Tips for Camping with Dogs

If your dog is not used to being in the TT when you're not there, I'd strongly recommend some practice runs before you get to FW so you can figure out the best setup. You can even do this at home in the yard.

We crate our dogs in the TT, but they're very happy and comfortable in their crates and often hang out in them with the door open at home. If your dogs are happy in their crates, I'd recommend bringing them. If they're not, you might want to work on crate training before your trip.

Big reason we crate our dogs is because if we didn't, they'd be in the windows all the time barking at everything that goes by. Instead they hang in their crates with the TV on, fan or A/C for white noise, shades down and a nice stuffed Kong to keep them occupied while we're out. For our dogs, if they can't see/hear anything outside, they aren't going to bark.

The kongs keep them occupied while we slip out the door, so they don't even notice we're gone. I will either stuff them with yogurt/kibble and freeze the night before, so they essentially get their meals that way (keeps them busy for a while) or just put a smear of peanut butter and a cookie inside. Almost every time we come back to the TT they are sound asleep and the kongs are licked clean.

Works like a charm and we've never had an issue or complaint.

We have very active dogs, so we also make sure to get them out in the a.m. before we leave for the parks so they can run and get good and tired. Waggin Tails dog park works great for that (IF your dogs are very social and have good experiences with dog parks). They get play time later in the day/evening too. Both ensure they don't mind chilling in the TT in between.

When we're hanging out with them at the site, we bring tie outs and their x-pens. Remember they have to be leashed at ALL times except at the dog park, and you cannot leave them outside the MH unattended at any time.

Our dogs thrive on routine. We establish a routine at FW and within a couple of days they've got it and it's like they've lived there forever. This year will be our 3rd 3-week trip to FW with the mutts, and they really seem to enjoy it. In fact our older dog - whose been to FW the most (4 times through this past year) seems to "remember" the routine about halfway through the first day! We usually do a few practice runs before we actually leave for the parks - take a quick loop out and about, sneak back and make sure they're quiet. We leave them for about 5-6 hours and then come back for potty breaks/meals/play time, then go back out for a few more hours.

Biggest thing is to know your dogs well and don't throw anything too new at them or suddenly expect things from them that you wouldn't normally at home. Keep it easy for them, even if it means a little extra work for you. Trust me, in the end you'll be glad you did and ALL will have a terrific time.    :D

We find in closing the curtains in our TT to help stop unfortunate barking.  Tv, radio, and the A/C also help to mask outside sounds from setting off barking.

We found that 30 minutes of playing at the dog park on arrival/everyday can also help exercise the nervous/excitable energy of travel out of them.

a nice long walk before leaving them helps a lot.  we used to draw the shades and we still leave the tv on.  but, we left the shades open this trip.  we bought a no bark electronic thing that sounds like a fire alarm when they bark, it has a silent button on it so only the dogs can hear it.  they liked looking out the window and i think for the most part they behaved.  at least, until they saw US pull up in the car or the golf cart.  but, they always do that-excitement of mom and dad being home.

we did try to leave them without the bark thing plugged in and our neighbor (bob) called us and complained (j/k).  so, we had to have him go in and plug it in.  but, we asked the neighbors (that we didn't know) if they were noisy or bothering them at all-they said they were fine.  i think it worked out and the dogs got to be entertained with the outside world..

• 9 months later...

Always pay attention if you are outside with your dog! There was a dog that got loose in our loop that was not the friendliest dog! Ok, she only weighs a few pounds but still, you never know! lol Seriously, there was a huge dog that got loose and was unresponsive to it's owners calls. He could have bit Lola's head off with one tiny bite.

Really good advice, Rita! We've seen more than a few dogs "running loose" at the Fort - and they always seem to be larger dogs (no idea why). Most of them have been very good - older dogs just hanging out at their sites, not really wandering off anywhere - but every once in a while you get the exception... usually accompanied by a clueless owner who thinks their dog can do no wrong. :(

Same goes for the dog park. 99% of the dogs/owners we've encountered there have been just fine - and we were there almost every day for 3 weeks. This trip we never actually encountered any aggressive dogs, just some that were a bit snarky - not an issue for my girls since all they care about is chasing the ball.

