New info on Wilderness Lodge pool/restaurant

Finally a bit of information on the pool and restaurant they're building at the Wilderness Lodge.  It says it's opening summer of 2017...we'll see.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/11/disney-announces-new-restaurants-pool-enhancements-disneys-wilderness-lodge/

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had some extra Southwest points so I came down just to see if this place was enclosable. Sent from my handheld doohickie

The Orlando Theme Park News website is reporting that the Geyser Point restaurant is opening on February 13th, and that Roaring Forks and the Trout Pass pool bar will simultaneously be shutting down f

That sounds just fine.  You'll be able to use the new pool and go to the new restaurant, and you'll have plenty of room in your villa.  I'd rather be in the original building too. TCD

Here is the Disney Parks Blog story if you need it.  https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/11/new-amenities-coming-soon-to-disneys-wilderness-lodge/

vkd888.jpg

New Amenities Coming Soon to Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Amanda Adler

by Amanda Adler, Public Relations Manager, Adventures by Disney

Those who’ve visited Disney’s Wilderness Lodge recently may have noticed that the Disney Vacation Club accommodations formerly known as The Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge have assumed a new name – Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. This new name more accurately reflects the railroad theming of Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and complements the storyline of the resort.

But that’s not all that’s changing at the resort. A sweeping re-imagination of the former Hidden Springs Pool area will help tell the richly layered backstory of Boulder Ridge. Depicted in the artist rendering below and scheduled to open in summer 2017, Boulder Ridge Cove will feature an expanded sun deck and zero-depth-entry pool in what appears to have been an abandoned rock quarry.

New Amenities Coming Soon to Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Such rejuvenating transformations were common in the Pacific Northwest following the mid-20th-century fading of the Transcontinental Railroad, as locals turned rails into trails – repurposing everything from bridges and tunnels to cranes and quarries. A nearby “Boulder Ridge Railway and Mining Co.” water tower will be among the pool area’s landmark reminders of its pioneering past, while a vintage mine cart supports the mining theme with an affectionate nod to Disney history.

Beyond the new pool space, scheduled enhancements to the resort are “chugging along” and include a brand-new bar & grill, in addition to a quick-service restaurant. Geyser Point Bar & Grill will be located in the heart of the feature pool area of Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, where Members and guests can grab a bite to eat as they lounge by the resort’s main pool. The rendering for this area highlights ample outdoor seating and architecture that looks right at home with that of the existing Lodge, as well as Boulder Ridge Villas.

Watch the Disney Parks Blog for future announcements about exciting changes and enhancements coming to these Disney Vacation Club Resorts!

photo credits: disneyparks.go.disney.com

• 2 months later...

The Orlando Theme Park News website is reporting that the Geyser Point restaurant is opening on February 13th, and that Roaring Forks and the Trout Pass pool bar will simultaneously be shutting down for refurbishment.  According to this article, Geyser Point will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner:

The Walt Disney World Resort just announced that the new Geyser Point Bar & Grill will officially open its doors to Guests on Monday, February 13 at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. At this location, Guests can settle back and relax at our open-air pool bar and grill located along the water’s edge of Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Cedar beams and natural stone will create a rustic setting reminiscent of the Pacific Northwest. Artisanal Pacific Northwest distilleries are the foundation for the refreshing pool bar cocktails.

While sipping a cool libation, Guests can also select from an assortment of unique small plates including our signature Shrimp on a Wire with Miso-Lime Vinaigrette, Togarashi, Shishito Peppers, and Chili-Aioli.

At the quick-service walk-up window, Guests will be able to discover a taste of the wilderness—from the Bison Burger with Tillamook Cheddar (a nod to the Pacific Northwest) and House-smoked Salmon BLT with Lemon-Caper Mayonnaise to a delicious Grilled Portobello, Zucchini, Roasted Red Peppers, Tomato, and Multi-Grain Salad with Goat Cheese. Sweet treats include Chocolate Brownie Mousse with Caramel Popcorn and Toasted Meringue and a house-made seasonal pie.

