If you go to WDW, you have to see the Gingerbread House at the GF

Thanks to chipandco.com for the article.  If you are lucky enough to get to go to WDW during the holiday season, don't forget to go over to the Grand Floridian and go to the main lobby downstairs.  There is a beautiful gingerbread house there.  If you have never seen it, you can actually buy small gingerbread houses to take home from inside the large house.  It smells so good and I can't wait to go back and see this year's in a couple of weeks.

http://www.chipandco.com/beauty-2016-grand-floridian-holiday-gingerbread-house-253251/

20161112_123124-600x450.jpg

photo credit: chipandco.com

On 11/14/2016 at 7:59 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

The structure itself is the same each year, but the theme is not always the same.

The Contemporary and Polynesian Resorts also put up Gingerbread House displays, which makes for a fun monorail adventure. 

TCD

The one's at the Poly and Contemporary are VERY unique every year and a must see :)

Right on cue, the Disney Parks Blog just posted an article about all of the gingerbread creations at WDW:

Fantastical Gingerbread Works of Art Across Walt Disney World Resort

Pam Brandon

by Pam Brandon, Food Writer, Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort

You can smell the gingerbread as pastry chefs all across Walt Disney World Resort crank up the ovens to bake thousands of pieces of gingerbread to craft spectacular holiday creations. From a Gingerbread Holiday Castle at Disney’s Contemporary Resort to the life-size gingerbread house in the lobby of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, here’s what you’ll find beginning Nov. 23:

• Already on display is the Gingerbread Holiday Castle at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, nestled in the Grand Canyon Concourse on the fourth floor, inspired by Disney’s blockbuster “Frozen” and a touch of Disney artist Mary Blair’s it’s a small world. Adorned with sugar snowflakes, gingerbread shingles and chocolate-coated trees, guests can spot Anna, Elsa, Olaf and more. (Look for the 16 Hidden Olafs.)

• Starting Nov. 16, the biggest creation is the life-size gingerbread house in the lobby of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, made with a classic gingerbread recipe from Austria. And every day except Sunday there are gingerbread house decorating demonstrations in the lobby (and a gingerbread house collectible pin featuring “Alice in Wonderland“). This gargantuan creations is 16 feet high and uses 1,050 pounds of honey, 800 pounds of flour – and it takes more than 400 hours just to bake the gingerbread!
  •  
  • The American Adventure pavilion at Epcot is an intricate re-creation of the United States Capitol Building debuting Nov. 25 – and, new this year, the Lincoln Memorial joins the vignette. Look for five Hidden Mickeys in the 50 pounds of gingerbread and 20 pounds of icing.
  •  
  • New at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort is the “Gingerbread Academy” that lets guests build gingerbread houses to take home, along with complimentary hot chocolate and apple cider for sipping. Cost is $125 for up to four guests. If you prefer to decorate a gingerbread cookie, cost is $8.95 per ornament, with proceeds to benefit Give Kids the World. And a chance to work with one of the pastry chefs to create holiday cupcakes is $10.95 per person. Make sure to walk through the lobby to take in the beauty – and delicious scent of gingerbread houses decorated by the pastry chefs of Disney’s BoardWalk Resort.
  •  
  • A 3-foot-long African-inspired Marketplace graces the lobby starting Nov. 23 at Tusker House Restaurant in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park, a creation made with 23 pounds of flour, 8 pounds of honey, 25 pounds of dark chocolate and 5 pounds of white chocolate, just for starters.

• The Holiday Carousel is back at Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Resorts in the “Beach-side” lobby. Again this year, the team of chefs has crafted a life-size spinning carousel with 36 pounds of honey, 96 pounds of flour, 100 pounds of icing and more. Look for 17 Hidden Mickeys. The limited-edition collectible pin features Minnie Mouse and the carousel, and there’s also a Disney’s Beach Club Resort holiday pin featuring Donald Duck. Over on the Yacht side, check out the Holiday Village with Miniature Train surrounded by rock candy mountains.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/11/fantastical-gingerbread-works-of-art-across-walt-disney-world-resort/

TCD

16 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

All three seem to be the same, or very similar to the ones that were installed last year. I can dig out my photos later.

I bet they are all the same.  I'm OK with that.  No need to reinvent the wheel every year.  The base structures can be used year after year, and they can occasionally change the theme.  One of these days, people will get tired of Frozen, and they'll come up with a new theme at the Contemporary.  Maybe the Polynesian can have a Moana gingerbread house?

TCD

If nothing else they sure no how to get the last cent out of your pockets

From TCD's post

New at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort is the “Gingerbread Academy” that lets guests build gingerbread houses to take home, along with complimentary hot chocolate and apple cider for sipping. Cost is $125 for up to four guests. If you prefer to decorate a gingerbread cookie, cost is $8.95 per ornament, with proceeds to benefit Give Kids the World. And a chance to work with one of the pastry chefs to create holiday cupcakes is $10.95 per person. Make sure to walk through the lobby to take in the beauty – and delicious scent of gingerbread houses decorated by the pastry chefs of Disney’s BoardWalk Resort.

We went to the Boardwalk last year and their house was pretty pitiful compared to the others.

22 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

Just coming back to post some pics from last year.

Great photos!  Thanks for posting them.

I can see from your photos that there were some changes made between 2014 and 2015 at the Contemporary Resort.  They added "snowglies" in 2015, and moved Olaf over to a spot where he was posed next to the sandcastle model of Cinderella Castle. 

The photo in the Disney Parks Blog post shows Olaf next to Elsa, and no snowglies.  I wonder if they just used an old photo?

TCD

16 minutes ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I've never seen gingerbread at the Poly.

I don't think they've ever had a big one, because they didn't have space in the lobby for one.

In the past, they had CM's design their own, and had them on display on the second floor near the doors to the monorail platform.

Like this:

With the new lobby, they could have a big one now like the other deluxe resorts.

TCD

Also, for what it's worth, before the Frozen display at the Contemporary, they had a Gingerbread Tree.  Here's a couple of photos I have of it from 2012:

Thanksgiving2012287.jpg

Thanksgiving2012285.jpg

And here's a photo from the 2011 display, it was at tree that year too:

IMG_2721.jpg

I remember DIT and I having a discussion on an old thread about the fact that the backdrop in those last two photos is the same one they're using now, but they have painted it white.

TCD