The worst we saw this trip were the "newbies" - people who have never ever taken their dogs to a dog park before, and for some reason decide the first time should be at the Fort.

doh.gif

We try and steer clear of those as much as we can. Most of the time the dogs are fine, but some are just completely overwhelmed and don't know how to act around so many strange dogs.

Then there are the people that take their dogs into the dog park and leave them on leash.

Huh?! What exactly is the point of that??

The only thing that happens is they end up with a dog all keyed up by all the activity that's straining at the leash choking themselves because they want to go run and play with the other dogs. Nevermind that the ones on those flexi-leashes (the retractable kind) are just plain dangerous under those circumstances and I know of people that have been seriously injured by those things when they were used inappropriately in the wrong settings.

We ran into more than a few of these people - usually folks with bigger, young dogs, i.e., the ones that probably needed to run the most!

People are weird.

It's usually not the big dogs that are the problem, it's dogs like my Lola! She's flea sized, but thinks she the size of a Bull Mastiff. She will snap at other dogs. Even when I try to tell people as I walk her on the leash, they still want to think she won't snap at their dog because they are so loveable. Trust me, she will. People and kids are never a problem for her, but she wants to show the world that she is the boss of all dogs!

My dogs are very territorial. If you come for a visit they let you know that you are on their turf.Once I tell them you are ok they settle right down, With all that said however, it's a good idea that you don't make contact with them until I hand them to you. None of the six has ever bitten anybody and I'd like to keep it that way.

If they decide they like you, you will receive all the loving a little Chihuahua has contained in their pint size body. :heart:

I agree that the littler dogs tend to have the biggest attitudes. :)

Luckily my dogs will generally ignore them no matter how "forward" they are. Even Brady and Lyn and Brady has issues with meeting strange dogs while Lyn has issues with "rude" dogs. I think sometimes that they don't even realize they're dogs! :rofl2:

Funniest dog we met at the dog park was a small pekinese type that was playing "troll under the picnic table"

Every time Bz or Lyn would race by, s/he would shoot out from under the picnic table and give them a BARKBARKBARK and then retreat when they didn't react.

That's the best part about my crazy herding dogs at the dog park - all they care about is chasing the ball. They don't even acknowledge there are other dogs there, even when they're trying to keep up with them or when the wee ones are jumping all over Lyn when she lies down for a short break (she's a tiny dog magnet for some reason).

But the other side of that is how my dogs rocketing into the park changes the entire dynamic and energy level of the place.

We'll walk up and see a bunch of people just standing around with their dogs not doing much of anything.

Then my 2 lunatics explode through the gate and all hell breaks loose!

I guarantee some of those dogs that decided it would be fun to chase mine haven't run that much in years. :)

I agree that the littler dogs tend to have the biggest attitudes. :)

Luckily my dogs will generally ignore them no matter how "forward" they are. Even Brady and Lyn and Brady has issues with meeting strange dogs while Lyn has issues with "rude" dogs. I think sometimes that they don't even realize they're dogs! :rofl2:

Funniest dog we met at the dog park was a small pekinese type that was playing "troll under the picnic table"

Every time Bz or Lyn would race by, s/he would shoot out from under the picnic table and give them a BARKBARKBARK and then retreat when they didn't react.

That's the best part about my crazy herding dogs at the dog park - all they care about is chasing the ball. They don't even acknowledge there are other dogs there, even when they're trying to keep up with them or when the wee ones are jumping all over Lyn when she lies down for a short break (she's a tiny dog magnet for some reason).

But the other side of that is how my dogs rocketing into the park changes the entire dynamic and energy level of the place.

We'll walk up and see a bunch of people just standing around with their dogs not doing much of anything.

Then my 2 lunatics explode through the gate and all hell breaks loose!

I guarantee some of those dogs that decided it would be fun to chase mine haven't run that much in years. :)

That was one of the things I really wanted to do, was watch your dogs play in the dog park!!! I bet it is a HOOT to watch!!!

Have only taken Minnie and Mickey to the dog park a few times, and no other dogs were there either time. They are small (Toy Fox) and have attitudes when they see other dogs from a distance, but when they get close enough to smell they seem to quiten down. I would love to see them interact with other little guys, but do not have enough faith in them to play nice and not embarrass me, as their Mom. No one really wants to play with a spoiled brat, do they ?

