Jump to content
blueangel

Newbie heading to WDW

Recommended Posts

We're excited to be able to fulfill a promise to our Daughter (Christy) this Oct. by carrying her to WDW. We made this promise 16-17 years ago to carry her to WDW when she graduated from college.. Unfortunately she was involved in an accident that left her with a severe Traumatic Brain injury. Three years ago we started camping simply because we didn't have any other means to carry everything she requires in our van. A few modifications to my truck and a Toy hauler RV and we are set. This is our first time visiting Fort Wilderness so we are as green as you can get. When we made reservations we asked to be close to the rest station (more for me than Christy) and near to transportation. We also requested a Premium site for the size. Our RV is 39 ft. long and we utilize the rear ramp as an entryway into the camper for Christy. I suspect a majority of our visits to the parks will be at MK so we are hoping to be close to the Marina. Her chair is larger than most so I suspect while we are in the park I will be pushing and didn't want to push anymore than I have to. How accommodating are they at filling these type of requests or am I asking too much. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to any and everything.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know 500 loop has some very long sites. So if you request that loop, you should be able to have plenty of room in back to raise and lower the ramp and still have room for your truck at the site.

500 loop is also reasonable walking distance to the marina, so you won't need to board in internal bus to get to the boat. There is a comfort station down a path near Site 513-515 in that area.

400 loop is closer to the marina than 500, but not sure how long the sites are on that loop. The same comfort station is down a path near Site 412-415

If being near the comfort station and site length are primary concerns, then many of the premium loops will meet this request. There are internal buses that can take you close to the marina.

 

Welcome! Oh, and we do have a member here that is a paraplegic that used to use a toy hauler RV for the exact same reasons you do with an electric wheelchair. Haven't seen them post in awhile, and they have moved to Orlando, so they just visit locally instead of camp. But just wanted to let you know that the Fort premium sites are well-laid out for what you want to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always found that the front desk at Wilderness is VERY accommodating to what you need.  When you make your reservations, you can "request" where you want to be, IE; need comfort stations, near transportation centers, near, boat dock, ect.  I also called the forts main desk and talked reservationists there.  They can make better notes in your account and help more than the WDW reservation system people do as they do all the park.  Once we got there, and they told us where they had placed us,  you can tell them if that site works for you or not.  If not, they will work with you to get you a site that will best suit your needs.  Hope that helps and enjoy!  Love Wilderness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!!!  Like Carol said, some of the sites in 500 are SUPER long.  For instance, 523 is a great site, relatively close to the comfort station, and incredibly long.  I would recommend putting in a request as it gets closer to your trip, and specifying what your needs are in particular as it pertains to access to the rear ramp on concrete, and you could state all of that and say something like "similar to site 523".  That way, they know your needs and will know what to pair you with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!!

In addition to 500, I would suggest you consider 800 and 900- there are several sites on those loops which would put you close to both a bus stop and comfort station.  And, if you want to get real specific, site 1001 would put the back of your ramp only a few feet from the bus stop. 

Also, you stated that you requested a premium site.  Make sure that you have reserved a premium site.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

402 is the longest site at the FORT, 82', that would also put you very close to the Marina and very close to 100/200 comfort station (right across the road) As everyone has said the front desk will do all it can to accomodate you.

Did you make your reservations yet? If not contact Jason, our TA in residence. I think he can be sure your requests are added to your ressie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

402 is the longest site at the FORT, 85', that would also put you very close to the Marina and very close to 100/200 comfort station (right across the road) As everyone has said the front desk will do all it can to accomodate you.

Did you make your reservations yet? If not contact Jason, our TA in residence. I think he can be sure your requests are added to your ressie.

That's a very good suggestion.  But, that's a hard site to get.  Those first few sites in the 400 loop attract long-term guests.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But Oct usually isn't when that happens. We used to get it in Oct and then again in Jan for the winter. 417 would be good too, that is where Devores was for a year. CS is right there and it's 72 or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

402 is the longest site at the FORT, 82', that would also put you very close to the Marina and very close to 100/200 comfort station (right across the road) As everyone has said the front desk will do all it can to accomodate you.

Did you make your reservations yet? If not contact Jason, our TA in residence. I think he can be sure your requests are added to your ressie.

Thank you very much for the information. Forgive me, but what is the TA and what is Jasons last name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     Thank you all for the much needed information. I'm sure I will be asking more as the months whittle down. We are used to using the Ga state park system and for the most part we love it. This is by far the biggest camp ground we have ever visited and truthfully it is a little intimidating.

     We are planning on coming down Interstate 75. I saw where I will be traveling some toll roads. Will I have any trouble navigating through. How many and how much are the Tolls. I want to make sure I have correct change. Its been well over 20 years since I've been in this area and was curious. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All depends on number of axles.

On the main turnpike, you will have one toll booth, If I remember correctly it is $2.50 for two axles, then an additional $2.50 for each additional axle.

On 429, there is one toll booth, and it is around $1.25 for two axles, then an additional .75 for each additional axle.

The toll booths will fit any type of vehicle.

If you want to use the unmanned booths then I would bring two rolls of quarters for each direction, just in case.

OR you could go to the SunPass website and order a sticker transponder, load some cash on it, and stick it in your tow vehicle.

Also, from what I understand, Georgia now has some toll lanes, and I "THINK" the two systems talk to each other. So if you already have a Peach Pass, double check to see if it works in FL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, blueangel said:

 This is by far the biggest camp ground we have ever visited and truthfully it is a little intimidating.

