If you don't live in Florida, you may not be aware of the fact that we have had historic low rainfall this spring.  This has led to extremely dry conditions, and hundreds of wildfires.  Rain is still not in the forecast.

When I checked in to the Fort on Friday, April 14th, the CM who checked me in informed me that the management had issued a total fire ban for the Fort, which included the charcoal grills at the campsites.  I had never heard of such a thing, and thought the CM must be mistaken.

But, there was a letter from the Fort manager in my check-in material that said there was a total fire ban in effect:

4%2014%2017%20226_zps9zzkqc9j.jpg

And these notices were posted on all Comfort Station doors:

4%2014%2017%20433_zpsmfm4xhcs.jpg

So what the CM said was true.  No campfires at all.  No charcoal grills.

Nuts.

What about the campers, like me, who had brought items to grill and did not bring a propane grill?

The management was proactive in solving that issue.

They set up community grilling stations. 

In classic Fort management style, there was no communication to guests about these community grilling stations.  We found them on our own.  The first one we found was on the 1500 loop:

4%2014%2017%20231_zpslzfa9zwi.jpg

Check out the community grill:

4%2014%2017%20232_zps0pctyjsv.jpg

That's a Weber Genesis II grill:

4%2014%2017%20233_zpsc0iompda.jpg

It was brand new-never used:

4%2014%2017%20234_zpsgqyc0z58.jpg

Before you get any ideas:

4%2014%2017%20235_zpspdx1xovz.jpg

In case you don't know.  Weber grills are a premium brand.  I think this is the same grill:

weber%20grill_zpsyxxnftpm.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Genesis-II-E-610-6-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-63010001/300159343

Wow.

And you wonder why the rates for Fort sites are so high?

There was also a community grilling area set up at the Meadow(s) Pool:

4%2014%2017%20236_zps2vtamv3n.jpg

They had four grills set up by the Freeloader Pavilion.  They actually removed the charcoal grills, since freeloaders would probably have still tried to use those:

4%2014%2017%20238_zps7le708pn.jpg

The freeloaders looked happy:

4%2014%2017%20239_zpsrteqawkv.jpg

There was also a community grill set up on the 2000 loop:

4%2014%2017%20247_zpsenigrvoy.jpg

In addition, I saw a white Fort truck driving around with other grills loaded in the back.  I noticed quite a few campsites that had new Weber grills on them.  I don't know what was going on with that, but nobody brought me a grill.

When we were coming back from the MK on Saturday afternoon, the boat pilot told everyone on the boat that the Chip and Dale campfires were cancelled until further notice.  Wow.  I didn't get a chance to check on that Saturday night, but I did stop by there on Sunday morning.  What the boat pilot said wasn't exactly accurate:

4%2014%2017%20277_zpsqenecgaw.jpg

campfire%20sign_zpscapbiscb.jpg

So, the sing-a-long and movie are still going on- just without the actual fires.

We stopped by to see what was going on Sunday night, and they were doing things like usual, complete with chipmunks, just no fires:

4%2014%2017%20358_zps9puzvcxc.jpg

Hopefully, we will get some rain, and these measures will only be temporary.

But, if you're planning to visit the Fort during this dry spell, plan accordingly.

TCD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really think all of you are missing the new latest Disney upcharge coming, they will supply this grill at your site for a charge to justify upping the site cost another $50. Think I am crazy KOA and

Maybe they drug them down to the Settlement store and shoved them behind it with the rotting away covered wagon.

They will be used for the new dining option at Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Called "Make Your Own Magic", guests, for an additional charge of only $37 per person, can actually discover the magic of cooking

I'm impressed by the Fort's response to the situation. Sad there's not better communication, but looks like they hit a home run with trying to make do.

I'm over at the Contemporary and there was a note in the room about the burn ban and all Disney camp fires are cancelled. I can see why the boat captain said what he did based on how the wording was. I'll snap a picture later today.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Someone on a FB site said the same thing TCD did about not having anything other than charcoal with them.  They went to Wal-Mart in Kissimmee, and found a floor model Blackstone table top griddle for $60 instead of $100.  Those things are nice!

