I'm sure many of you have read already that Gatlinburg and pigeon forge were brutally damaged by a horrific wildfire. People have described it as the apocalypse in downtown Gatlinburg.  Many homes business and I'm sure campgrounds were destroyed.  This is one of our most favorite vacation spots and we were actually heading there in 4 weeks for New Years.  Please put these families in your prayers. It goes to show you are not safe anywhere in this world. 

Having been through fires similar to this when I lived on the west coast I know it is never easy leaving and not knowing if you will have a house to come back to. More important are all the family items that make up your memories that there is never time to collect when you are told to evacuate. All of the folks up in the mountains are in my thoughts this year. 

The storms that rolled through last night were strong and there was 1 tornado in it. The high winds kicked up 18 new fires in the mountains but I believe the new ones were contained fairly fast. It has been a good steady rain all day and I hope that it is helping extinguish the mess in that area.
I did see on the news earlier that the Red Cross has asked that people stop bringing up water\food\supplies as of now. Apparently they have received more than they know what to do with (not a bad problem in this case) and aren't real sure where to store it all.

So far Dollywood has not had any fire damage luckily, and the new resort appears to have escaped damage as well. This is a picture that was taken 2 nights ago when the fires started breaking out in Pigeon Forge as well:

DW_zpscjd9znml.jpg

1 hour ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

The storms that rolled through last night were strong and there was 1 tornado in it. The high winds kicked up 18 new fires in the mountains but I believe the new ones were contained fairly fast. It has been a good steady rain all day and I hope that it is helping extinguish the mess in that area.
I did see on the news earlier that the Red Cross has asked that people stop bringing up water\food\supplies as of now. Apparently they have received more than they know what to do with (not a bad problem in this case) and aren't real sure where to store it all.

So far Dollywood has not had any fire damage luckily, and the new resort appears to have escaped damage as well. This is a picture that was taken 2 nights ago when the fires started breaking out in Pigeon Forge as well:

DW_zpscjd9znml.jpg

When I first saw that picture of the Dreammore on FB my heart dropped.  

Its been several years since we have been to the area, but I found this updated page that lists a lot of businesses and areas that have been effected by the fires.  I'm sure there are several folks on here who are wondering how that favorite hotel, shop or restaurant fared during this tragic event.

Updated List of structures damaged as of Wednesday at 6:01pm 

32 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Any update on the guy who couldn't find his wife and two daughters?  I can't find any news newer than about 18 hours ago when he was still looking.

No.  Sadly, the last list I could find, still showed them missing. 

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2016/11/30/list-missing/94681070/

18 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2016/11/30/list-missing/94681070/

Thanks. Constance Reed is the name of the mother.  What a sad story.  I can't imagine what the husband is going through.  he must really be second guessing himself. :(

I'm still speechless.  I heard today Dolly Partons foundation is giving $1000 a month for 6 months to families who lost their homes.  Sounds like something Walt would have done when he was alive.  I also saw they have over seven suspects that they think started the original fire.  I haven't felt this bad since the gator incident st Disney. God bless these people and their communities 

This is such a sad story and to think the fires were deliberately set :(

Edited to add another thought.

These arsonists should also be charged with any/all of the deaths that have happened.

Here is a report from the Knoxville News Sentinel;

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2016/12/01/cades-coves-reopens-following-gatlinburg-wildfire/94727664/

45 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Edited to add another thought.

These arsonists should also be charged with any/all of the deaths that have happened.

Here is a report from the Knoxville News Sentinel;

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2016/12/01/cades-coves-reopens-following-gatlinburg-wildfire/94727664/

Without question.  Life without parole...at a minimum. Sickening.

Any update on the guy who couldn't find his wife and two daughters?  I can't find any news newer than about 18 hours ago when he was still looking.

Thanks. Constance Reed is the name of the mother.  What a sad story.  I can't imagine what the husband is going through.  he must really be second guessing himself. [emoji20]

The bodies of the mother and the daughters have been identified.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2016/12/03/mothers-body-found-daughters-still-missing-after-fire/94891978/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk