of the road closure info doesn't make it into Gmaps.

From Disney Photo Pass Facebook page

Due to the pending impact of Hurricane Matthew on the Central Florida area, PhotoPass Guest Support operations will be limited for the next 48 hours.  Our Guest Support staff will be available to answer calls and emails until 6:30 pm EST today.  The office will remain closed tomorrow, October 7, 2016 to allow our Cast to remain safely at home with friends and family.  We will provide another update to this page on Saturday, October 8, 2016.  We do apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your support of the Disney PhotoPass Service.

WDWMagic (who gets a lot of their info off The Hub) is confirming all parks closing at 5pm and remaining closed tomorrow. Gas stations on property, Best Friends, Car Care Center and Alamo are all closing early today with all but gas stations noted as remaining closed through Friday.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

WDWMagic (who gets a lot of their info off The Hub) is confirming all parks closing at 5pm and remaining closed tomorrow. Gas stations on property, Best Friends, Car Care Center and Alamo are all closing early today with all but gas stations noted as remaining closed through Friday.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I guess that Fort Wilderness guests with pets are out of luck when the Fort evacuates.

Assuming you could drop your pet off today- your pet is then locked up for the duration.

TCD

10 minutes ago, arthuruscg said:

I-4 W to Tampa is almost a parking lot, averaging 13mph :huh:

One of my daughters made the run from Celebration all the way west to our house last night- no problems.  She said 4 had been bad earlier in the day, which is why she made the midnight run.

My other daughter in the Orlando area is getting ready to hunker down in her UCF dorm.  They will be confined to their rooms tonight.  If anything really bad approaches, everyone will take shelter in the hallway on the first floor.  She's in charge of head counts and all that good stuff.

TCD

They have closed schools here in Manatee county for tomorrow. They will be opening 4 of the shelters this afternoon. They are only predicting tropical storm force wind here but we have a lot of trailer parks in the area. People evacuating the east coast are starting to trickle into the area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

If only someone could have shared from an official source an hour ago about Walt Disney World closing. 

I saw that when you posted it- I was just mentioning that the Blog has now posted it too.

You get bragging rights for posting the first official announcement.

Hope things aren't too crazy for you and your clients!

TCD

2 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I saw that when you posted it- I was just mentioning that the Blog has now posted it too.

You get bragging rights for posting the first official announcement.

Hope things aren't too crazy for you and your clients!

TCD

I was luck to not have anyone there or cruising to be affected. Looks like one clients check in may be affected. 

Since ce that's the case for me I am acting as an information gatherer and support person for our other agents who are affected. Keeping them as well as FF and my own forum updated as I see things and fielding non critical questions while other agents are handling emergency changes. 

Oh and still working at my day job. 

Is it beer-thirty yet?

I have almost 200 Post Offices in the wind swath area where winds will be 39 to well above 75 mph.  Plus a lot of those office are near the Eastern coastline.  I'm not looking forward to Saturday and next week.  I'm sure we will have a lot of damaged networks, phone system and computers to deal with along with flooded offices..  No going to be fun. 

7 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I have almost 200 Post Offices in the wind swath area where winds will be 39 to well above 75 mph.  Plus a lot of those office are near the Eastern coastline.  I'm not looking forward to Saturday and next week.  I'm sure we will have a lot of damaged networks, phone system and computers to deal with along with flooded offices..  No going to be fun. 

Ooof that doesnt sound like fun at all. 

My parents own a home (prefab) in Winter Haven and they received a notification from the park recommending they evacuate today.

Luckily my parents are still safe in Canada and we're not planning to head south for the winter for two more weeks.

Winter Haven is along way from the coast, it must be bad if they're recommending evacuation that far inland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that is interesting.  My parents own a home, double wide in a 55+ community in Winter Haven.  They didn't say anything about evacuating yesterday.  Wonder if they got something today and just didn't feel like telling us kids.

22 minutes ago, AldeanFan said:

My parents own a home (prefab) in Winter Haven and they received a notification from the park recommending they evacuate today.

Luckily my parents are still safe in Canada and we're not planning to head south for the winter for two more weeks.

Winter Haven is along way from the coast, it must be bad if they're recommending evacuation that far inland.

They always err on the side of caution.  I've been told to evacuate for storms a lot less than this one and nothing happened.  That does tend to cause apathy which later can be deadly.  I've been dodging storms on the Gulf Coast for years, and I've seen this apathy result in disaster.

Having said that, the storm does show some signs of a possible shift seaward from the coast which would favor the Orlando area, but those that count on that risk their lives for no good reason. 

31 minutes ago, AldeanFan said:

8 minutes ago, alexwyattmommy said:

Oh that is interesting.  My parents own a home, double wide in a 55+ community in Winter Haven.  They didn't say anything about evacuating yesterday.  Wonder if they got something today and just didn't feel like telling us kids.

It's Standard Operating Procedure in Florida for residents who live in manufactured homes and designated low-lying areas to evacuate once their is a confirmed threat of tropical storm activity approaching.  My county has a very detailed map which is color coded to let everyone when they are supposed to go.

Just now, southernview -- Ray said:

They always err on the side of caution.  I've been told to evacuate for storms a lot less than this one and nothing happened.  That does tend to cause apathy which later can be deadly.  I've been dodging storms on the Gulf Coast for years, and I've seen this apathy result in disaster.

Having said that, the storm does show some signs of a possible shift seaward from the coast which would favor the Orlando area, but those that count on that risk their lives for no good reason. 

Yup.

The news crews will be in after the storm to film folks letting their kids ride their bikes through polluted storm water with fallen power lines added for excitement.

TCD

2 minutes ago, DinDavie said:

Winter Haven is closer to the west coast and not in the extended pass of the hurricane.  They should be safe.

If the government tells them to go to a shelter, they should.

Too many people risk their own lives and the lives of first responders because they ignore procedures that are in place to protect them.

TCD

2 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

They have closed schools here in Manatee county for tomorrow. They will be opening 4 of the shelters this afternoon. They are only predicting tropical storm force wind here but we have a lot of trailer parks in the area. People evacuating the east coast are starting to trickle into the area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They closed Hillsborough County Schools tomorrow per state request so they could use the schools as shelters for those evacuating from other areas.  

6 hours ago, Travisma said:

The cabins are nothing more than glorified campers/park model mobile homes.  They are not a permanent structure like a house, they are held to the ground with straps.

That, plus the fact that evacuating everyone from the Fort allows them to keep their staff safe and not have to do housekeeping, open stores, and do everyday chores in a potentially dangerous situation.

Those tall pine trees aren't the strongest things.  They will snap and uproot in a heartbeat if they get hit with the predicted 90 to 100 mph gusts.

We stay in a FW cabin every year and I can't say that I've paid much attention to the actual structure. Good to know! 

5 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I guess that Fort Wilderness guests with pets are out of luck when the Fort evacuates.

Assuming you could drop your pet off today- your pet is then locked up for the duration.

TCD

If "closed" means not staffed, I'd imagine they'd have cleared out any pets they had there.

I've not heard any reports from Fort guests with pets that didn't leave, but I seriously doubt they're letting people bring them into hotel rooms at other resorts.  Which means your only option would be to leave.  Honestly, given the potential for damage to an RV no matter where it's parked, that's likely what we'd have done anyway.

5 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

They will be confined to their rooms tonight.  If anything really bad approaches, everyone will take shelter in the hallway on the first floor. 

Hopefully they'll weather the storm without any trouble!

I was at RISD when Gloria hit the Northeast.  We had 2 options - go home if you could, or pull our mattresses out into the hallway and camp out.