I hadn't really been to Disney Springs since its relaunch so that was last night's project. I didn't want a lengthy meal so was looking for some quick serve. Blaze Pizza had a pretty long line up, plus I've been having grilled cheese for lunch every day this week so I thought maybe another plate of bread wasn't exactly what I wanted. So off I went to D-Luxe Burger.

I ordered their classic cheeseburger, regular fries with curry ketchup, and although I really wanted a milkshake I figured I'd already ordered two days worth of calories... and also a shake is $7 which seems like a lot.

They give you a table finder puck so you can sit wherever you want. It was a nice night so I sat outside, and there's a specific area on the table where the puck has to be placed. My food arrived pretty promptly.

Sorry about the flash for this picture but it was pretty dark outside. Here's how my burger and fries arrived - in a big paper bag.

Nd4n3cB.jpg

Unfortunately the best thing I can say about the food here is that the portions were big. The burger was just OK, and the fries were somehow chewy? Almost like they'd been made from very old potatoes. I liked the curry ketchup though - there wasn't enough for the amount of fries they give you. Also it looked like my table hadn't been cleaned/wiped in quite some time.

AP discount here of 20% so the burger, fries and a soft drink came to $15.58.

25 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

So someone without an AP would have paid around $20 for that meal??  That's a bit outrageous, even for Disney.  Especially if it was just ok.  

This restaurant is owned and operated by Disney, so the prices are consistent with what they charge for a burger all over WDW. http://burgerbusiness.com/inside-disneys-fast-casual-burger-joint/

About the chewy fries- they have some kind of whacky pre-cooking thing they do with soaking the fries in vinegar.  One blogger says the process takes three days!:

The fries go through a 3 day process where they are soaked in vinegar for 24 hours and cook up crispy.

http://www.mousesteps.com/dining-mainmenu-84/52-dining-reviews/2001-d-luxe-burger-review-disney-springs-quick-service-location-blends-great-food-storytelling

I have never heard of anyone doing this before, and I don't know where they got the bright idea.

TCD

1 minute ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

This restaurant is owned and operated by Disney, so the prices are consistent with what they charge for a burger all over WDW. http://burgerbusiness.com/inside-disneys-fast-casual-burger-joint/

You're saying a burger, fries and soft drink anywhere at WDW runs around $20?  I guess I didn't realize that.  Wow.  

7 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

You're saying a burger, fries and soft drink anywhere at WDW runs around $20?  I guess I didn't realize that.  Wow.  

It's pretty close- here's an excerpt from my post describing my first visit to D-Luxe Buger:

I planned to include a rant about the prices they charge here, so I took a photo of my receipt- $50 for three burgers, one order of fries and one shake.  It would have been more if we each ordered a drink:

7%204%2016%20292_zpskb56lgwz.jpg

But here's something that will come as a shock to you- I am not going to rant about the prices they charge.

How can I pick on D-Luxe burger when they charge about the same for the much lower quality burgers at the Disney quick serve locations in the parks?  A couple of prominent examples:

cosmic%20rays%20menu%207.16_zps2e9hywak.

Yak%20and%20Yeti%20lunch%20menu%207.16_z

Yes, I can rant that Disney food prices are ridiculous.  But, I can't say that D-Luxe Burger is as big a rip off as some of the other Disney quick serve places.  At least the food and atmosphere here is really good.

Here are is the large order of fries that we shared, and all six dipping sauces.  When I ordered, I asked the CM if it would be OK to order two dipping sauces since we weren't sure which to order.  She said it was OK to order all six.  So, I did:

7%204%2016%20293_zpsesmwmyf1.jpg

The six sauces are: Garlic Ranch, Horseradish; Chipotle Mayonnaise; 3 Mustard and Honey; Buffalo Blue Cheese and Curry Ketchup.  We liked all of them.  I really liked the Horseradish sauce.  The girls didn't like the Curry Ketchup as much as the rest of them, and I agreed with that assessment.

So, there are a couple of places that charge $15 for a burger with fries- add a soft drink for $3.50 and tax, and you're pretty close to $20.  At D-Luxe, a large order of fries was plenty for three of us to share.

TCD

I'm guess I'm out of touch with Disney burger prices...I haven't had a burger or WDW in quite a few years.  But I suppose I'd be better with the prices if the food was really good.  Like Mo said....burger quality is one thing, but fries?  C'mon.  I can go to Five Guys or one of their competitors and get a huge bag of delicious french fries.  It's not difficult to do.  You slice some fresh potatoes, you deep fry them until they are golden and slightly crispy, and you salt them.  Chewy fries are inexcusable under any circumstances, but even more so when you charge an arm and a leg for them.  Furthermore, I think it's even more inexcusable outside of the parks.  Everyone sort of expects the food quality at Cosmic Ray's to suck.  But I would expect more from this joint.  But I do remember your review, and it was mostly positive, so perhaps they just were having an off night when wendinator visited.  

I'm sorry to hear about the fries.

Soaking in vinegar water is an old trick, but I've never heard of three days before.  I actually think McDonald's used to soak in vinegar water back in the old days.  I've done it quite a few times and we like the extra taste/crisp it gives.

WBI

41 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I'm guess I'm out of touch with Disney burger prices...I haven't had a burger or WDW in quite a few years.  But I suppose I'd be better with the prices if the food was really good.  Like Mo said....burger quality is one thing, but fries?  C'mon.  I can go to Five Guys or one of their competitors and get a huge bag of delicious french fries.  It's not difficult to do.  You slice some fresh potatoes, you deep fry them until they are golden and slightly crispy, and you salt them.  Chewy fries are inexcusable under any circumstances, but even more so when you charge an arm and a leg for them.  Furthermore, I think it's even more inexcusable outside of the parks.  Everyone sort of expects the food quality at Cosmic Ray's to suck.  But I would expect more from this joint.  But I do remember your review, and it was mostly positive, so perhaps they just were having an off night when wendinator visited.  

