• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disclaimer, none of the photos used in this post were taken by me. Ahh, the famous or more correctly, infamous utilidors or tunnels. The concept although unique and good for having tours is in some wa

These are pools and other landmarks that may not be apparent at eye level. Computer keyboard & monitor at Pop Century Guitar at All Star Music Baseball diamond at All Star Sports Piano at All Star

More people ride Spaceship Earth every year than any other attraction in Walt Disney World. In fact, it is the most popular theme park attraction in the entire world, with more riders every year than any other ride in any other park, anywhere.

I know we do our share to keep this stat up. Pretty much any time we walk by and there's little/no wait, we ride it.

Not sure why really, but I just enjoy it. I like to try and notice new details each time.

Gotta say I'm not a huge fan of the "star field" (or whatever that bizarro backwards part is now) but I actually do enjoy the interactive story part.

I think I know this one. All of the waiters and waitresses are either named Victoria or Albert. Not sure if that is their real names, but I'm sure that's what Disney wants us to believe.

You are correct. One of Victoria & Alberts unique features is that all the servers wear name tags that read either "Victoria" or "Albert," after England's Queen Victoria and her husband, Prince Albert.

No, it's not their real names.

V&As has only 18 tables and is the ultimate dining experience at WDW. It's the only restaurant in Central Florida to have earned the AAA Five Diamond Award.

Anyone know why I would post these name tags? There is a story behind them. If you've been to Victoria & Alberts, you might know.

NameTag3.jpg

When we went to Victoria and Albert's, I said, "Prince Edward is here to see the Queen", when I checked in :rofl2:

Size does matter.

The Tower of Terror is exactly 199 feet high. If it was built to be 200 feet or more, it would require a beacon to warn airplanes. Disney felt that a beacon would detract from the attraction and decided to keep it at 199 feet to avoid putting a flashing light on top.

TOT.jpg

If you ever get the urge to dive into the lagoon at the Fantasmic show, don't.

Isn't it odd how Steamboat Willie with 50 characters dancing & jumping around is so stable?

Why is the water green?

Fantasmic.jpg

steamboat.jpg

OK, I'm guessting it's only a couple feet deep, the boat actually rolls on the bottom on a track?? Now the other question is does that footbridge in the back raise up, or do they move the boat back around to the other side before each show??

OK, I'm guessting it's only a couple feet deep, the boat actually rolls on the bottom on a track?? Now the other question is does that footbridge in the back raise up, or do they move the boat back around to the other side before each show??

It's about 18" deep. The green color is algae that they purposely let grow so that you can't see how shallow it really is. If you look at a satellite view, you can see the guide rail.

Don't know if that's a draw bridge though, good question. It might be because the photos I've seen show the boat in the same location, so I'm thinking that's the starting position. Wonder if I have access to that area?

It can't be the starting position cause the front of the boat is up against that bridge. The boat always comes around from the right.

Maybe I misunderstood your question about the footbridge. If the footbridge some how moves out of the way wouldn't the boat be in the starting position in order make the loop from the right?

It's about 18" deep. The green color is algae that they purposely let grow so that you can't see how shallow it really is. If you look at a satellite view, you can see the guide rail.

Don't know if that's a draw bridge though, good question. It might be because the photos I've seen show the boat in the same location, so I'm thinking that's the starting position. Wonder if I have access to that area?

That was one of the areas that they used to take you to on the Back Stage Magic tour. For the life of me I can't remember anything except the rehearsal studio and cigarete butts all over the place. That was pre 9/11 though so I guess I can be forgiven. They also didn't allow photography on that tour. Post 9/11 they took away some of the more sensitive areas and let you take pictures in certain areas :unsure:

Maybe I misunderstood your question about the footbridge. If the footbridge some how moves out of the way wouldn't the boat be in the starting position in order make the loop from the right?

You are right, that can be the starting position ONLY if the footbridge moves.

You are right, that can be the starting position ONLY if the footbridge moves.

They recently announced that DHS will become the 5th bus hub. It's currently a bus moocher. Except for a few, all other buses in and out of DHS come from other hubs via a resort. So that means that on days when I'm working out of the DHS hub, I'll be clocking-in and taking lunch breaks there as well, which means I'll have the opportunity to go snooping around backstage. Finding out if that bridge moves out of the way will be my first task.

Disclaimer, none of the photos used in this post were taken by me.

Ahh, the famous or more correctly, infamous utilidors or tunnels. The concept although unique and good for having tours is in some ways a failure and was never used at any WDW park again. Walt's desire to keep supplies and CMs going to their work stations out of guest's sight hasn't turned out to be very practical. The construction costs and day to day operations using the design is inferior to the concept used at all of the other parks, a simple perimeter road.

There are cafeterias, locker rooms, rest rooms, offices, wardrobe, supplies, CM hair saloon, and of course, CM access to the attractions.

Below is an overlay of the tunnel system over MK park.

Ut4.jpg

#1 is the main entrance to the tunnel system. That's ground level, therefore, the tunnels are not tunnels. Magic Kindom park is built on the second level.

Some of the soil dug out to make Seven Seas Lagoon was used to back fill around the tunnels.

# 2 is the castle

#3 is the north end of Main Street USA

Ut2.jpg

This is a view of a typical tunnel. Who's that walking down the tunnel?

Ut1.jpg

Yup been there too started at the Utilodor entrance and made our to an exit somewhere near the the railroad platform. When we were there we were taken into the computer room, a big no no now, and watched the set up for the afternoon parade. Can you imagine a dozen people wandering around the computer room. The only thing we were told when we entered was please don't touch anything. really it was such a loosely run tour that I could have touched anything I wanted too.

Yup been there too started at the Utilodor entrance and made our to an exit somewhere near the the railroad platform. When we were there we were taken into the computer room, a big no no now, and watched the set up for the afternoon parade. Can you imagine a dozen people wandering around the computer room. The only thing we were told when we entered was please don't touch anything. really it was such a loosely run tour that I could have touched anything I wanted too.

They didn't know what a risk it was asking you "not to touch anything!" They would have had an a personal security man assigned to you! :rofl2:

They didn't know what a risk it was asking you "not to touch anything!" They would have had an a personal security man assigned to you! :rofl2:

I know, the fools :rofl2: It really was an awesome tour back in the day. We took the tour again a couple of years later and they had really restricted what we saw. We even had security come onto the bus at one point to check our identification. We were told in advance that this would happen.