New 43ft 5er owner loop suggestion?

Hello to all,  we are upgrading from a trailer to a big 5th wheel. What would be a good premium loop to request? Just kids with us so no requirement for a pet loop. We will rent a golf cart as well.  We are total newbies to 5th wheels. We did go to the fort  once in a 31ft travel trailer.  

Thanks for any suggestions 

Welcome!

43'?

Wow, that's a long trailer.

If you have a golf cart, then you can really enjoy any of the premium loops.  It seems like a lot of folks with big 5th wheels end up in the 700 loop.  That would be a good one for you.  There are some really long sites on the outside of the 500 loop.  Those would be good for you too.  But, there are sites deep enough on every premium loop to accommodate you.

The most important thing is for you to make sure the length of your 5th wheel is noted on your reservation, and that you are looking for a really deep site.

Enjoy!

TCD

23 hours ago, berger said:

Hello to all,  we are upgrading from a trailer to a big 5th wheel. What would be a good premium loop to request? Just kids with us so no requirement for a pet loop. We will rent a golf cart as well.  We are total newbies to 5th wheels. We did go to the fort  once in a 31ft travel trailer.  

Thanks for any suggestions 

Just wanted to say welcome!

23 hours ago, berger said:

Hello to all,  we are upgrading from a trailer to a big 5th wheel. What would be a good premium loop to request? 

Premium loops are great, and generally the sites are easier to get into.  But there are good and bad sites, even on premiums. 

11 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It seems like a lot of folks with big 5th wheels end up in the 700 loop.  That would be a good one for you. 

We prefer the 700 loop, but not in the middle of the loop.  The best sites and the easiest ones to get into are on either end of the loop.

3 hours ago, Dogdiver said:

Try to get only sites you back into on the drivers side and NOT the blind passenger side. It's a big learning curve with a 5er.

Great advice!  And welcome!

Oh man, how could you ever survive in such a big camper?! I mean, my 42' fifth wheel is about as big as I want to go. (sarcasm- I'd consider up to 44').

We've stayed on 600, 800, and 1300. 1326 was probably the biggest site I've been on. Great angle for backing in. Even 600 wasn't bad- my wife was mute from a recent surgery and we were able to do it via translations from my then 12-year old daughter. 800 were a little tight and came down to lack of vehicles in the way; but we just did it in the dark (which is a huge rarity for us).

We have friends who love the 400 loop.

Basically, take what you get- see how it looks when you pull up to it. And worst case, bail out and ask for a new site. Biggest thing is- don't get angry, that's no way to start a trip! :)

Otherwise, don't know if this will help:

http://learntorv.com/tips-and-tricks-to-backing-up/

Thanks for all the advice/ welcomes!, well we picked up the beast and parked at home last Thursday.  It wasn't the most graceful park job but we Backed it into  its spot. It does react much slower than the TT.  I'm sure we will provide some entertainment when we go to the fort! It's ok for sure,we are new and I don't get frazzled.  So pull up a chair and  pop a beer or two and watch the show?.

Cheers,

Ed

• 2 months later...

Well we are bac from the fort?. We were in site 1204. It was a great site and loop. I did struggle to get into the site and did provide entertainment for some folks who were watching.  Should have pulled forward and started over instead of trying to fix a bad approach.  When those folks left, I laughed a bit on how they struggled to get hitched up and yes I did crack a beer or two. (karma).   

Cheers,

Ed

• 2 months later...

Berger, we pull a 40' Crossroads Seville & been to the Fort a couple of times with it. One trick we use is to call each other on the cell and use that as an intercom.

Not sure where you're pulling in from but we always avoid Atlanta. We're coming down from Indiana & come down I-65 & then cross country to Orlando.

The suggestion of using the outside sites on the end of the loops is a good one. We've parked on the end and in the inside middle. If there is a truck parked there, it does get interesting. The biggest thing I've seen in there is a 46' motor home & a 46' toy hauler on a Ford 450 crew cab long bed (that one was nasty to back in).

Enjoy that rig. It's definitely going to be different than your old camper. I think the 5th wheel pulls so much better.

I guess I'm different than most. We started with a pop up and wanted bigger. Then bigger and finally bigger at a 34ft TT toyhauler. Then all we wanted was smaller and ended up with a 22 ft TT toyhauler.  Now with that gone, if get into another unit it will be a used pop up that I have minimal money into. IMHO the big guys are a home on wheels and is a perfect choice for many. I have no clue how you all get those things in the fort sites...lol

On 9/20/2017 at 7:04 PM, WoodcarvingGypsy said:

Berger, we pull a 40' Crossroads Seville & been to the Fort a couple of times with it. One trick we use is to call each other on the cell and use that as an intercom.

Not sure where you're pulling in from but we always avoid Atlanta. We're coming down from Indiana & come down I-65 & then cross country to Orlando.

The suggestion of using the outside sites on the end of the loops is a good one. We've parked on the end and in the inside middle. If there is a truck parked there, it does get interesting. The biggest thing I've seen in there is a 46' motor home & a 46' toy hauler on a Ford 450 crew cab long bed (that one was nasty to back in).

Enjoy that rig. It's definitely going to be different than your old camper. I think the 5th wheel pulls so much better.

Can I ask about your decision to go all the way down I65?  I’ve heard others say the same thing, but from what I can tell, it adds some 90 miles, or so, to the trip. Do you really find Atlanta so bad that you would guarantee an extra 1.5-2 hours by going that route instead?

• 3 months later...

Some but not all the outside sites in 1200 had a straighter approach.  The 5er pulls way better down the road but I have to get use to backing up. We loved the site once I got the rig in.  I don't get frustrated easily and I never yell at the DW because of my own inability and stupidity when parking?

On 9/23/2017 at 10:23 PM, mickeyfan0805 said:

Can I ask about your decision to go all the way down I65?  I’ve heard others say the same thing, but from what I can tell, it adds some 90 miles, or so, to the trip. Do you really find Atlanta so bad that you would guarantee an extra 1.5-2 hours by going that route instead?

Agreed!, we always cut over to I-75 on I-20 and go straight through downtown Atlanta. We try to time the trip through after 7pm, so no issues.