You're right- the prices are high.  But I say that about all of Disney's food prices.  I thought the burgers and fries at D-Luxe were on the same level of Red Robin, Burger 21, or Five Guys.  Which means much better than the grey hockey pucks they've been serving in the quick serve places in the parks and hotel quick serves.

Significantly, none of us have been back to D-Luxe, including Twin #2 who works a day or two every week just steps from there, and is entitled to a CM discount.

We are, however, big fans of Blaze pizza.  Twin #2 goes there a lot.

TCD

I've worked and managed several restaurants that made fries and everyone of them we soaked and par fried our French fries.    Only one did we use vinegar. As vinegar changes the flavor of said fries.   At one restaurant we sold them with occasionally, with a burger, as "vinegar fries"   

If you want really good crispy fries try this trick. 

Cut your potatoes and place them in water for 30 minutes to several hours.  You can actually do this the night before or the morning to save you time.  

Then dry the fries with some paper towels and drop into a 275 degrees deep fryer for about 5 minutes or so. Just until they are cooked.   This allows you to cook for bigger groups  because you can par cook several patches and set them aside  

When your done par frying turn up oil to 350-375 degrees.   And cook fries until golden brown.  Remove and immediately salt to taste. 

10 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's pretty close- here's an excerpt from my post describing my first visit to D-Luxe Buger:

I planned to include a rant about the prices they charge here, so I took a photo of my receipt- $50 for three burgers, one order of fries and one shake.  It would have been more if we each ordered a drink:

7%204%2016%20292_zpskb56lgwz.jpg

But here's something that will come as a shock to you- I am not going to rant about the prices they charge.

How can I pick on D-Luxe burger when they charge about the same for the much lower quality burgers at the Disney quick serve locations in the parks?  A couple of prominent examples:

cosmic%20rays%20menu%207.16_zps2e9hywak.

Yak%20and%20Yeti%20lunch%20menu%207.16_z

Yes, I can rant that Disney food prices are ridiculous.  But, I can't say that D-Luxe Burger is as big a rip off as some of the other Disney quick serve places.  At least the food and atmosphere here is really good.

Here are is the large order of fries that we shared, and all six dipping sauces.  When I ordered, I asked the CM if it would be OK to order two dipping sauces since we weren't sure which to order.  She said it was OK to order all six.  So, I did:

7%204%2016%20293_zpsesmwmyf1.jpg

The six sauces are: Garlic Ranch, Horseradish; Chipotle Mayonnaise; 3 Mustard and Honey; Buffalo Blue Cheese and Curry Ketchup.  We liked all of them.  I really liked the Horseradish sauce.  The girls didn't like the Curry Ketchup as much as the rest of them, and I agreed with that assessment.

So, there are a couple of places that charge $15 for a burger with fries- add a soft drink for $3.50 and tax, and you're pretty close to $20.  At D-Luxe, a large order of fries was plenty for three of us to share.

TCD

I think you should rant.   Lol  

At cosmic RAYS you can get a 1/3 lb angus bacon chessburger with fries for $12.99

at D Luxe you can get a regular bacon blue burger and small fries for $16.98. 

Cosmic RAYS is definitely a better burger and deal. 

I would definetly recommend cosmic RAYS hamburgers. 

Trust me cosmic RAYS makes a good burger. 

Thank you 

RAY

Blaze pizza was slamming when we were at Disney springs which is why we ended up getting pizza at Wolf Gang puck express. It was pretty decent pizza too. $13 for what I could call a medium, it had 6 slices. I had other stuff in my bag but if I didn't, one pizza wouldn't have feed the 4 of us. 

12 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

At cosmic RAYS you can get a 1/3 lb angus bacon chessburger with fries for $12.99

Thank you 

RAY

LOL.

Can't argue with that.

7 hours ago, Beckers said:

Oh I just read there is an app for blaze pizza that offers discounts and they are even valid as DS.

How much of a discount are we talking?  CM's get a discount at Blaze (I think it's 15%), so I always make sure that Twin #2 is with us when we go.

TCD

16 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Thank you 

RAY

When did burger and hot dog prices climb into the stratosphere and cost more then a decent sit down meal used to cost?

Burgers and hotdogs were cheap inexpensive pic-nic food.  Not gourmet fare!

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

They are all over, including Oklahoma City according to their website.  

Lol!  The blaze pizza in Oklahoma City is in the same parking lot of the Lowe's home improvement center that I've been to five or six times this week. I can't believe I missed it.  I'll have to try it one of these days. 

• 5 months later...

A couple of new developments pertaining to D-Luxe Burger.

First- they started a new "deal" where you can bundle two burgers, an order of fries and two drinks for a set price.  It basically works out that you are getting the drinks for free.  The TCD twins told me about this deal after a recent visit.  It's not bad when combined with the Passholder discount:

d%20luxe%20burger%20menu_zps7g2f4wea.jpg

Link to the whole menu: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/disney-springs/d-luxe-burger/menus/

Second- the Mobile Ordering app is up an running per the official Disney site.  This is the first WDW restaurant outside of AK to offer this:

mobile%20app_zpsqptry2ut.jpg

And one more thing- the girls and I ate at Blaze Pizza in Disney Springs over the weekend. On the way out, we were stopped by a Disney CM who asked us to take a survey, which turned out to be rather long. Based on what we heard from the survey taker, Disney is impressed with Blaze Pizza, and is spying on their operation in order to replicate it.

TCD