I-75 Express Lanes, South of Atlanta

So... DOT just opened up Express lanes South of the city.  We took advantage of these lanes on our last camping trip to Florida and it was awesome!  Flew by the stand-by traffic.  Worth the few dollars it cost (which you pay, irregardless if your vehicle is set up as an exempt HOV vehicle with your Peach Pass).  

Well, turns out campers are NOT allowed on this road.  No matter if you have the Peach Pass, or reciprocal FL/NC pre-paid passes or not.  The rules for this express lane state that the vehicle (including anything you're towing) may have no more than two axles or six wheels total.   Tom noticed a sign yesterday on his drive down to a diesel mechanic and I emailed GA DOT to confirm.  We did not see this sign when we drove through them a month or two ago however, the lanes had just opened so maybe they added the signs after our drive.

Dang it.  I can understand trying to keep semi-trucks off the express lanes...but RVs?  That's frustrating :angry:  Sigh....

I hate to say it, and I'm not talking about any of the Fiends, but I think keeping RV's out of those express lanes is a good idea.  There are too many ding-dongs driving motorhomes and towing trailers that have no business being on the road- especially in Florida.  I wish they'd ban RV's from the left lane on I-4 like they do trucks.

TCD

I saw those lanes last Sunday, and not fully understanding what was allowed I did not get in them.  However, one minute after passing the last access point and seeing the sign indicating I'd have been allowed, traffic backed up from construction and I wish I had taken it.  We have a Sun Pass so could have used the lanes, and as we were in our MH but not pulling a toad, we have 2 axles and 6 wheels so by my interpretation would have been allowed.  Considering the Express Lanes have 2 travel lanes, I'd feel comfortable using them as people would still be able to pass me if I was going slower than they would like to travel.  

On 3/30/2017 at 11:09 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

I hate to say it, and I'm not talking about any of the Fiends, but I think keeping RV's out of those express lanes is a good idea.  There are too many ding-dongs driving motorhomes and towing trailers that have no business being on the road- especially in Florida.  I wish they'd ban RV's from the left lane on I-4 like they do trucks.

TCD

I can see your point, a little... ;)

The fact is, 60% of drivers in Atlanta shouldn't be allowed on the road and (comparatively) RVs are not the issue on 75.

On 3/30/2017 at 11:39 AM, DaveInTN said:

I saw those lanes last Sunday, and not fully understanding what was allowed I did not get in them.  However, one minute after passing the last access point and seeing the sign indicating I'd have been allowed, traffic backed up from construction and I wish I had taken it.  We have a Sun Pass so could have used the lanes, and as we were in our MH but not pulling a toad, we have 2 axles and 6 wheels so by my interpretation would have been allowed.  Considering the Express Lanes have 2 travel lanes, I'd feel comfortable using them as people would still be able to pass me if I was going slower than they would like to travel.  

That's how I understand it, yes.  They did not list weight, private vs commercial...etc.  Just the 2 axles/6 wheel limit.  Here's a copy/paste:

Motorcycles, electric vehicles and vehicles with no more than two axles or up to six wheels may use the express lanes with a valid Peach Pass or a pre-paid toll account in Florida or North Carolina.

Reading that however... I wonder if you could pull a single axle camper with a SRW truck.  They use the word OR... two axles OR up to six wheels.  Hmmm  :huh:   Either way, it still wouldn't apply to us so... 

3 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Motorcycles, electric vehicles and vehicles with no more than two axles or up to six wheels may use the express lanes with a valid Peach Pass or a pre-paid toll account in Florida or North Carolina.

If my tow Truck meets the 2 axles or up to six wheels requirement I'd travel in those lanes with a trailer.  If they don't say no trailers its fair game.

46 minutes ago, bdm said:

If my tow Truck meets the 2 axles or up to six wheels requirement I'd travel in those lanes with a trailer.  If they don't say no trailers its fair game.

I emailed them... they said no to our 5th wheel.  Maybe I shouldn't have emailed :rolleyes:

56 minutes ago, bdm said:

That's the same way I have always interpreted those signs. To me it says cars trucks and Duallys are okay but big rigs are a No-No

Well, kaflooey, I was really hoping to use those lanes if needed. Even though, technically, I'm at 6 wheels, I have 3 axles pulling my trailer. Although, the way we normally time our trips going through Atlanta after 7:30 pm, we have little to no trouble going through.

Now the Northern part of Atlanta is another story altogether. Everytime I have to go through there, or on the loop, it's always at a crawl.

Well, kaflooey, I was really hoping to use those lanes if needed. Even though, technically, I'm at 6 wheels, I have 3 axles pulling my trailer. Although, the way we normally time our trips going through Atlanta after 7:30 pm, we have little to no trouble going through.

Now the Northern part of Atlanta is another story altogether. Everytime I have to go through there, or on the loop, it's always at a crawl.

Those northwest corridor elevated lanes they are building along 75 will be very nice.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

38 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Those northwest corridor elevated lanes they are building along 75 will be very nice.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

Similar set-up (I think) as I75 south so... wonder if the rules will be the same.

7 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I still wonder if you'd be okay as is does say OR up to six wheels and not AND up to six wheels.

20 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I emailed them... they said no to our 5th wheel.  Maybe I shouldn't have emailed :rolleyes:

Sometimes it better to seek forgiveness than ask permission...

20 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

That's the same way I have always interpreted those signs. To me it says cars trucks and Duallys are okay but big rigs are a No-No

I just figure most cops arn't going to mess with a traveling family as long as your not doing anything stupid or holding up traffic. 

13 hours ago, bdm said:

Sometimes it better to seek forgiveness than ask permission...

I just figure most cops arn't going to mess with a traveling family as long as your not doing anything stupid or holding up traffic. 

Agree on both points ^_^

• 3 years later...

Someone pointed out on another site that the definition of a vehicle is that it must be able to propell itself independently. Therefore, a fifth wheel or travel trailer is not a vehicle, and as such should legally be allowed. That being said, GDOT does what it wants to do and interprets the "rules" as they see fit. Keep in mind there is still no statute/law regarding this issue to back up the punitive damages GDOT imposes if they catch you. I also saw an old post pertaining to I-85 where a user was able to purchase a transponder for their trailer and mount it on their truck dashboard. Interesting...