Wilderness Lodge trip 2017 - Upgrades, Tours and Backstage, Oh My!

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I have done 4 parks in one day quite a few times. The Express Transportation option is clearly a game changer.  What an awesome day you had, and you had incredible good luck with being able to book same day Fastpasses.  Good job!

TCD

Thanks! As I said in another thread, it's a great option once you get the schedule down. I can't believe that they don't have it posted. With the fastpasses, we only had booked one in advance for Soarin', so we were able to add one at a time in different parks after that. I guess MDE allows you to select multiple parks in a single day with that approach.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My family and I have been to WDW many times, and with the exception of the first time I went with my wife (then fiancé), we have always stayed at the fort. The first time i went to WDW, we stayed at P

Great pictures of the castle suite. I love the starry night over the tub...I want that!

A short update just to finish up our day at EPCOT. Thanks again for following along! After making a few stops to pick up some gifts for family in a few of the pavilions, we decided to grab a bite

Wednesday morning was the start of the conference I was attending, but that doesn't mean I wasn't going to get my fill of WDW that day.

The conference was being held at the Orange County Convention Center, which meant I had to head into Orlando early that morning. My bride was kind enough to drop me off there, so i could meet up with her later without having to juggle a car.

Early morning room view:

33567529424_e87df0c1e6_z.jpg

After registering at the conference and checking in for the day, I was going to head back to the Magic Kingdom! I was booked for a backstage tour of the park with one of the architects that work at WDW and are responsible for the design and maintenance of the various properties. One thing I learned on this trip is that Imagineering, which everyone knows about, is in charge of the design and construction of new attractions and park areas - once they are done, it gets turned over to the parks and their internal team is responsible for maintenance and repairs. This team is also responsible for renovations (ie Skipper Canteen, in conjunction with Imagineering) and ongoing maintenance, as well as special projects. This morning we were going to get to tour one of those special projects (among other things), so on to a bus we went and headed back to WDW.

The bus arrived at the same backstage area behind Tomorrowland where the express bus drops off, and we entered the park from there right at rope drop (a first for me, actually). From there, we headed over through Fantasyland to Cinderella's Castle.

33567526494_247ce2504c_z.jpg

Once there, we viewed and discussed all the beautiful mosaic murals in the corridor that runs through the castle. If you haven't stopped to look at them before, they really are amazing works of art and tell the story of Cinderella:

33567525064_bb2a9c7086_z.jpg

33567523564_a4d22757c8_z.jpg

33567522154_81bd68f498_z.jpg

34250125322_3b54b01dcc_z.jpg

34250127422_d358d31128_z.jpg

And these column caps are pretty amazing as well:

34250112492_e0e3381b67_z.jpg

34250111232_a27973ec01_z.jpg

Guess where we're going yet?

33658108833_d272f0ab21_z.jpg

Yep. The Cinderella suite was dreamed up by Disney Marketing as a promotion for the 'Year of a Million Dreams'. It was completed in 7 months, including the installation of a new elevator in the castle, which is accessed via a special entrance. It isn't used much any more, only a couple times a month, and is reserved for special contest winners, honored guests or as a promotional giveaway.

The elevator lobby has some beautiful details, like the lighting and a handmade tapestry:

34367759526_bffde82cd3_z.jpg

34409266255_f7be9efd80_z.jpg

34278479441_3dee5c698b_z.jpg

All the clocks in the suite are stopped at a minute to Midnight:

34278478141_52b723404d_z.jpg

That elevator was being wonky, so we walked up the 140 steps to the suite. It's very small, less than 700 square feet, but packs a lot into it. The space was used before variously as a call center, dressing room and storage area. I'm going to blast you with photos, because when am I ever going to get up there again.