If they're generally good with other dogs at home and out and about, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep close tabs on them and be prepared to "grab and go" if you need to.

Also try not to get too worried beforehand. The one thing I've seen over and over is owners literally "transmitting" their own anxiety down the leash to their dogs, which just gets the dog all amped up.

Classic example is a woman who would tighten up on the leash every time she saw another dog coming because she knew her dog was reactive. Well the dog took that as a signal for "GET READY, HERE IT COMES!" and her reaction was 10x worse.

What works for our lunatics - who get all keyed up at the mere mention of the dog park - is to make sure to take their leashes off before we let them in. At the Fort they have a double gate so you can come inside one, latch it behind you, and you still have one more secure gate before they're in. This is where we unleash our dogs so that we're not yanking on their leashes while they're straining to get in. Also gives us the chance to make sure other dogs are clear of the gate before we let our guys in - good etiquette in general, but also helps for those dogs with space issues.

Treats aren't allowed in the dog park, but if they have a favorite toy you can bring that to distract them if they seem to be focusing too much on another dog.

All that said... if your dogs haven't been around many other dogs or generally aren't good with strange dogs, trying them out at the Fort (when they're already out of their home routine) probably isn't a good idea. Better to take advantage of the dog walks and keep all of your stress levels low. After all - you're on vacation! :)

The 4 Paws Kingdom Campground in NC has two seperate off leash areas. One for the big dogs and one for the little dogs.

Even as a non pet owner, I enjoyed the campground. The bathrooms were spotless and the Oktoberfest Feast was Great!!!

Only one issue. They have 4 seperate unisex bathrooms for their facilities. While normally that is great!! However, when all four are occupied with folks showering and you just need to use the restroom, it can cause some anxiety!!!

I realize normally that isn't a problem, but this was a T@B rally with 25 campers without facilities!!!!!!

I hope Disney does what all of our dog now have done. They have divided the Dog Park into 2 areas one side for big dogs the other for little ones

You say that but dogs the same size as my great dane won't usually play with him. They get intimidated by his size but you bring in Doodle ankle sniffers, whom know they are bigger than my dane, and the fun will commence.

You say that but dogs the same size as my great dane won't usually play with him. They get intimidated by his size but you bring in Doodle ankle sniffers, whom know they are bigger than my dane, and the fun will commence.

My minpin loves big dog she is so fast she can out run them and turn on a dime

That's so funny because when we were kids (back before leash laws), our neighbors wee beagle used to love to go down the street to play with the neighbor's Great Dane!

That's so funny because when we were kids (back before leash laws), our neighbors wee beagle used to love to go down the street to play with the neighbor's Great Dane!

Ah.. I vaguely remember those days of no leash laws. Has anyone noticed that dogs act more aggressive on leash than off.

It's so seldom he gets to play with anyone else ... his dog sister is old, crotchety, and arthritic so she won't play with him.

Leashes are funny things.

Brady isn't fabulous meeting new dogs but he's 1000% better if he does it OFF leash.

I think in his case it's something to do with knowing he can get far enough away if he needs to.

For some dogs it's a guarding thing --- "this human I'm attached to is MINE, you keep your paws off"

...and for others it's aforementioned "owner transmitting their own issues down that little connecting line straight to their dog"

Has anyone noticed that dogs act more aggressive on leash than off.

That is a great point I wish more people would use the leash/unleash area at the Dog Park you see more dogs coming in still leashed and they get very aggressive that same dog comes in unleashed just starts running and playing. If you don't know were the leash/ lunleash area is it is that area between the two gates

Leashes are funny things.

Brady isn't fabulous meeting new dogs but he's 1000% better if he does it OFF leash.

I think in his case it's something to do with knowing he can get far enough away if he needs to.

For some dogs it's a guarding thing --- "this human I'm attached to is MINE, you keep your paws off"

...and for others it's aforementioned "owner transmitting their own issues down that little connecting line straight to their dog"

I have noticed that mine are more relaxed off leash as are most dogs. You take them into a dog park off leash and things are so much more relaxed. You meet the same dogs on leash and it could go an entirely different way.

Gradually mine are learning to ignore most things but Drake doesn't like the leash lungers. I think he thinks they are out to get his family so he barks right back at them.