Roaring Fork Snacks and the nearby Trout Pass Pool Bar will be closed for refurbishment effective Monday, Feb. 13. The location will reopen with a fresh look later in 2017. During that time, the new Geyser Point Pool Bar & Grill will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as specialty cocktails, beer and wine. Territory Lounge will also continue to be available for Guests’ enjoyment.

It's interesting that the construction going on in that area of the Lodge is still in full swing, yet they are choosing to shut down the both the existing quick serve and bar locations and direct all guests over to the construction zone.

TCD

11 hours ago, dvccamper said:

We just booked a stay there for the end of the year, will be interested to see it for myself. I'm just hoping the pool will be done by then!

From the looks of things, I'm sure that new pool will be open this summer.

Are you going to be staying on one of the new cabins?

Sorry, I spelled that wrong- I meant Cabin$.

TCD

35 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

I guess they can justify charging the $2000-3000? a day per cabin when you had to pay $700 for a white tent (and you didn't get to stay overnight)!

9 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

If the points per night are comparable to what they ask for a bungalow over at the Poly that will be a no. We have 200 points a year...that won't even get two nights in a bungalow.  We've booked a two bedroom in the (old) villas, and I'm fine with that.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, dvccamper said:

If the points per night are comparable to what they ask for a bungalow over at the Poly that will be a no. We have 200 points a year...that won't even get two nights in a bungalow.  We've booked a two bedroom in the (old) villas, and I'm fine with that.

That sounds just fine.  You'll be able to use the new pool and go to the new restaurant, and you'll have plenty of room in your villa.  I'd rather be in the original building too.

TCD

The Disney Parks Blog posted a story on the new restaurant today:

Geyser Point Bar & Grill Opens at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge at Walt Disney World Resort

Pam Brandon

by Pam Brandon, Food Writer, Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort

Opening today at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge is the new Geyser Point Bar & Grill, where guests can grab a bite as they enjoy the resort’s rustic beauty.

Geyser Point Bar & Grill Opens at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge at Walt Disney World Resort Geyser Point Bar & Grill Opens at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge at Walt Disney World Resort

Located along the water’s edge, Geyser Point is designed with cedar beams and natural stone to fit into the design that’s reminiscent of the Pacific Northwest (especially cool after dark with campfires and the iconic Electrical Water Pageant on Bay Lake).

At the bar, artisanal sips add an authentic touch to beverage menus, including drinks which feature Pacific Northwest brewers and distilleries, and wines focusing on heritage varietals grown in Oregon and Washington.

Moscato Colada from Geyser Point Bar & Grill Opens at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Whipper Snapper Sour from Geyser Point Bar & Grill Opens at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Small plates pair beautifully with beverages, including crispy fried oysters with miso tartar sauce; edamame with chili salt; cheesy barbecue brisket with house-made chips; “Shrimp on a Wire” with miso-lime vinaigrette, togarashi (Japanese spice mixture), shishito peppers and chili-aioli; salmon rillettes with sourdough crisps, and handcrafted charcuterie.

Grilled Portobello Salad from Geyser Point Bar & Grill

Salmon Rillette from Geyser Point Bar & Grill Opens at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Bison Burger from Geyser Point Bar & Grill Opens at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, a quick-service walk-up window next to the bar makes it easy to order and dine alfresco.

Breakfast includes everything from scrambled eggs with sausage and bacon to crab cakes Benedict and maple-cinnamon pancakes. For a lighter bite, seasonal fruit is served with lavender honey-yogurt, and steel-cut oatmeal is topped with dried fruit and nuts. For kids, scrambled eggs, buttermilk pancakes and granola with apples, strawberries and honey-yogurt dip is on the menu.