Immediately on your left as you enter is the bathroom area, and tub:

34278477461_fe0e2de896_z.jpg

34409193425_7d5bb239f1_z.jpg

33599331173_c29d2a4356_z.jpg

Tile mosaic walls and fiber optic starry ceiling:

34024143500_9c565fdd4b_z.jpg

34409183695_d20f447303_z.jpg

33599327633_a47861a23b_z.jpg

A genuine throne room:

34409190435_6bae7fc1c7_z.jpg

Dressing Table:

34409185445_92703c1730_z.jpg

34278468061_6dcec15cc5_z.jpg

Shower and vanity:

34024284120_e251f4bce2_z.jpg

34409185745_8482a9a956_z.jpg

Stained glass window into the shower:

34409191575_425662594a_z.jpg

Looking from the main bedroom into the parlor area:

33599238973_9300258d93_z.jpg

Main bedroom area:

33599238103_008d1c5e1a_z.jpg

34367716406_51b04851d5_z.jpg

34409176985_0c454fc3eb_z.jpg

34409178045_e7b40acc26_z.jpg

34024142900_1240126bb6_z.jpg

34024141870_0f126ec3fd_z.jpg

The fireplace has fiber optic fireworks that light up the back of the firebox:

34409195665_d52a34e060_z.jpg

The TV speakers are hidden on either side of the mantel:

34367714946_6fcc96bc3d_z.jpg

34409194335_528504bd49_z.jpg

They had to work around the existing structure and were restricted on height, but the coffered ceiling is pretty amazing.

34367718576_f40478170f_z.jpg

That's a lot of photos, so I will stop here and finish up in the next post.

Wow.

I'm confused about what is happening.  Did you go all the way to the Orange County Convention Center, and then come back from there for the tour?  I don't think there's a tour available to the general public that includes the Castle Suite.  So was this something set up through your conference?  How many people were on the tour with you?

However it happened, congratulation on even seeing the Castle Suite.  I always thought I'd win a stay there during the Year of a Million Dreams, but somehow it didn't happen.

TCD

The Dream Suite is divided into two rooms (plus the bathroom) and sleeps six. The other main room in the suite is called the parlor, and has a custom pull-out couch:

34409180505_4c73f50a85_z.jpg

33599295903_1fc12bcc9b_z.jpg

34250069152_13230727f1_z.jpg

34409179265_a9ae6ec513_z.jpg

This wall is all hidden storage:

34367686766_065deaab7f_z.jpg

34024341390_166902b6ed_z.jpg

34367680916_31910ac54e_z.jpg

34024323480_980e0d826e_z.jpg

Lots of stained glass, and views:

34367674286_239b0fd712_z.jpg

34367676156_932a9e98b2_z.jpg

34367670386_8f00b3964c_z.jpg

33599281913_7af680553c_z.jpg

Remember those three windows.

A beautiful ceiling in here, as well.

34409200875_ba9eb4426f_z.jpg

34367672276_027c4d13d1_z.jpg

And, of course, a visit here wouldn't be complete without seeing Cinderella's glass slipper:

33567377694_aaf3fe19ee_z.jpg

Phew.

From here, we walked back down the stairs and down into the Utilidors, which I'll talk about a bit on my next post, but here's a view from the Carousel* that shows where the suite is in relation to the castle overall. Look for the three windows roughly in the center of the photo and you can see where it is, about 75' high on the castle.

33567368164_2f9ac3c558_z.jpg

*The carousel is currently being refurbished to allow for disabled access, and is the last carousel in any Disney park to undergo this renovation.

41 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow.

I'm confused about what is happening.  Did you go all the way to the Orange County Convention Center, and then come back from there for the tour?  I don't think there's a tour available to the general public that includes the Castle Suite.  So was this something set up through your conference?  How many people were on the tour with you?

However it happened, congratulation on even seeing the Castle Suite.  I always thought I'd win a stay there during the Year of a Million Dreams, but somehow it didn't happen.

TCD

Apologies for the confusion, I went back and edited my post to make it clearer.

Yes, this tour was set up through my conference (and it was on the first day), so I had to go to the OCCC to check in and register for the conference and tour. Sorry for the confusion. It was a total pain that I couldn't meet them at WDW. This happened a few times that week, as I went on a few tours and have a lot of photos and info to share.

There were 24 people on the castle suite tour, and we split into two groups to go up to the suite. The first group got stuck in the elevator, so I'm glad I was in the second group!

You are correct that it is not open to the public for tours or overnights, but you may still have a chance to stay there yet! There is a 'sweepstakes' every month for cast members, with the winner receiving a night's stay in the Dream Suite.

37 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

Apologies for the confusion, I went back and edited my post to make it clearer.