I was looking at that same Blackstone griddle.  I'm going to head over to Walmart after work to check it out.

8 minutes ago, rcarpe06 said:

I was looking at that same Blackstone griddle.  I'm going to head over to Walmart after work to check it out.

They got a display, so that was the reason for the cheaper cost.

We have one of their pizza ovens.  It works great, only problem is that pizzas aren't very carb friendly  :angry:

3 hours ago, Memphis said:

Wow,   They must have gotten a great deal on those grills.  Surprise they did anything but dumbfounded they use such a great Grill.  I guarantee one of those bad boys will go missing. 

Lol.  That's what I was thinking.  I'm sure at least one ended up in the back of someone's truck. 

3 hours ago, Memphis said:

Wow,   They must have gotten a great deal on those grills.  Surprise they did anything but dumbfounded they use such a great Grill.  I guarantee one of those bad boys will go missing. 

Yeah.  Especially when someone figures out that the grills in the coquina pads are not anchored by anything, and the poles can be easily pulled straight out.  LOL.

3 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

I'm impressed by the Fort's response to the situation. Sad there's not better communication, but looks like they hit a home run with trying to make do.

I'm over at the Contemporary and there was a note in the room about the burn ban and all Disney camp fires are cancelled. I can see why the boat captain said what he did based on how the wording was. I'll snap a picture later today.

The response is definitely more than I expected, but, as always, they did a terrible job communicating with guests.  How hard would it be to include information about the Chip and Dale campfire and Community Grilling Areas on the notices posted on the Comfort Stations?

2 hours ago, rcarpe06 said:

Thanks for the info!  Sorry you didn't receive notice to make other arrangements.  We are arriving next Friday and I always cook with my charcoal grill.  Time to look at propane alternatives.

I have owned several small propane grills that I use for tailgating at football games.  They are cheap- in the $30 range, and they work great.  I just didn't know about the charcoal ban, so I didn't bring my propane grill.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Someone on a FB site said the same thing TCD did about not having anything other than charcoal with them.  They went to Wal-Mart in Kissimmee, and found a floor model Blackstone table top griddle for $60 instead of $100.  Those things are nice!

I only was going to grill one night.  I was fine preparing my other meals.  It was not a big problem for me.  I would have liked to know ahead of time, though.

TCD

If anyone needs a small portable gas grill I would recommend this one from Sam's club. It's stainless steel and uses the small propane bottles. But it put cooks well. And it's only $99. 

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/portable-stainless-steel-gas-grill-with-cover/prod2500002

35 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

If anyone needs a small portable gas grill I would recommend this one from Sam's club. It's stainless steel and uses the small propane bottles. But it put cooks well. And it's only $99. 

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/portable-stainless-steel-gas-grill-with-cover/prod2500002

That's a lot nicer than any portable grill I've ever owned.  I've had a couple of these $30 grills over the years, and they get the job done:

http://www.target.com/p/char-broil-174-gas-tabletop-grill/-/A-12802282?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Patio+Garden+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Patio+Garden&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9012383&gclid=COa49pXWs9MCFY06gQod8LcE0Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

5 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

Are they still doing the fireworks shows? Anyone know about the luau over at the Poly? Doesnt that show involve some lit torches n stuff?

Yes, there are still fireworks, and the dragon was breathing fire in FOF.  I don't know about the torches at the Polynesian, but I'll bet those are still in use.

TCD

10 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

duh. If people knew there was an available grilling alternative they wouldn't buy food in Disney Restaurants. 

LOL.  You should be a Disney manager.

I'll bet that some guests got free meals out of this.  And, as I said, it looked to me that some guests got brand new gas grills dropped off at their sites (on loan, I assume).

I didn't check the cabin loops. I hope they did something for the cabin people.  I think those grills get used a lot.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I too have had a few of those grills.  Good grills. They last about two seasons on the boat.   

