• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everyone is missing the big chance here for Disney to up the thrill experience, I see the future in the addition of the Official Disney Bungee experience and Dessert party

http://www.wdwmagic.com/transportation/walt-disney-world-gondola-system/news/15feb2017-is-the-walt-disney-world-gondola-system-about-to-become-a-reality-.htm  

This is precisely why gondolas are a horrible idea.  Many years ago my family and I were riding this very gondola and a giant ape attacked us.  I seem to remember it being located in central Florida,

8 hours ago, Travisma said:

Tampa TV station just did a mini report about the possibility of the gondolas.  They said each car will hold 30 people with up to 200 cars on the lines. That would be amazing, 6000 people at any given moment moving around.

The local station here in Orlando (WFTV) posted a story as well.  However, due to their crack journalistic team, they added a picture of a gondola from Venice, and said Disney would be expanding their water transportation system. :lol:  I am not joking.

Bobby says the contract for the gondolas has already been awarded.   Low bidder was the same Yugoslavian company who once manufactured the Yugo.

I heard they will be making it part thrill ride.  

When the cars start to descend to the stations, they will free wheel down the cable at 60 mph and go thru a large pool of water near the end to create a beautiful Frozen like scene and to slow down.  

Fast Passes are already being booked!

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I heard they will be making it part thrill ride.  

When the cars start to descend to the stations, they will free wheel down the cable at 60 mph and go thru a large pool of water near the end to create a beautiful Frozen like scene and to slow down.  

Fast Passes are already being booked!

Will there be strobe lights making inanimate hairy beasts appear to swipe at the gondolas?

9 hours ago, Travisma said:

Tampa TV station just did a mini report about the possibility of the gondolas.  They said each car will hold 30 people with up to 200 cars on the lines. That would be amazing, 6000 people at any given moment moving around.

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

The local station here in Orlando (WFTV) posted a story as well.  However, due to their crack journalistic team, they added a picture of a gondola from Venice, and said Disney would be expanding their water transportation system. :lol:  I am not joking.

Good grief.

It's sad that main stream media now reports blog rumors as if they are facts.

200 cars on the gondola lines?  With 30 people in each car?  6000 people in motion at one time? There's no way they need to move that many people at one time on the short route which is the basis for the rumor.

And gondolas in canals like Venice?  Amazing. And sad.

TCD

2 hours ago, djsamuel said:

I'd prefer that to an overhead cable cable car. I just wonder if the gondoliers would sing or if we would be stuck listening to recordings of Dean Martin singing That's Amore?

19 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I'd prefer that to an overhead cable cable car. I just wonder if the gondoliers would sing or if we would be stuck listening to recordings of Dean Martin singing That's Amore?

They are hanging onto Frozen for dear life, so it would either be Let it Go, or maybe You're Welcome from Moana!

13 hours ago, Travisma said:

Amazing yes but at an average weight of maybe 175-200 lbs that's 1,050,000 to 1,200,000 pounds just waiting to drop when something goes wrong?

Making your next comment even more appropriate

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

They are hanging onto Frozen for dear life, so it would either be Let it Go, or maybe You're Welcome from Moana!

So I guess Let it Go would be the most appropriate song???

Sorry - it's a grey day here so I have a corresponding sense of humour!

On the gondolas at Six Flags we could divert cars onto a secondary track in the wheelhouse to load wheelchairs or if there was a protein spill... so, slow loads don't necessarily bring the whole line to a standstill.

58 minutes ago, Santa ... Shannon said:

On the gondolas at Six Flags we could divert cars onto a secondary track in the wheelhouse to load wheelchairs or if there was a protein spill... so, slow loads don't necessarily bring the whole line to a standstill.

How many people did each car hold. 

10 minutes ago, DisneyVampire said:

So after much research. The rumor is true. They will have the Gondola system running by the time the tower at the Coronado and Caribbean remodels are done.

I'm still trying to find out more information for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Are you saying that this will extend west to Coronado?

• 1 month later...

There seems to be more information now according to Insidethemagic.net

There is a new permit to expand the previous permit.  Here are the details.

New permit expands on possible aerial transportation system at Walt Disney World

IN THEME PARKS, WALT DISNEY WORLD

aerial transportation 2

As previously reported, Walt Disney World filed permits in February that may point to a new type of aerial transportation system within the park. Now, an additional permit has been filed that indicates plans to begin work on foundation and building infrastructure.

The map indicates that build sites will be near resort hotels Pop Century, Boardwalk and Boardwalk Villas, and Caribbean Beach, as well as the Hollywood Studios park.

Plans for the new transportation system seem to be similar to Skyway, the cable-system used to transport guests between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom. If the rumors are true, this new “gondola” system would provide a long-awaited expansion of the resort monorail, which currently only makes stops at resort hotels near the Magic Kingdom.

photo and article credits: insidethemagic.net