Will hurricane Matthew impact the Fort or Disney?

A bit more detail on the closures...

• Guest at the Fort Wilderness Campground are under a mandatory evacuation and must be checked out by 11:00AM today. Guests who request alternate accomodations at Walt Disney World are being relocated to other resorts, but specific requests are not guaranteed. 
  • Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party on Thursday has been cancelled, and guests who had purchased tickets can get a refund or a ticket for another date. The Magic Kingdom is currently scheduled to still close at 7:00PM, when the party would have originally begun. Friday's event is still on the schedule, but Disney may elect to cancel it if conditions are still dangerous. 
  • Blizzard Beach water park is closed Thursday and Friday
  • Typhoon Lagoon water park is closed Friday
  • The Characters in Flight balloon at Disney Springs is closed now through Sunday, October 8th. 
  • The Spirit of Aloha at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort and the and Hoop De Doo Musical Revue at Fort Wilderness have been cancelled for both Thursday and Friday evening. Guests are being refunded and will have a chance to re-book. 
  • Select weekend events at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex have been canceled, including the 2016 Disney Cross Country Classic and Baseball Canada’s Friday and Saturday games and practices

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20161006/32225/hurricane-matthew-hitting-orlando-s-theme-parks-today-here-s-what-you-need-know

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good Morning All,  I just checked in with Gwen and David, and they are on I-85 N entering SC from GA.  Looks like the absolutely made the right decision to take the long way home!

Gwen, unless you guys have pressing plans to be back home by a certain time, why don't you head NW of the Fort, hit I-75 and see if you can stop in Destin or some other place away from the east coast

I might sound like a broken record but if you have to go any where in FL/GA/SC please use Waze. During the SC floods, Waze was able to get direct road closure feed from the state and most of the

Posted Images

This is what it looked like at my house in kissimmee just a bit ago.

Southeast

5180320d36045f9d8b73033aab630138.jpg

Southwest

4f034adb4569cd71ce06e8ce40b81bfc.jpg

We are already getting some off and on rain and little breeze. We have had so much rain in the past few weeks that our yard is already soggy. Thankfully, no big trees close to the house.

I'll keep y'all posted as it progresses.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, MontrealFortLover said:

I'm sorry if this was discussed, maybe I missed it, but have they evacuated the cabins as well? If so why? I can see falling trees being a concern, but other than that the actual cabin structures should be secure right?

The cabins are nothing more than glorified campers/park model mobile homes.  They are not a permanent structure like a house, they are held to the ground with straps.

That, plus the fact that evacuating everyone from the Fort allows them to keep their staff safe and not have to do housekeeping, open stores, and do everyday chores in a potentially dangerous situation.

Those tall pine trees aren't the strongest things.  They will snap and uproot in a heartbeat if they get hit with the predicted 90 to 100 mph gusts.

21 minutes ago, MontrealFortLover said:

I'm sorry if this was discussed, maybe I missed it, but have they evacuated the cabins as well? If so why? I can see falling trees being a concern, but other than that the actual cabin structures should be secure right?

The cabins are nothing more than mobile homes not the type of dwelling I want to be in during a hurricane. You also have many large trees in the area that could come down so it is best not to be anywhere inside the Fort until the storm is over.

14 minutes ago, MontrealFortLover said:

They are just campers with a log finish on the outside. Not really safe from high winds either. 

The reaction to this storm is unprecedented.

It's been over 10 years since Central Florida has been in the path of a hurricane.

Back in 2004 and 2005, when the hurricanes were coming through on a regular basis, there were no advanced closures of the magnitude we are seeing for this storm.

I have a hard time believing that the interior part of Central Florida is going to get walloped the way everyone is acting.  I hope I'm right about that.

TCD

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The reaction to this storm is unprecedented.

It's been over 10 years since Central Florida has been in the path of a hurricane.

Back in 2004 and 2005, when the hurricanes were coming through on a regular basis, there were no advanced closures of the magnitude we are seeing for this storm.

I have a hard time believing that the interior part of Central Florida is going to get walloped the way everyone is acting.  I hope I'm right about that.

TCD

We all hope your right as well!

Posted on disneyworld.com

Based on the most recent forecasts for Hurricane Matthew, Walt Disney World theme parks, water parks, Disney Springs, miniature golf courses and ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex will all be closed today by 5 p.m. and will remain closed through Friday, Oct. 7.
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom Theme Park is also canceled for tonight and tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I just heard that the public schools on my side of the state- Pinellas County, are going to be closed tomorrow.

Crazy.

TCD

Just closed Hillsborough as well!

2 minutes ago, cnpsnana said:

what are your thoughts for next week? we are flying down tuesday (hopefully)

They're predicting the storm to curve around and come back into central Florida as a tropical storm, but that's too far out to tell as of now.

I haven't seen this officially but others travel agents are reporting guest being given box lunches for tomorrow and asked to stay in their rooms

also in an effort to free up the lines and agents to deal with this situation they are asking agents to only call regarding travel happening in the next 72 hours.