That's understandable, but don't let it intimidate you.  The problem with the internet and message boards is that it creates things for folks to worry about that they don't need to worry about.  Fort Wilderness is the nicest campground you will ever see.  Every site is nice, and each loop and location has pros and cons.  Just make sure that you have the proper level of site reserved, and make sure that they know about your special requirements.  After that, there's nothing to worry about.  It will be the greatest trip you've ever had.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miss. Carol for the pointers / information.

Thanks TCD for the confidence builder. It's 8 months away and  I guess I'm just a little apprehensive or maybe just looking forward to it. The last time I was at WDW I was only 8 or 9, now I'm 53.

Camping has been such a blessing for us to just get away. Usually all we do is walk the parks we visit and meet folks. I think this is the first trip where we actually are planning activities. If Ya'll are around in Mid Oct and see a fat man, with a gorgeous woman, pushing a wheelchair, please give us a shout we would love to meet cha.

camping all.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, Welcome!  There is a ton of useful information here and many folks willing to answer ANY question you may have. Regarding the toll road pricing, we were there in the fall and the pricing was $3 per axle, Truck counted as one axle =$3 and tandem axle trailer counted as two axles = $6, total of $9,  to pass through the first toll on 429?  turnpike. The exit tolls were $1.50 total. For our next trip we are ordering a SunPass Sticker so that we don't have to mess with the line of paying vehicles. These prices may vary depending on the time of year, but this was our experience in the fall.

TCD is correct about the nicest camping destination. We constantly compare all other campgrounds to the Fort, and have yet to find one any better.

We have reservations for the end of October, and are waiting to see if some things open up to maybe get in a little earlier. Maybe our paths will cross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

All depends on number of axles.

On the main turnpike, you will have one toll booth, If I remember correctly it is $2.50 for two axles, then an additional $2.50 for each additional axle.

On 429, there is one toll booth, and it is around $1.25 for two axles, then an additional .75 for each additional axle.

The toll booths will fit any type of vehicle.

If you want to use the unmanned booths then I would bring two rolls of quarters for each direction, just in case.

OR you could go to the SunPass website and order a sticker transponder, load some cash on it, and stick it in your tow vehicle.

Also, from what I understand, Georgia now has some toll lanes, and I "THINK" the two systems talk to each other. So if you already have a Peach Pass, double check to see if it works in FL.

The GA Peach Pass and FL Sunpass are supposedly compatible with each other at least according to their websites.

The FL Sunpass credit card looking type is available in vending machines at most of the welcome areas and rest stops.  They are also available in Publix and most Walgreens and CVS.  

They cost $5, then you log into the Sunpass website, set up an account, and add funds to it. About 5 minutes later you are ready to bypass all the toll booths.  There is a slight discount for using the transponders instead of stopping to pay.  Looking at the toll information some tolls will be 26 cents instead of 50, some are 79 instead of a $1.00. 

 

For more info

https://www.sunpass.com

http://www.peachpass.com/ 

Both websites say they are also good in NC besides each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blueangel said:

Thanks TCD for the confidence builder. It's 8 months away and  I guess I'm just a little apprehensive or maybe just looking forward to it. The last time I was at WDW I was only 8 or 9, now I'm 53.

A lot has changed at WDW since you last visited, and some planning will help you enjoy the trip more, but don't let it overwhelm you.  Look at it this way- this will be the first of many, many happy visits to the Fort.  You don't need to try and do it all on this trip, and everything is going to be new for you anyway.

This far out, one thing to look out for is whether or not there are any sit-down restaurants you want to visit during your trip.  A lot of those are hard to get in to without a reservation, and you can make reservations six months out.  If that isn't important to you, then no need to worry about it.  Also, a travel agent can be a huge help with making dining reservations.

At the 60 day mark, you will be able to make Fastpass reservations.  That's if you already have park tickets.  Again, a travel agent can help with that.

Other that those two things. I wouldn't worry too much about planning.  Just go and have fun and do what you want. What you don't get done on this trip will be there for you to do the next time.

TCD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blueangel said:

Thanks Miss. Carol for the pointers / information.

Thanks TCD for the confidence builder. It's 8 months away and  I guess I'm just a little apprehensive or maybe just looking forward to it. The last time I was at WDW I was only 8 or 9, now I'm 53.

Camping has been such a blessing for us to just get away. Usually all we do is walk the parks we visit and meet folks. I think this is the first trip where we actually are planning activities. If Ya'll are around in Mid Oct and see a fat man, with a gorgeous woman, pushing a wheelchair, please give us a shout we would love to meet cha.

camping all.JPG

Welcome. 

You have a beautiful family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well unfortunately we were not able to attend Disney last fall. We did however make the trip last week. Thanks you fort friends your advice and suggestions were spot on. My biggest concern was to find a suitable site for my Toy hauler. They set me up on site 526 which worked perfectly. It was a little tight getting in but all in all it worked perfect. Again thanks everyone for everything. I think Christy enjoyed the experience and Disney really went out of their way to make everything as accessible as possible. No it's not perfect but they make a gallant attempt to help in everyway. Cya real soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, blueangel said:

Well unfortunately we were not able to attend Disney last fall. We did however make the trip last week. Thanks you fort friends your advice and suggestions were spot on. My biggest concern was to find a suitable site for my Toy hauler. They set me up on site 526 which worked perfectly. It was a little tight getting in but all in all it worked perfect. Again thanks everyone for everything. I think Christy enjoyed the experience and Disney really went out of their way to make everything as accessible as possible. No it's not perfect but they make a gallant attempt to help in everyway. Cya real soon

Thank you for updating us.   Happy to hear that you were finally able to make your trip; I'm sure that Christy enjoyed her time... what a special memory, for you all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×