New sound footage of the Fort from 1976 including the FW Railroad

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:40 PM, ImDownWithDisney said:

That hippie dancing scene that starts at 13:00 is absurd. Damn hippies.  

Wow.  I never watched the video all the way to the end.  That dance sequence is amazing.  That hippie had no respect for anything- dancing on roofs and such.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:07 PM, bhall said:

Here is that hippy now, looking faaaabulous.....

fabulous.jpg

Proof that some soap and a haircut is what hippies need.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, Travisma said:

On the Disney video, did you notice the sign on the MK? dock that said Treasure Island Launch?

I didn't notice that sign.  I even re-watched the video to look for it, and still didn't spot it.

But, that explains why there were pirate flags flying on the small water launches.  Treasure Island was the predecessor to Discovery Island.

I also noticed all of the gas cans for the rental boats piled on the dock.  That doesn't look like a particularly good idea.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow.  I never watched the video all the way to the end.  That dance sequence is amazing.  That hippie had no respect for anything- dancing on roofs and such.

Proof that some soap and a haircut is what hippies need.

I didn't notice that sign.  I even re-watched the video to look for it, and still didn't spot it.

But, that explains why there were pirate flags flying on the small water launches.  Treasure Island was the predecessor to Discovery Island.

I also noticed all of the gas cans for the rental boats piled on the dock.  That doesn't look like a particularly good idea.

TCD

Just push them in the lake if there's a fire!  Ecology wasnt a big thing back then, whats a little flaming gas slick among friends?

That video was part one of 4.  I guess it was an hour long World of Disney chopped up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2017 at 9:31 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'll bite- what is the fabled Roy's Cabin?

TCD

http://www.retrodisneyworld.com/podcast/roy-s-cabin-from-1947-to-1973-watch-it-change-over-the-years

If you don't know what Roy's Cabin is, then you haven't been listening to Todd, JT, How and Brian on the Retro Disney World Podcast! What started out as a comment by Brian has become a reoccurring point of laughter, mystery, history and research...and it gets a purposeful mention each episode. In "Camping Cabins and Coonskins" we dive deeper into the legend surrounding Roy's Cabin...

To compliment this latest discussion, Todd was able to morph nearly 3 decades of aerial photograph to show the original location of the fishing lodge. The second image, from a Walt Disney World brochure, is the only known official acknowledgement of the cabin.

Be sure to listen to Episode #3 - Camping Cabins and Coonskins to learn more about Walt's Cabin...and Roy's Cabin..

19 hours ago, Travisma said:

http://www.retrodisneyworld.com/podcast/roy-s-cabin-from-1947-to-1973-watch-it-change-over-the-years

If you don't know what Roy's Cabin is, then you haven't been listening to Todd, JT, How and Brian on the Retro Disney World Podcast! What started out as a comment by Brian has become a reoccurring point of laughter, mystery, history and research...and it gets a purposeful mention each episode. In "Camping Cabins and Coonskins" we dive deeper into the legend surrounding Roy's Cabin...

To compliment this latest discussion, Todd was able to morph nearly 3 decades of aerial photograph to show the original location of the fishing lodge. The second image, from a Walt Disney World brochure, is the only known official acknowledgement of the cabin.

Be sure to listen to Episode #3 - Camping Cabins and Coonskins to learn more about Walt's Cabin...and Roy's Cabin..

Did you listen to that podcast?

Oy- three guys going on and on for over an hour, and only one of them ever camped at the Fort.  And at least half of what he said was inaccurate. And that is being kind.

There was maybe two minutes of discussion about "Roy's" cabin, and that was just uneducated guesses.

1/10.  Do not recommend.

TCD

25 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Did you listen to that podcast?

Oy- three guys going on and on for over an hour, and only one of them ever camped at the Fort.  And at least half of what he said was inaccurate. And that is being kind.

There was maybe two minutes of discussion about "Roy's" cabin, and that was just uneducated guesses.

1/10.  Do not recommend.

TCD

No, I didn't have a chance to listen... those darn work computers and their rules about having fun.

11 minutes ago, Travisma said:

No, I didn't have a chance to listen... those darn work computers and their rules about having fun.

Well, I don't recommend it, but I would be interested to hear what you think about it, since I know that you actually visited the Fort back in the day.

These guys were all asking each other very basic questions like whether there was a pool at the Fort when it opened, and whether the Meadows (always with an "s") Trading Post was there on opening day.  And none of them knew the answers.  The so-called expert had allegedly researched things for the podcast, but he was no help.

The "expert" had his facts all mixed up. Like how he told the other two about the wood rental cabin that was there on opening day, and could be rented for $15 a night.  That is only one example of many.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with the FW episode. In our defense, it was only episode #3, and since then we've worked very hard to improve our research and correct any mis-steps in subsequent episodes. Back then we didn't even have good recording equipment and really had no idea on how to put a show together. We now do much more preparation, research and notes ahead of time. We know many of you are experts on the Fort, and in the future we'll revisit the fort with a more well prepared episode.  We always welcome constructive feedback, it only helps us get better.

Feel free to email us any time at: [email protected]

I hope you'll give one of our more recent episodes a listen, the 20k, Living Seas and Spaceship Earth are my personal favorites. :)

Thanks!

Todd