Nacole,

If you are still looking this is a killer deal on the champion 2000w. $400 with free shipping is really good for these. 2 of them and the parallel cable will get you going in you TT. Not sure how long they will be on sale for.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Champion-Watt-Inverter-Generator/1149997.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FCQ_page%3D20%26CQ_search%3Dgenerator%26CQ_st%3Db%26categoryId%3D734095080

On 11/25/2016 at 8:36 PM, rtguy007 said:

Nacole,

If you are still looking this is a killer deal on the champion 2000w. $400 with free shipping is really good for these. 2 of them and the parallel cable will get you going in you TT. Not sure how long they will be on sale for.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Champion-Watt-Inverter-Generator/1149997.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FCQ_page%3D20%26CQ_search%3Dgenerator%26CQ_st%3Db%26categoryId%3D734095080

Hey Ryan...thanks!  Tom and I have talked about generators a lot the past couple of days as we were anticipating some sales this holiday season (great price on this one BTW!).  What were trying to decide, is if we really need them. If our camping style stays the same, we'd probably only use a generator a few nights per year.  It would be a nice back up, if we loose power at home...so that's part of our thought process as well.  We typically loose power a few times a year, but usually only for 4-7 hours. So..long way of saying thanks for the heads up; we're thinking it over! ☺️

19 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Hey Ryan...thanks!  Tom and I have talked about generators a lot the past couple of days as we were anticipating some sales this holiday season (great price on this one BTW!).  What were trying to decide, is if we really need them. If our camping style stays the same, we'd probably only use a generator a few nights per year.  It would be a nice back up, if we loose power at home...so that's part of our thought process as well.  We typically loose power a few times a year, but usually only for 4-7 hours. So..long way of saying thanks for the heads up; we're thinking it over! ☺️

I've had an 8500W for the house for a number of years now. If you typically only lose power for 4-7 hours to me is would be a real pain to drag out and cut over to a generator. We only drag ours out when we are anticipating outages of 24 hours or more such as when we have an ice storm or hurricane. Since we are on a private well it is the only way we can get water during an outage. I've also pulled out a couple of times to keep the freezer running in the summer heat after tornadoes have knocked out our electric but again these outages were in the 16-20 hour range.

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

I've had an 8500W for the house for a number of years now. If you typically only lose power for 4-7 hours to me is would be a real pain to drag out and cut over to a generator. We only drag ours out when we are anticipating outages of 24 hours or more such as when we have an ice storm or hurricane. Since we are on a private well it is the only way we can get water during an outage. I've also pulled out a couple of times to keep the freezer running in the summer heat after tornadoes have knocked out our electric but again these outages were in the 16-20 hour range.

Yeah..that seems to be common theme with generators: balancing cost against hassle/maintenance and how much you'll actually use it.

On 11/26/2016 at 9:17 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

We were in that position when we got ours. We only use them at one campground and we don't take them with us when we go to campgrounds with power. If the campground looses power we have enough battery to run the fantastic fans on full for a few hours. Anything past that we would probably have an issue but we would deal with it.

Our last trip to the fort we couldn't get into our site and we wanted to sleep. We parked in overflow and flipped on both fantastic fans and cooled the TT down into the high 70's. While still hot it would have been over 100 in there without them. We both said the generators would have been nice then but we got into our site about 4 hours after we got there. First thing we did was hookup the power for AC.

11 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

We were in that position when we got ours. We only use them at one campground and we don't take them with us when we go to campgrounds with power. If the campground looses power we have enough battery to run the fantastic fans on full for a few hours. Anything past that we would probably have an issue but we would deal with it.

Our last trip to the fort we couldn't get into our site and we wanted to sleep. We parked in overflow and flipped on both fantastic fans and cooled the TT down into the high 70's. While still hot it would have been over 100 in there without them. We both said the generators would have been nice then but we got into our site about 4 hours after we got there. First thing we did was hookup the power for AC.

Same with us.  I've purchased a couple of battery operated fans and one powered by usb...along with some noise machines (a must for our family when sleeping).  This is why we are looking, but haven't purchased (a generator) yet.

• 4 weeks later...

been busy but I am gonna revive this thing... 
My Father and I buy Generators and Mowers off craigslist to repair and resell, its a hobby for him as he is a retired mechanic.

Currently we have a 2000 W Honda inverter, a 3000 W Honda Inverter, a 2800 Yamaha Inverter, and a briggs 2200W ineverter
in addition to an Onan ONAN EMERALD III GENERATOR, 6.5 that came out of a camper.

I have heard all of them running with in minutes of each other, The 3000W honda sounds quieter than the others, then its a toss up between the 2000 honda, the 2200 Briggs and the Onan, and rounding out the list but not far behind is the Yamaha

my dad is keeping the 2 honda's, and i was the one that found the Yamaha so I am keeping that.

