Will hurricane Matthew impact the Fort or Disney?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good Morning All,  I just checked in with Gwen and David, and they are on I-85 N entering SC from GA.  Looks like the absolutely made the right decision to take the long way home!

Gwen, unless you guys have pressing plans to be back home by a certain time, why don't you head NW of the Fort, hit I-75 and see if you can stop in Destin or some other place away from the east coast

I might sound like a broken record but if you have to go any where in FL/GA/SC please use Waze. During the SC floods, Waze was able to get direct road closure feed from the state and most of the

Posted Images

Interactive national SLOSH maps online showing potential storm surge impact along the coast - http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/StorytellingTextLegend/index.html?appid=b1a20ab5eec149058bafc059635a82ee

Please note the maps are to show impact at all possible coastal areas, not just those affected by Hurricane Matthew.
1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I do know that there are pets at Best Friends. I think they are just closed for visits and drop off pickup type situations. 

Good to hear that folks with pets there don't have to worry about them.

13 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

We are at the Wyndham and so are our pets!  During Charlie, Frances and Jeanne, I saw a lot of pets being brought in to the hotels.   Even a big McCaw.

Glad you're all safe, Gretchen!!

We are currently at the Polynesian. They had crafts, games and characters in the lobby until 9:00. They set up a big buffet at 'Ohana and we were told it would be offered at a "significant discount" although no one could actually tell us what it would be. We ended up eating at Kona where our waiter told us he had absolutely no idea what the plan was, where he would be spending the night.

We ate at the Fort last night and on the bus ride out they were picking up people who were being evacuated from the cabins. These were mostly families with small children who had luggage and strollers in tow. Apparently they had to bus it to the different hotels they were being sent to. I thought that was a bit rough, these poor people were loaded down plus it was already dark out. Couldn't they have provided a van for them or something? They were all miserable.

We'll see what tomorrow brings. We've been told to stay in our rooms until further notice. Oh, and around 2:00 we had a message they had boxed lunches for us down at Captain Cooks for $12.99. We went down to check it out and none of the employees knew what we were talking about. We ended up buying a few things from their refrigerated cooler but we did see people later with their boxed lunches.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that they're taking care of you at the resort. That is a bummer about the Fort cabin guests.  That had to be super stressful for people.

Inside the Magic just posted this photo of the POP food court to Facebook...

Hopefully you have an uneventful night and don't wake up to too much of a mess in the morning!

Well we are at Port Orleans. First they told us to go west I said not a option.  So they let us pick between 3 resorts. 2.5  hour wait for food tonight at the resort but we had food plus we ate at epcot. New Frozen ride said 105 minutes it took 35.  Arcade was free tonight plus characters in the lobby so we had fun.

8 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Well we are at Port Orleans. First they told us to go west I said not a option.  So they let us pick between 3 resorts. 2.5  hour wait for food tonight at the resort but we had food plus we ate at epcot. New Frozen ride said 105 minutes it took 35.  Arcade was free tonight plus characters in the lobby so we had fun.

Food situation sounds like it was less than ideal all over, but glad they took care of you and that you're safe.

Had a message on our phone early this morning to stay in room. But we just went up to the Great Ceremonial House and Captain Cooks was open. Characters were just starting to appear in lobby and they had activities lined up for the kids. We also scored some candy that would have been used at the Halloween party last night. It's windy, not very rainy at the moment, but not horrible.

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Update from Disney...

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/hurricane-matthew-info/

Highlights -

Fort is currently only closed through today, and they confirmed that Best Friends is staffed even though they are closed.

I tried to get a clients check in switched back to Subday but currently not being allowed to check in till Monday right now. 

42 minutes ago, dvccamper said:

Had a message on our phone early this morning to stay in room. But we just went up to the Great Ceremonial House and Captain Cooks was open. Characters were just starting to appear in lobby and they had activities lined up for the kids. We also scored some candy that would have been used at the Halloween party last night. It's windy, not very rainy at the moment, but not horrible.

So they tell people to stay in their rooms and the ones who don't get characters and candy. Nice lesson.

So they tell people to stay in their rooms and the ones who don't get characters and candy. Nice lesson.

And they don't know there is food available at the food court so they're in their room eating 12 dollar box meals!

And you are exactly right about the lesson provided. Dang.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I tried to get a clients check in switched back to Subday but currently not being allowed to check in till Monday right now. 

We've are scheduled to check in Sunday - friends of ours who were scheduled to get there Sat got the email to call and rescheduled - so far we've not been informed of anything and are prepping to leave in the morning (stopping in Valdosta, GA tomorrow and coming down 75).  

If we don't hear anything today, we may call tonight just to make sure, but hoping they are just being cautious till it's over later today....

25 minutes ago, Humphrey Bear…Rob said:

We've are scheduled to check in Sunday - friends of ours who were scheduled to get there Sat got the email to call and rescheduled - so far we've not been informed of anything and are prepping to leave in the morning (stopping in Valdosta, GA tomorrow and coming down 75).  

If we don't hear anything today, we may call tonight just to make sure, but hoping they are just being cautious till it's over later today....

We are scheduled to check-in at the Fort on Saturday.  We did not get an email about rescheduling. 

We were supposed to arrive on Saturday.  I saw it posted somewhere where the fort would be closed thru Sunday - I called to see what my options were, and I was told they could move us to a Monday check in as the Fort would not be allowing check-ins until Monday.  I wasn't given any other option, so we are checking in on Monday.  Having to redo fast passes really stinks - all the good ones are gone.

And after 6 hours on hold and getting it all rescheduled , I received an email saying the Fort would only be closed through Friday (10/7)...so I have no idea when they will be open.  I think that emails and the CMs information should all match.

6 minutes ago, Mrs.TN22 said:

And after 6 hours on hold and getting it all rescheduled , I received an email saying the Fort would only be closed through Friday...so I have no idea when they will be open.  I think that emails and the CMs information should all match.

This Friday (like today?!) or next Friday.  It's possible that things are changing moment by moment so they probably felt that Monday was a safe date.  If the winds do damage, they'll need time to clean up.   I can't imagine it being any later than Monday (and I'm guessing Saturday or Sunday)...unless the property is a huge mess.

1 minute ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

This Friday (like today?!) or next Friday.  It's possible that things are changing moment by moment so they probably felt that Monday was a safe date.  If the winds do damage, they'll need time to clean up.   I can't imagine it being any later than Monday (and I'm guessing Saturday or Sunday)...unless the property is a huge mess.

this Friday, as in today, sorry for the confusion.