3 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Do you have a large grab bar outside?  If so, reach through your screen door and close the grab bar (so it's over the screen door).  This way, he won't be able to push open the screen door and fall down the stairs.

Great idea. Simple and doesn't cost a dime. 

On 4/8/2017 at 7:34 AM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Do you have a large grab bar outside?  If so, reach through your screen door and close the grab bar (so it's over the screen door).  This way, he won't be able to push open the screen door and fall down the stairs.

We did this for my son. Worked a treat.

We also found that my son could push the screen out. We put a piece of Plexiglass into the door so that the load was spread out.

We put one of those screen door savers on the bottom of our screen door in the camper to keep our 2 year old from falling through the screen door.  We put a simple velcro tab like lock on the plastic slider that covers the screen door latch so he cant open it and get to the latch.  

On a side note, make sure to take the door keys out with you when you sit by the camp fire at night and they are asleep in the camper.  My son got up and locked the door then went to the bathroom flushed the toilet.  I had to knock on the door to get him to unlock it...

When we are outside and hes sleeping we use the folding grab handle to "lock him in".

10 hours ago, bdm said:

We put one of those screen door savers on the bottom of our screen door in the camper to keep our 2 year old from falling through the screen door.  We put a simple velcro tab like lock on the plastic slider that covers the screen door latch so he cant open it and get to the latch.  

On a side note, make sure to take the door keys out with you when you sit by the camp fire at night and they are asleep in the camper.  My son got up and locked the door then went to the bathroom flushed the toilet.  I had to knock on the door to get him to unlock it...

When we are outside and hes sleeping we use the folding grab handle to "lock him in".

They sell those screen door savers at Home Depot, they are in the pet section near the heavy duty pet screening that we also used. the metal saver was easy to install and worked great.

We put a hook and eye on the upper part of the screen door that was out of our son's reach at the time. And I put on a door-return spring to keep the screen closed (little kids NEVER close the door behind them... :lol: ) as well as a straight grab bar that goes on the inside of the screen door.

We used a wooden child gate (10 dollars at Walmart) to wedge in front of the stairwell when he was very small.  We would always know where his lost balls and toy trucks were.... at the bottom of the inside steps.... where they would wait for an unsuspecting adult to step on them... LOL

I also filed down the sharp edge of the lower corner of the screen door and put some electric tape over it so no eyes were poked out when he was coming up the stairs. And also got one of those straps for the screen door that hang down and allow kids to open them from the outside.