With that being said, the Yamaha YG2800i is a power house for its size
its 66 lbs, its an inverter like the others just not fully enclosed.  running watts is 2500 with a peak of 2800 
When compared to the EU3000 its half the weight( honda = 131lbs) for only 300 less running watts
the Honda beats it on sound as its running noise no load is 50 DB where as its rated load is 58 DB, the Yamaha is 60 running with 65 at its rated load

Standing next to them you hear the difference, but get 20 feet away and you cant really tell anymore

Ill tell you that the Yamaha when i picked it up was 100% operational and I paid more due to that, a whopping $275, its a 10 year old generator, and the guy had all the receipts for it, including when he had it serviced a few times by the local Yamaha dealer.  I took it apart and repainted the unit and it looks almost new.( if i replaced the decals it would look new)  I plan on using it to tailgate more than camping, but its a "nice to have" as it will run a 13.5 AC on the camper should it be needed (Hurricane)

I guess what i am trying to say is don't buy new if you know how to clean a carburetor on a small engine, most of the time that is the only thing wrong, and if you don't know how to clean it, they can be purchased for less than the cost of a new generator.  Most of the sets we pick up are in the $50- 200 range, and usually need $30-$50 in parts or paint.
in my Yamaha Example it was $275 for the unit, $12 in paint and $5 for an oil change, $292 on a unit that still is for sale new today at $1600

2800 yamaha

1 hour ago, swimmarz said:

been busy but I am gonna revive this thing... 
My Father and I buy Generators and Mowers off craigslist to repair and resell, its a hobby for him as he is a retired mechanic.

Currently we have a 2000 W Honda inverter, a 3000 W Honda Inverter, a 2800 Yamaha Inverter, and a briggs 2200W ineverter
in addition to an Onan ONAN EMERALD III GENERATOR, 6.5 that came out of a camper.

I have heard all of them running with in minutes of each other, The 3000W honda sounds quieter than the others, then its a toss up between the 2000 honda, the 2200 Briggs and the Onan, and rounding out the list but not far behind is the Yamaha

my dad is keeping the 2 honda's, and i was the one that found the Yamaha so I am keeping that.

With that being said, the Yamaha YG2800i is a power house for its size
its 66 lbs, its an inverter like the others just not fully enclosed.  running watts is 2500 with a peak of 2800 
When compared to the EU3000 its half the weight( honda = 131lbs) for only 300 less running watts
the Honda beats it on sound as its running noise no load is 50 DB where as its rated load is 58 DB, the Yamaha is 60 running with 65 at its rated load

Standing next to them you hear the difference, but get 20 feet away and you cant really tell anymore

Ill tell you that the Yamaha when i picked it up was 100% operational and I paid more due to that, a whopping $275, its a 10 year old generator, and the guy had all the receipts for it, including when he had it serviced a few times by the local Yamaha dealer.  I took it apart and repainted the unit and it looks almost new.( if i replaced the decals it would look new)  I plan on using it to tailgate more than camping, but its a "nice to have" as it will run a 13.5 AC on the camper should it be needed (Hurricane)

I guess what i am trying to say is don't buy new if you know how to clean a carburetor on a small engine, most of the time that is the only thing wrong, and if you don't know how to clean it, they can be purchased for less than the cost of a new generator.  Most of the sets we pick up are in the $50- 200 range, and usually need $30-$50 in parts or paint.
in my Yamaha Example it was $275 for the unit, $12 in paint and $5 for an oil change, $292 on a unit that still is for sale new today at $1600

2800 yamaha

Thanks for the feedback on the units and their noise levels; that was very helpful!  Also, thanks for the input on what's typically wrong with used units...I don't know how to do work on them, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a youtube video (or two or three) that would show me how.  I've never seen them for that cheap on craigslist here in Atlanta... but I'll keep your comments in mind.  Thanks again!

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I've never seen them for that cheap on craigslist here in Atlanta... but I'll keep your comments in mind.  Thanks again!

we have acquired those over the course of 3 years, the last 2 were the Yamaha about 3 months ago and the EU 3000 Honda last month
because they are the "good ones" they go really fast and have a premium price unless they are not working, eve then some people ask for $400 and we dicker down to under $200 as its not working.

here is an example, most likely needs a cleaning... he says it works/ makes power so that's the important part.
honda EU  he is asking $600 but could be beat up for it due to cosmetics and such and get it for closer to 300... thats out CL works... you price things where you would like to see them go, knowing full well you may be accepting 1/2 of that posted price based on how long its been on there... you hit that 21 day mark and anyone is willing to make a deal

the number 1 issue with all gas powered items is fuel system problems, the honda's engine switch and fuel shut off are the same switch, so the carb never is run dry, so gas gets stale and starts to varnish and causes the rough idle or in some instances no starting as the jets are clogged.
Yamaha's have separate fuel and engine switch, you cut the fuel off and let the engine run out of gas, carb stays clean and never has the issue.

1 hour ago, swimmarz said:

we have acquired those over the course of 3 years, the last 2 were the Yamaha about 3 months ago and the EU 3000 Honda last month
because they are the "good ones" they go really fast and have a premium price unless they are not working, eve then some people ask for $400 and we dicker down to under $200 as its not working.

here is an example, most likely needs a cleaning... he says it works/ makes power so that's the important part.
honda EU  he is asking $600 but could be beat up for it due to cosmetics and such and get it for closer to 300... thats out CL works... you price things where you would like to see them go, knowing full well you may be accepting 1/2 of that posted price based on how long its been on there... you hit that 21 day mark and anyone is willing to make a deal

the number 1 issue with all gas powered items is fuel system problems, the honda's engine switch and fuel shut off are the same switch, so the carb never is run dry, so gas gets stale and starts to varnish and causes the rough idle or in some instances no starting as the jets are clogged.
Yamaha's have separate fuel and engine switch, you cut the fuel off and let the engine run out of gas, carb stays clean and never has the issue.

Thank you.  For us... we've decided that if we do get a generator, that we don't want a smaller unit because of their small gas tanks.  It would be a hassle to have to get up in the middle of the night, just to add gas.