First Timer: Category/Loop Pick

I am renting an RV and going down with my wife and our dog (pet friendly). We don't need to be next to anything or close to any amenities. Just looking for a nice size site with the basic amenities for our RV. I was thinking about Preferred around the 300 loop?! We are also going to rent a car for a couple days to drive outside the area. Any comments or suggestions?  Also, is the Wifi installation completed or do we need to rent their "Internet" unit when we get there?

ANY suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome, Fred!

There are over 800 campsites at Fort Wilderness, and I'd stay in any of them.

You didn't say when you're planning to come, but you may want to check and see what level of sites are available for your stay.  There are less preferred and full hook up sites than there are premium, so there may not be a preferred site available for you to reserve.

The Wi-Fi installation at the Fort is complete, and they no longer lend the internet kits.

TCD

First off Welcome!

TCD hit submit before I did and pretty much covered everything. Like he said I wouldn't turn down a site at the Fort.  If you haven't already download the Fort Fiend app which has pictures and sizes of the sites, it might help you decide which level of site you'd like. I will say I prefer the premium sites because they are all concrete instead of having the shell pad in the back and strip down the awning side. 

thank you both for your input!!!!  I'm going down around October 15th for 6 nights. So far, I booked a Preferred site as the Premium sites were not available; however, they said I can keep checking back for anyone who may cancel.

I guess the only Preferred (Pet Loop) is the 300 ... My unit is 31 feet long and with the slide out is about 12.5 feet wide. I wanted some space on the side for chairs, table, awning... Also, I will have a rental car, so I guess I will have to pull the unit back on 1/2 the pad and 1/2 the sand area??? Will this make it unlevel???

4 minutes ago, Fred said:

thank you both for your input!!!!  I'm going down around October 15th for 6 nights. So far, I booked a Preferred site as the Premium sites were not available; however, they said I can keep checking back for anyone who may cancel.

I guess the only Preferred (Pet Loop) is the 300 ... My unit is 31 feet long and with the slide out is about 12.5 feet wide. I wanted some space on the side for chairs, table, awning... Also, I will have a rental car, so I guess I will have to pull the unit back on 1/2 the pad and 1/2 the sand area??? Will this make it unlevel???

You'll be fine with a 31' Motorhome.  You should be able to park on the pavement and still have room for a car in front.  A lot of folks have to park their cars parallel to the road to fit, but you should be fine with the rental car.  For your size RV, you will be fine on any site on the 300 loop, and you will have room for your slide and awning.

Even if you had to have your back wheels on the coquina (it's not sand) pad, you will be pretty level.

TCD

2 hours ago, jayco1 said:

An extra section of water or drain hose will give you a little more flexibilty in parking and avoids buying one at Meadows discounted prices. ;)

Also, an RV extension cord may come in handy, as you never know where the electrical connection will be in relation to where you want to put your camper.

On 1/31/2017 at 4:02 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

You'll be fine with a 31' Motorhome.  You should be able to park on the pavement and still have room for a car in front.  A lot of folks have to park their cars parallel to the road to fit, but you should be fine with the rental car.  For your size RV, you will be fine on any site on the 300 loop, and you will have room for your slide and awning.

Even if you had to have your back wheels on the coquina (it's not sand) pad, you will be pretty level.

TCD

Thank you so much. A appreciate the info. I was worried as my RV doesn't have the level system working 100%. I know every site is probably great. 

On 2/2/2017 at 3:17 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Also, an RV extension cord may come in handy, as you never know where the electrical connection will be in relation to where you want to put your camper.

That's a great suggestion. I'll be sure to do just that.