The quick-service lunch and dinner menu, available at the walk-up window includes:

• Bison burger with Tillamook Cheddar, sweet onion straws and marionberry barbecue sauce
  • Classic bacon burger with Tillamook Cheddar
  • House-smoked turkey sandwich with cranberry mayonnaise
  • Lump crab cake sandwich with house-made Canadian bacon and spicy cabbage-carrot slaw
  • Grilled salmon BLT with lemon-caper mayonnaise
  • Salad with grilled Portobello, zucchini, roasted red peppers, tomato and multi-grain salad with goat cheese dressing
  • Grilled chicken or salmon with arugula and romaine, apples, seasonal berries, hazelnuts and red wine vinaigrette
  • Seasonal fruit plate with lavender honey yogurt
  • For dessert there’s seasonal pie and a chocolate brownie mousse with caramel popcorn and toasted meringue

Kids’ all-day menu:

• Grilled chicken strips with dipping sauces, apple or veggie sticks
  • Finger Food Sampler with sliced smoked turkey, Tillamook Cheddar, spiced apple jam, grape tomatoes and sourdough crisps.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/02/geyser-point-bar-grill-opens-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

It looks good to me.

And, it's only a quick bus or boat ride away from the Fort!

TCD

1 hour ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

It looks great in the pictures, I think it will be a nice spot to hang out when the weather is right.  I thought there was an a/c section?

I do think it will be pretty hectic while Roaring Forks is closed though.

WBI

I could be wrong, but I think everything in those photos is air-conditioned.  I think those are big glass windows.

ETA- It looks like I was wrong, according to this review:

In that case, I agree- I'm not sure how nice it will be to hang out in this place on a hot summer day.

TCD

Not going to be convenient for those who would grab a quick cup of coffee and bring back to the room while getting ready to go the parks.  Getting some quick breakfast while the boys were getting ready and letting them eat while I got ready was a nice bonus.  Not that I need that anymore.  LOL

35 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The Instagram posts are starting to flow.

This one shows that they didn't install any of that alligator fencing that they installed all over the property last summer:

I think I saw some video from a boat that shows there's a head wall there next to the restaurant so the water is about 2-3ft down.  I think the white you see in the picture is the top of the bulkhead.

I guess Disney is assuming people won't jump down into the water from there...

WBI

1 hour ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

It looks nice but I can't imagine who thought it was a good idea to leave it open like that. It's Florida, hot, rain, wind, bugs!

PghBob gave a quick report earlier this afternoon and reported that it is open on 3 sides.  But it almost looks like it has an air curtain system on the exterior walls.   Hopefully it does or at least a whole bunch of ceiling fans. Lol. 

14 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

It looks nice but I can't imagine who thought it was a good idea to leave it open like that. It's Florida, hot, rain, wind, bugs!

Seriously.  I've been trying to think of a comparable location.  Of course, all the seating at the original pool bar there was outside, and all of the other deluxe resorts have outdoor bars.  But those aren't quick serve food locations as well. 

There is a nice breeze that comes off of Bay Lake, and that will help.  But still, it could be very hot and unpleasant in there on most summer days.

TCD

39 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Seriously.  I've been trying to think of a comparable location.  Of course, all the seating at the original pool bar there was outside, and all of the other deluxe resorts have outdoor bars.  But those aren't quick serve food locations as well. 

There is a nice breeze that comes off of Bay Lake, and that will help.  But still, it could be very hot and unpleasant in there on most summer days.

TCD

But iirc all the deluxe resorts pool side bars serve food and are considered QS restaurants.   The restaurant i immediately thought of was Hurricane Hannas at the yacht/beach club.  All outside seating and a great seafood sandwich.  

2 minutes ago, PghBob said:

h2odivers said in part, hopefully they have a bunch of ceiling fans ...

They do.  Additionally, they have a bunch of electric heaters mounted up high.  I did not see, but did not look too hard, for any AC type equipment.

Ceiling fans wil definitely help as the place looks more enclosed then other deluxe resorts "pool bars".