This one has lasted 3 seasons. This summer wil be season 4.    I think the stainless steel stands up to the high humidity better than my old charbroil grills  .

And it has two burners. It helps when I'm cooking different items at the same time. 

23 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I too have had a few of those grills.  Good grills. They last about two seasons on the boat.   

This one has lasted 3 seasons. This summer wil be season 4.    I think the stainless steel stands up to the high humidity better than my old charbroil grills  .

And it has two burners. It helps when I'm cooking different items at the same time. 

You are right- those cheap grills do not last long.  But, they are cheap and get the job done.  I'm typically only cooking hot dogs, sausages or burgers on those grills.  I don't need fancy.

In my experience, the problem with stainless steel grills is that the guts still rust and burn out.  Maybe not quite as fast as in a cheaper grill. But, I can buy three of the cheap grills for the price of the stainless grill.

I've looked at those Weber grills like they now have at the Fort, but I've always balked at the price.  There are good grills for 1/4 of the price.  $1300 for a grill is nuts to me.

TCD

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

I like that. In fact enough to run over to our local WalMart and not a one to be found. I even risked asking and getting that "You've got to be kidding. Me help you?" look. I'm kind of jealous y'all seem to get these deals yet they never show up around here.

27 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You are right- those cheap grills do not last long.  But, they are cheap and get the job done.  I'm typically only cooking hot dogs, sausages or burgers on those grills.  I don't need fancy.

In my experience, the problem with stainless steel grills is that the guts still rust and burn out.  Maybe not quite as fast as in a cheaper grill. But, I can buy three of the cheap grills for the price of the stainless grill.

I've looked at those Weber grills like they now have at the Fort, but I've always balked at the price.  There are good grills for 1/4 of the price.  $1300 for a grill is nuts to me.

TCD

When the new house is done, we are probably going to get a Weber gas grill. Not the $1300 one, but $700 - 800 for sure. The thing with Weber is they will be around forever, and they keep making the parts. When a $200 - $300 gas grill has the burners rust out, it's almost impossible to find direct replacement parts, as the names on the grill change, the design changes, and the parts change. My dad and brothers have owned Webers for 8-10 years. They all have successfully been able to replace the burners when needed and get parts for a fraction of the cost of replacing a $200 - $300 grill every few years. Unfortunately, we have not been able to do that until this year. We grill so often, then when a grill died, we needed one THEN!!, and paying for a Weber was not in the cards. But we decided to make it a priority for the new house and put it in the budget even though the old grill still works.

57 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

One of the reasons I bought this particular grill is that the grates, deflector, and , iirc, the burners are also stainless steel.     So hopefully it will last a few more years.   Also it cooks better than my old $30 ones. 

I would be curious if one does get stolen. We live in such a messed up world now, it will happen. That brings me to the question if anyone knows if disney has cameras around the fort. Someone told me a while ago that they have hidden cameras all over in the settlement ,loops and bus stops. Does anyone know this to be true?

also, I see from the pic of some of the management written letters, the name of the fort manager is John Stafford. Does anyone have an email for him or a way to contact him?  I have a bone to pick with him

I really think all of you are missing the new latest Disney upcharge coming, they will supply this grill at your site for a charge to justify upping the site cost another $50. Think I am crazy KOA and other campgrounds have grills at their upgraded sites, this might be next

33 minutes ago, Specularius said:

I predict that the rain shortage will end starting the day after Memorial Day.....The day We check into the Fort.

LOL.  I thought the same thing about our Easter trip.  It seems like it ALWAYS rains the night before I have to pack up to go home.  But, it didn't this year.  It's still really dry here.

TCD

10 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

LOL.  I thought the same thing about our Easter trip.  It seems like it ALWAYS rains the night before I have to pack up to go home.  But, it didn't this year.  It's still really dry here.

TCD

We were getting ready to leave the house Saturday to head to Orlando, and my granddaughter said look how hard it's raining!

2 minutes later it was over,  the lawn wasn't even damp, and the driveway had already dried up.

it was overcast Saturday and Sunday at WDW, but it was still plenty hot and humid.