Yes.  This is supposed to be my race weekend.

But, plans have changed.  I developed chronic knee pain during my training, and had to cut back on the running.  I was prepared to still go forward, but would need to walk and run the 13.1 miles. More walking than running.  And even that wouldn't be good for my bum knee. 

After discussing the situation with Twin #2, we decided that it wouldn't be all that fun to do a half marathon where we couldn't actually run the whole thing.  Run Disney used to allow races to be deferred for a small fee.  They stopped that recently, so it looked like we were going to have to eat the $400+ I laid out for our registrations.  But, there's a black market for race bibs, and we were able to find a buyer whom we would be meeting this weekend to sell our bibs.  That was all well and good until this past weekend when he bailed on us!

So, as of now, I am looking for a buyer for our bibs.  Or, we may be "running" the race after all.  If anyone wants to buy one or both of the bibs, hit me up.

TCD

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I developed chronic knee pain during my training, and had to cut back on the running. 

IT Band?  I develop repeated IT band issues in my right leg, but mine only seem to crop up when running trails on hilly terrain....which pretty much describes every trail in Middle Tennessee.  I need to roll my legs a LOT if I'm training for a race.  I don't imagine hills are a big problem where you train.  I'd be interested to know whether you are suffering from ITB issues running on flatter terrain.  

2 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

IT Band?  I develop repeated IT band issues in my right leg, but mine only seem to crop up when running trails on hilly terrain....which pretty much describes every trail in Middle Tennessee.  I need to roll my legs a LOT if I'm training for a race.  I don't imagine hills are a big problem where you train.  I'd be interested to know whether you are suffering from ITB issues running on flatter terrain.  

No.  My pain is from an old injury, and it is compounded by the fact that I'm carrying way too much weight on my old joints.  The one knee is the major problem, but I have pain in the other one and my ankles too.  I tried to do too much too fast.  What I need to do it give the running a rest, work on my diet, and try again.  We could easily complete the half within the minimum pacing requirements, but it would be painful for me, and really not a good idea for my knee.

TCD

11 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Yes.  This is supposed to be my race weekend.

But, plans have changed.  I developed chronic knee pain during my training, and had to cut back on the running.  I was prepared to still go forward, but would need to walk and run the 13.1 miles. More walking than running.  And even that wouldn't be good for my bum knee. 

After discussing the situation with Twin #2, we decided that it wouldn't be all that fun to do a half marathon where we couldn't actually run the whole thing.  Run Disney used to allow races to be deferred for a small fee.  They stopped that recently, so it looked like we were going to have to eat the $400+ I laid out for our registrations.  But, there's a black market for race bibs, and we were able to find a buyer whom we would be meeting this weekend to sell our bibs.  That was all well and good until this past weekend when he bailed on us!

So, as of now, I am looking for a buyer for our bibs.  Or, we may be "running" the race after all.  If anyone wants to buy one or both of the bibs, hit me up.

TCD

Wish I had known earlier, I could have checked with my nephews, but since they are coming in from Texas and the FL panhandle, I'm sure they registered a long time ago.

And the small crowd we hang out with isn't into running, unless a guy in a hockey mask with a machete is chasing us.

9 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Wish I had known earlier, I could have checked with my nephews, but since they are coming in from Texas and the FL panhandle, I'm sure they registered a long time ago.

And the small crowd we hang out with isn't into running, unless a guy in a hockey mask with a machete is chasing us.

Yeah, the races sold out months ago.

There were a lot of interested buyers about a month ago, when there was still time to plan a trip to WDW.  We had multiple offers for our bibs.  The guy who was going to buy mine was very solid, and wanted both bibs for himself and his wife, so it was a great deal for me.  Because of the logistics, my daughter and I have to personally pick up the bibs and deliver them to any buyer.  My deal with my buyer is that he would hand my cash when we delivered the bibs, so there is no loss to him for cancelling on me at the last minute.  But, at least he gave me a week's notice. 

Now, it seems like there are more sellers than buyers- people get sick, can't make it, etc.

It's pretty crummy on Disney's part that they don't have a system where they can make deferrals or give refunds.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

There were a lot of interested buyers about a month ago, when there was still time to plan a trip to WDW.  We had multiple offers for our bibs.  The guy who was going to buy mine was very solid, and wanted both bibs for himself and his wife, so it was a great deal for me.  Because of the logistics, my daughter and I have to personally pick up the bibs and deliver them to any buyer.  My deal with my buyer is that he would hand my cash when we delivered the bibs, so there is no loss to him for cancelling on me at the last minute.  But, at least he gave me a week's notice. 

Now, it seems like there are more sellers than buyers- people get sick, can't make it, etc.

It's pretty crummy on Disney's part that they don't have a system where they can make deferrals or give refunds.

TCD

Maybe they should do it like school, bring a note from your Dr.!

1 minute ago, Travisma said:

Maybe they should do it like school, bring a note from your Dr.!

Even that's not good enough.  Like everything else, if there's not a buck to be made, they're not interested.  It's easier and more profitable for them to sell all of the registrations and then be done with it.  I've heard that since implementing the no transfer policy, they've intentionally oversold the races and they count on the folks who won't be able to run to have a more manageable number of runners on race day. Good for them, bad for guests. Nothing new there.

