7 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

But therein lies the problem with kimmelwick rolls.  They cannot be shipped.  And they cannot be stored.  The crusted salt, when sealed inside a plastic bag, causes the roll to get grossly soggy.  And if you leave them in a paper sack they will be hard as a rock the next day.  I know from experience, as we prepared beef on wecks for Christmas Eve for many years when our girls were little.  And I made many early morning runs to my favorite bakery in West Seneca, NY on Christmas Eve to buy kimmelwick rolls fresh from the oven for that evening's festivities.  So I'm interested to know where they are getting those rolls at the food truck.  Perhaps someone has developed a way to ship the frozen dough that will bake up nicely.  Or, perhaps the roll sucks.  

What bakery in West Seneca?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spotted these pics shared to a Facebook group. Anyone seen it in person yet?

I was there this weekend and saw them. The food items are great (tried them all) but if you cannot eat spicy food, have them take off the horseradish sauce. It only started this weekend, but the

A cart isn't going to cut it for me. I'll need a big tow truck with a snow plow blade on the front.  The snow plow blade is for tents put up where they don't belong.  I'll push them back to the a

22 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

But therein lies the problem with kimmelwick rolls.  They cannot be shipped.  And they cannot be stored.  The crusted salt, when sealed inside a plastic bag, causes the roll to get grossly soggy.  And if you leave them in a paper sack they will be hard as a rock the next day.  I know from experience, as we prepared beef on wecks for Christmas Eve for many years when our girls were little.  And I made many early morning runs to my favorite bakery in West Seneca, NY on Christmas Eve to buy kimmelwick rolls fresh from the oven for that evening's festivities.  So I'm interested to know where they are getting those rolls at the food truck.  Perhaps someone has developed a way to ship the frozen dough that will bake up nicely.  Or, perhaps the roll sucks.  

The picture of Disney's sandwich isn't the greatest but I don't see any salt on the roll just various seeds. If there is any salt it is not a heavy coating like you have in your picture.

Someone mentioned Philly water being important to the bread. The hardness and Ph of water can have a big effect on bread as it affects how the yeast grows and the development of gluten. Too hard or too soft of water and the dough will not turn out well.

The picture of Disney's sandwich isn't the greatest but I don't see any salt on the roll just various seeds. If there is any salt it is not a heavy coating like you have in your picture.

Someone mentioned Philly water being important to the bread. The hardness and Ph of water can have a big effect on bread as it affects how the yeast grows and the development of gluten. Too hard or too soft of water and the dough will not turn out well.

I talked with the owner of an Italian store in Nashville about that once. He moved here from Chicago, and I mentioned how I missed the bread in Buffalo. He told me he baked in Chicago but wasn't able to get the same results in Nashville because of the water. I was sad about that for many years, but I've learned to love biscuits. [emoji1]

Sent from my handheld doohickie

13 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I talked with the owner of an Italian store in Nashville about that once. He moved here from Chicago, and I mentioned how I missed the bread in Buffalo. He told me he baked in Chicago but wasn't able to get the same results in Nashville because of the water. I was sad about that for many years, but I've learned to love biscuits. emoji1.png

I consider the Chicago area my hometown as it is where I went to high school and my wife's family is from there. The only way I have been able to get anything close to a good Italian Beef down here is to order a kit from Portillo's (I used to buy from Scala's but they don't sell online anymore). The bread comes par baked and frozen so you can finish it off locally. I think they still use the Gonnella bakery and I have yet to find any place locally that has the same texture and bakes up the right way.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:30 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you ever find yourself in Dunedin, FL, check out a place called Delco's Steaks and Hoagies.  They also have a large Tastykake inventory, which used to be a big deal, but now they sell those in Publix.  They also import those God-awful Philly pretzels that street vendors sell in Philadelphia.  I forgot how nasty those were.  But their cheesesteaks are the best!

I have serious doubts that the Disney kimmelwick roll will be even close to what it should be.  You know these are probably made in bulk somewhere in a Disney bakery, and I highly doubt that they're made fresh daily.  I'm still willing to give it a try, though.

TCD

God-awful Philly pretzels!!!??? They were my breakfast food when going to Drexel University in Philly (along with a Pepsi).  Best when warmed in the armpit of some guy who looks like you don't want to be around him! Still pick them up from Wawa on 192 on my way to work in the morning.  Lunch was always a mushroom cheesesteak from a food truck on 32nd street. Can't beat Philly food. I alwaus remember buying the pretzels at Veteran's Stadium before a Phillies game.  You always looked for the guy with a shopping cart full of pretzels and then it was time to negotiate.  "How much? Four for a dollar. How about 8 for a dollar? No! Four for a dollar. How about 4 for 50 cents? Deal! OK, give me 8."

That's the biggest thing I miss living in central Florida.  We did find some great Italian restaurants (Stefano's Tratoria, Nonno's Italian Restaurant, and Antonella's Pizzeria in Winter Park).  Wawa also helped a lot since their hoagies are just as good down here as the Wawas in the Philly area.  

You need to work on your taste for pretzels! :lol:

4 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Wawa also helped a lot since their hoagies are just as good down here as the Wawas in the Philly area.  

WaWa is good as far as a chain goes, much better than Subway.

But there is nothing like a veal (chunks of meat, not a breaded patty) and peppers parmigian from a good Italian resturant.

On 3/4/2017 at 8:07 AM, DaveInTN said:

I talked with the owner of an Italian store in Nashville about that once. He moved here from Chicago, and I mentioned how I missed the bread in Buffalo. He told me he baked in Chicago but wasn't able to get the same results in Nashville because of the water. I was sad about that for many years, but I've learned to love biscuits. emoji1.png

I guess the clean water in Nashville doesn't quite have the same flavor as water coming out of Lake Michigan. Lol. 

and I don't event want to think about what's in the water in philly!

