MK to start single day dining plans on Jan 12

51 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That seems to good to be true.

So, what's in it for them?  Do you have to pay for parking?  Are there upsell opportunities for them in  in the park (souvenir photos or the like)?

TCD

I am guessing that all of these parks running seasonal dining plans must share one trait with WDW....a general degradation of food quality.  I bet the average dining check at Sesame Place is $7 or $8, and the cost to the park for that food is probably $1.75.  Take a look at the menu options in the handful of dining establishments at the park.  They aren't providing sit down meals for that $69.  We're talking burgers, chicken tenders, salads and 1/4 pound hot dogs.  

11 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I am guessing that all of these parks running seasonal dining plans must share one trait with WDW....a general degradation of food quality.  I bet the average dining check at Sesame Place is $7 or $8, and the cost to the park for that food is probably $1.75.  Take a look at the menu options in the handful of dining establishments at the park.  They aren't providing sit down meals for that $69.  We're talking burgers, chicken tenders, salads and 1/4 pound hot dogs.  

Very good point.

But still, it seems like a very low price to let guests have a meal every time they visit.  Do they just want bodies in the park that badly that they're taking a loss, or is there some other catch to this?  That's why I asked about parking.  I think Busch Gardens and Sea World  make passholders pay to park.  That's almost pure profit.

TCD

9 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Very good point.

But still, it seems like a very low price to let guests have a meal every time they visit.  Do they just want bodies in the park that badly that they're taking a loss, or is there some other catch to this?  That's why I asked about parking.  I think Busch Gardens and Sea World  make passholders pay to park.  That's almost pure profit.

TCD

Think about this another way.  You are looking at it through the prism of Disney World, which you visit many times per year.  But how many times per year do you think you could stomach visiting a park populated by Sesame Street characters?  

This dining pass has to be purchased in addition to your regular pass. sesame place offers different levels of passes, basic doesn't include parking but the one a level up does ( so most people get their child the pass with parking instead of the parents since you'll never go without the kid). They do sell pictures but they also have a deal where you can get a thumb drive for the whole season. 

I haven't been in a few year so I'm not sure if they are hurting for people or not.

15 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Very good point.

TCD

If you purchase a true AP (not the buy a day add a year fun card) at Busch or SeaWorld, the basic parking is included. That is why one family member will purchase a real AP, and everyone else gets the Fun Card Pass.  

If you have the Platinum AP, you get free preferred parking. 

7 minutes ago, Travisma said:

If you purchase a true AP (not the buy a day add a year fun card) at Busch or SeaWorld, the basic parking is included. That is why one family member will purchase a real AP, and everyone else gets the Fun Card Pass.  

If you have the Platinum AP, you get free preferred parking. 

That's similar to Dollywood.  The Gold Season Pass gets you free parking and 20% discount on food and merchandise in the parks.  I got the Gold pass, and got regular season passes for everyone else.  

16 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

We did the all day dining a couple of years ago at SeaWorld on a whim because it was 1/2 for pass holders.  We could eat at every restaurant except the fancy one at the shark exhibit as many times as we wanted.  We had great sandwiches at one place, mexican at another, and BBQ at a third.  All of the places were fast food types, you went thru the line cafeteria style, but the food was very good.

Aquatica has an all day dining at one of their food places.  It's pulled pork, burgers, hot dogs, pizza salads, drinks, dessert, etc. and it's less than $20.  They started a less expensive version at the same place.  One time entry but all you can eat and I think they dropped the price to about $15.

16 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Think about this another way.  You are looking at it through the prism of Disney World, which you visit many times per year.  But how many times per year do you think you could stomach visiting a park populated by Sesame Street characters?  

Another good point.

I'm sure there was some kind of analysis done by the Sesame Place owners, and they figured that it would take several visits before a guest would break even, and that most guests would not get their money's worth, or spend enough on extras that the price point makes sense.

Which is just what Disney did with this deal.  The price is set where some guests will "save" a few dollars by taking the deal.  But, they're banking on the fact that most won't.   Plus they have sold the guest two meals where most probably wouldn't have eaten two quick serve meals in the MK. Nobody is saving money with this deal- at worst, Disney is just making a little less profit. Disney always wins.

TCD

34 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Another good point.

I'm sure there was some kind of analysis done by the Sesame Place owners, and they figured that it would take several visits before a guest would break even, and that most guests would not get their money's worth, or spend enough on extras that the price point makes sense.

Which is just what Disney did with this deal.  The price is set where some guests will "save" a few dollars by taking the deal.  But, they're banking on the fact that most won't.   Plus they have sold the guest two meals where most probably wouldn't have eaten two quick serve meals in the MK. Nobody is saving money with this deal- at worst, Disney is just making a little less profit. Disney always wins.

TCD

I see a lot of food going to waste.  People will get the 2 meals even if they aren't hungry just to keep from wasting their $$.  Most people won't try to pack leftovers and save it for later either.

And I wouldn't  be surprised if they slowly reduce the serving sizes.  A 1/4 oz less here, a couple of fries less there, a few more ice cubes in a cup...

15 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Sesame Place is owned by Whoever owns Sea World.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that explains a few things.  I'm surprised no one has done a movie yet about the abuse in captivity of Oscar.  Poor thing has been trapped in that garbage can for nearly 50 years.  It's inhumane.  

2 hours ago, Beckers said:

Sesame Place is owned by Whoever owns Sea World.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaWorld Entertainment a division of Blackstone Holdings ownes Sesame Place along with these parks.

Busch Gardens parks

SeaWorld parks

Other theme parks

Water parks[edit]

Aquatica chain

Other water parks

4 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

If this dining plan could be used at any QS on property then it might interest me more.  We rarely stay in the MK long enough to eat 2 meals. Even if you could split the meals between parks it would make it more tempting. 

Ah, but that's exactly why WDW has it set up this way.  I think the plan is to target guests who are buying one day tickets at the ticket windows.  Those guests are probably not as savvy as guests with multi-day tickets or passes, and it will be an easy upsell opportunity.  It sounds like a great deal, but then they're locked in to eating two meals at the MK.  The beancounters probably are banking on a percentage of guests leaving before eating both meals.

TCD