1 hour ago, keith_h said:

Mine gets shut down on the first attempt to use it in Florida. It has just become part of the ritual of being blocked, waiting for the call from the credit union and getting it reset.

Could you call them ahead of time? 

I'm really surprised we haven't had issues with Brian using his while working and me using it at home but I guess $8 charges at Waffle House in KY don't raise flags lol 

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

Mine gets shut down on the first attempt to use it in Florida. It has just become part of the ritual of being blocked, waiting for the call from the credit union and getting it reset.

Every time I travel to Fl my amx gets shutdown after the 2nd or 3rd charge.  They call, ask if I'm making purchases in Fl.  It even happens if i call them and tell them I'm traveling to Fl.  

They tell me Florida is the #1 location for credit card fraud.  They say this, but then never question a $3500 charge for Disney....

On 12/29/2016 at 7:59 PM, Beckers said:

Could you call them ahead of time? 

I'm really surprised we haven't had issues with Brian using his while working and me using it at home but I guess $8 charges at Waffle House in KY don't raise flags lol 

Doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

23 hours ago, bdm said:

Every time I travel to Fl my amx gets shutdown after the 2nd or 3rd charge.  They call, ask if I'm making purchases in Fl.  It even happens if i call them and tell them I'm traveling to Fl.  

They tell me Florida is the #1 location for credit card fraud.  They say this, but then never question a $3500 charge for Disney....

That is the thing that gets me and I bring it up every time they call me. Since they are looking at locations where I use my card you would think they could write an algorithm that recognizes my gas purchases on the way down and they fact that I have lodging charges for that same night in Florida. It should be pretty straight forward to code as the mapping stuff as it already exists for stuff like GPS, MapQuest/Google maps and the auto company tracking stuff (i.e. Onstar, etc). 

11 hours ago, keith_h said:

That is the thing that gets me and I bring it up every time they call me. Since they are looking at locations where I use my card you would think they could write an algorithm that recognizes my gas purchases on the way down and they fact that I have lodging charges for that same night in Florida. It should be pretty straight forward to code as the mapping stuff as it already exists for stuff like GPS, MapQuest/Google maps and the auto company tracking stuff (i.e. Onstar, etc). 

Agreed!! It was even worse on business travel... I had a plane flight booked on the same card to that destination (any destination), a rental car at that destination, a hotel booked at that destination, then, once I made my Wal-Mart stop on the way to my hotel, boom the card was flagged. After a long day of flying/traveling, having to deal with a declined card is a pain in the tutkus.....

On 12/30/2016 at 8:23 PM, keith_h said:

Agree they should be able to find a simple fix.  

But shop owners in Florida know its an ongoing problem and are very laid back about it

Just curious but are y'all having trouble with credit cards or debit cards?

i never seem to have trouble with my credit cards, including my Amex.  But when I used my debit card last week it said call bank. So I did and they said it was flagged because I was out of state.   

Credit card for me. I rarely use the debit card when traveling and the few transactions I do make are all PIN based and always work. My guess is if I tried to run the debit as a credit transactions it would be flagged too.

None of this flagging would have been necessary if the US had implemented chip and PIN instead of chip and sign. It is the PIN portion that makes in person use safe. All the chip does is make the electronic portion of the transaction safer.