Let's not get to comfy on that high horse there Mrs. New Jersey. Ever since Rolling Rock was bought by A-B and moved from Latrobe, Pa to some armpit in Newark NJ, I can't even drink it anymore. 2 sips tops and I want to wretch. Just thinking about how it tastes now is sending involuntary spasms to my stomach [emoji13]

I guess that in the end it's a good thing though as it cut my alcohol consumption way down as that was my warm weather beer of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, bhall said:

Let's not get to comfy on that high horse there Mrs. New Jersey. Ever since Rolling Rock was bought by A-B and moved from Latrobe, Pa to some armpit in Newark NJ, I can't even drink it anymore. 2 sips tops and I want to wretch. Just thinking about how it tastes now is sending involuntary spasms to my stomach emoji13.png

I guess that in the end it's a good thing though as it cut my alcohol consumption way down as that was my warm weather beer of choice.

Try Gennesee Cream Ale as a replacement, or Yuengling.

Lager, (that's what us Pennsylvanians refer to Yuengling at the bars and beer distributors) is what my Fall and Winter and chili recipe beer of choice is. Sam Adams is brewed at the old Latrobe brewery as well and I've been told that is the Sam Adams that we get in this region. I've heard that Heineken Blonde is brewed at Latrobe now and that is taste similar to the old Rolling Rock.

. I should start brewing myself again but haven't had time to bottle up my own spring water.

24 minutes ago, bhall said:

Lager, (that's what us Pennsylvanians refer to Yuengling at the bars and beer distributors) is what my Fall and Winter and chili recipe beer of choice is. Sam Adams is brewed at the old Latrobe brewery as well and I've been told that is the Sam Adams that we get in this region. I've heard that Heineken Blonde is brewed at Latrobe now and that is taste similar to the old Rolling Rock.

. I should start brewing myself again but haven't had time to bottle up my own spring water.

I had read that the Red Stripe we buy in America is brewed in Latrobe now too.  Don't remember where I saw that

Sam Adams bought the brewery in Fogelsville, PA and I have read it is their largest producing brewery.

We stayed in fort wilderness 2 weeks ago and tried the food truck by the campfire area for the first time. My wife and I both had the 'Fort Wilderness Smoked Pork belly Tillamook Cheeseburger'. Which is basically a bacon cheeseburger with chipotle BBQ sauce on it. We both feel that it was the best burger we have had on Disney property!! It's a fresh burger that was never frozen and it not the same type of burger you get at most quick service restaurants.

We stayed in fort wilderness 2 weeks ago and tried the food truck by the campfire area for the first time. My wife and I both had the 'Fort Wilderness Smoked Pork belly Tillamook Cheeseburger'. Which is basically a bacon cheeseburger with chipotle BBQ sauce on it. We both feel that it was the best burger we have had on Disney property!! It's a fresh burger that was never frozen and it not the same type of burger you get at most quick service restaurants.

Welcome!

Thanks for sharing your review.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, HarpersTHEhappyCampers said:

Cool I will have to try it.

9 hours ago, HarpersTHEhappyCampers said:

Thanks for the review. I do love a good burger. 

BTW. Welcome!    Jump right in the water is fine  

We have a thread we're you can go and introduce yourself. 

10 hours ago, HarpersTHEhappyCampers said:

Welcome!

Thanks for posting the review.  That is really good news about the burgers!

TCD

10 hours ago, HarpersTHEhappyCampers said:

WELCOME!! Thanks!

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, djsamuel said:

God-awful Philly pretzels!!!??? They were my breakfast food when going to Drexel University in Philly (along with a Pepsi).  Best when warmed in the armpit of some guy who looks like you don't want to be around him! Still pick them up from Wawa on 192 on my way to work in the morning.  Lunch was always a mushroom cheesesteak from a food truck on 32nd street. Can't beat Philly food. I alwaus remember buying the pretzels at Veteran's Stadium before a Phillies game.  You always looked for the guy with a shopping cart full of pretzels and then it was time to negotiate.  "How much? Four for a dollar. How about 8 for a dollar? No! Four for a dollar. How about 4 for 50 cents? Deal! OK, give me 8."

That's the biggest thing I miss living in central Florida.  We did find some great Italian restaurants (Stefano's Tratoria, Nonno's Italian Restaurant, and Antonella's Pizzeria in Winter Park).  Wawa also helped a lot since their hoagies are just as good down here as the Wawas in the Philly area.  

LOL.

Yes, those pretzels sold by the street vendors are the ones I'm talking about.  God-awful!  Stale.  Cold.  WaWa pretzels are a much improved version of the ones I remember being sold on the streets of Philly.  The Philly pretzels sold at the place local to me look like they kind sold by that guy with the stolen shopping cart.

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

LOL.

Yes, those pretzels sold by the street vendors are the ones I'm talking about.  God-awful!  Stale.  Cold.  WaWa pretzels are a much improved version of the ones I remember being sold on the streets of Philly.  The Philly pretzels sold at the place local to me look like they kind sold by that guy with the stolen shopping cart.

TCD

Those pretzels are all crap!! You need pretzels from https://phillypretzelfactory.com/

best pretzels ever. I would never buy a Wawa pretzel or one from creepy shopping cart guy. I enjoy Wawa but not their pretzels.

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

Those pretzels are all crap!! You need pretzels from https://phillypretzelfactory.com/

best pretzels ever. I would never buy a Wawa pretzel or one from creepy shopping cart guy. I enjoy Wawa but not their pretzels.

Wow! I just looked at the calories on their Web site. My life is ruined (or just my health)!