TCD

49 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Even that's not good enough.  Like everything else, if there's not a buck to be made, they're not interested.  It's easier and more profitable for them to sell all of the registrations and then be done with it.  I've heard that since implementing the no transfer policy, they've intentionally oversold the races and they count on the folks who won't be able to run to have a more manageable number of runners on race day. Good for them, bad for guests. Nothing new there.

TCD

That's why the shareholders love them!

10 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

No.  My pain is from an old injury, and it is compounded by the fact that I'm carrying way too much weight on my old joints.  The one knee is the major problem, but I have pain in the other one and my ankles too.  I tried to do too much too fast.  What I need to do it give the running a rest, work on my diet, and try again.  We could easily complete the half within the minimum pacing requirements, but it would be painful for me, and really not a good idea for my knee.

TCD

That stinks.  

12 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Just found out that the nephew with the 2 boys is not coming.  My nephew hurt himself and can't run, and the one boys soccer team made some playoffs.  Not sure if the other one is coming either.

UPDATE: Second nephew from Texas is not coming either.  He's rather eat the entry fee than spend $700+ additional on gas, hotel, and park tickets, since his brother is the one that talked him into it.

But he's doing both Disneyland and Disneyworld Star Wars races in 2017

Sorry to hear that TCD that SMB.  I hope you can get your knee issues straightened out. 

If you do try and get back into running again I really suggest the "Jeff Galloway run walk run" method. So I may have read more than actually tried it (I've only done 2 5ks lol) but a lot of good runners who have switched from straight running to run walk run have reduced their times. Granted they are like running 2 mins then walking 30 and I'm like running 30 seconds haha. 

I hope you can find someone to sell the bibs to.

One thing that may be hurting reselling anything is the lousy route this year.  In the past, the Wine and Dine route went through Animal Kingdom, Studios and a significant portion of Epcot.  This year, they take you through Animal Kingdom, out the back, down Bear Island Road past the sewer treatment, recycling and compost areas, then out by the Car Care center and up World Drive.  The route then enters Epcot for a very small amount and then ends in the Epcot parking lot.  A lot of people aren't happy with the route, which I assume was changed due to construction in Studios.  My daughter and her friend are running it this weekend, but they aren't thrilled with the route.  We're doing the 10K in January, but I'm not sure about that route.

1 minute ago, djsamuel said:

One thing that may be hurting reselling anything is the lousy route this year.  In the past, the Wine and Dine route went through Animal Kingdom, Studios and a significant portion of Epcot.  This year, they take you through Animal Kingdom, out the back, down Bear Island Road past the sewer treatment, recycling and compost areas, then out by the Car Care center and up World Drive.  The route then enters Epcot for a very small amount and then ends in the Epcot parking lot.  A lot of people aren't happy with the route, which I assume was changed due to construction in Studios.  My daughter and her friend are running it this weekend, but they aren't thrilled with the route.  We're doing the 10K in January, but I'm not sure about that route.

You're right about the route.

Plus, this year, they switched it from a night race to another morning race, like all the others.  I reckon that's to make everyone forget how they used to get to run through the Osborne Lights at night!

The Epcot part is short- they don't even include the World Showcase.

I hope that they will compensate by having some cool meet and greets out on the course.  And, the race entry does include an after-hours party at Epcot on Sunday night, which is unique to this race.

I still don't have a buyer for our bibs.  If your daughter and her friend know anyone who wants to jump in with them at the last minute, I'll make them a heck of a deal!

TCD

26 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You're right about the route.

Plus, this year, they switched it from a night race to another morning race, like all the others.  I reckon that's to make everyone forget how they used to get to run through the Osborne Lights at night!

The Epcot part is short- they don't even include the World Showcase.

I hope that they will compensate by having some cool meet and greets out on the course.  And, the race entry does include an after-hours party at Epcot on Sunday night, which is unique to this race.

I still don't have a buyer for our bibs.  If your daughter and her friend know anyone who wants to jump in with them at the last minute, I'll make them a heck of a deal!

TCD

Two of the reasons my nephew stated why he's not going to spend the time and extra $$ to drive in from Texas.

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

So, did he just give up his race registration? 

TCD

No, like you stated he cant get his $$ back, plus he hadn't gotten his bib # as of Sunday something about his date of birth so he was trying to call them.  That was when he still planned on coming, but with his brother pulling up lame he's pretty sure he's skipping it.

15 minutes ago, Travisma said:

No, like you stated he cant get his $$ back, plus he hadn't gotten his bib # as of Sunday something about his date of birth so he was trying to call them.  That was when he still planned on coming, but with his brother pulling up lame he's pretty sure he's skipping it.

Well, that stinks!  I don't think there's any chance of selling a bib unless the original registrant picks up the bib in person.  Not worth it for someone from Texas.

Disney always wins.

TCD

Do you have any details on what was spelled wrong?  I don't know why, but I love this kind of thing.

TCD

The word "inaugural". It was correct on the shirts that came with your registration but not on the ones you could purchase and a bunch of other merchandise (or so it is said on FB). If I come across a pic I'll be sure to post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really funny. That word has too many a's and u's to keep up with anyway.   My son went to an invitational cross country meet where the word invitational was spelled wrong on the t-shirts. After someone pointed it out they marked them down from $15 to $5 but only after they'd sold a bunch at $15. My son and several of his teammates bought them for $5 because it had the name of the rival high school that was hosting it along with the misspelling.