Yes, this tour was set up through my conference (and it was on the first day), so I had to go to the OCCC to check in and register for the conference and tour. Sorry for the confusion. It was a total pain that I couldn't meet them at WDW. This happened a few times that week, as I went on a few tours and have a lot of photos and info to share.

There were 24 people on the castle suite tour, and we split into two groups to go up to the suite. The first group got stuck in the elevator, so I'm glad I was in the second group!

You are correct that it is not open to the public for tours or overnights, but you may still have a chance to stay there yet! There is a 'sweepstakes' every month for cast members, with the winner receiving a night's stay in the Dream Suite.

Thanks for clearing that up.  That was a lot of traveling for you to get to the MK, but what a great tour!  Congratulations.

I didn't know about the CM sweepstakes for a night in the castle.  I wonder if that is true. My DD's never mentioned it to me.  Maybe because I won't be on the guest list if they win?

TCD

First of all, happy anniversary!!!!!

the upgrade is sweet!! We had that happen once but it was only one night, but it was still amazing.

the fireworks from the balcony would for sure be something I could handle seeing every night!

four parks in one day is still on my Disney list, I'd say you conquered it well! 

And I'm totally jealous over the castle tour! I'd say you've got yourself an awesome trip report! 

Wow, you hit a major jackpot.  We, the readers, also are enjoying a secondary jackpot. Your TR and pics are fantastic. Your pic from behind the beer in a plastic glass takes me back. I th8nk there was a line of Michelob, way back, that was in plastic/glass. I can't be any more technical, but I bet someone on here knows.

BTW, for any kids reading along, that was an honest to goodness telephone sitting on the table in the castlevening suite.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:58 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for clearing that up.  That was a lot of traveling for you to get to the MK, but what a great tour!  Congratulations.

I didn't know about the CM sweepstakes for a night in the castle.  I wonder if that is true. My DD's never mentioned it to me.  Maybe because I won't be on the guest list if they win?

TCD

Andrew you better be on the guest list they would not be Disney girls if not for you. 

Loving all the pictures!  Just when I think, we'd be okay not going back... the pictures suck me right back in and make me "homesick".  

Thanks for the pictures of the Lodge.  I think I'm late to the game, but I had no idea that they were building cabins.. haha :lol:  Knew DVC was expanded, but didn't know about those.  They look very neat.  Expensive.  But neat.

The fireworks view... awesome!!

On 5/5/2017 at 2:48 PM, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Great pictures of the suite!  Thanks for sharing them.  I'd love to be able to tour it again.

It was very cool. I can only imagine being there during Wishes - you can't see it, but I'd bet you would sure as heck feel it...

On 5/5/2017 at 4:22 PM, Beckers said:

First of all, happy anniversary!!!!!

the upgrade is sweet!! We had that happen once but it was only one night, but it was still amazing.

the fireworks from the balcony would for sure be something I could handle seeing every night!

four parks in one day is still on my Disney list, I'd say you conquered it well! 

And I'm totally jealous over the castle tour! I'd say you've got yourself an awesome trip report! 

Thanks! We watched the fireworks from the room on a couple of evenings. It was easy to get spoiled with all the food and drink available as well.

The Express Transport makes it pretty easy to do the 4 parks if you time it right.

On 5/5/2017 at 6:22 PM, dvccamper said:

Great pictures of the castle suite. I love the starry night over the tub...I want that!

Thanks! Yes, the ceiling and walls were certainly beautiful - and the light in the tub changed colors as well

On 5/5/2017 at 7:52 PM, caveat lector said:

Wow, you hit a major jackpot.  We, the readers, also are enjoying a secondary jackpot. Your TR and pics are fantastic. Your pic from behind the beer in a plastic glass takes me back. I th8nk there was a line of Michelob, way back, that was in plastic/glass. I can't be any more technical, but I bet someone on here knows.

BTW, for any kids reading along, that was an honest to goodness telephone sitting on the table in the castlevening suite.

Yep. A genuine telly phone.

On 5/6/2017 at 6:39 AM, dblr....Rennie said:

WOW!!!!!! Great pictures and thanks for sharing them with us, sounds like a great trip looking forward to more

Thanks!

18 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Cool pictures 

Thank you for reading along!

11 hours ago, JMSisko said:

Incredible, we are very jealous.

It was honestly a treat to see the suite, and to walk through with one of the project leads on the job and get the inside track was a lot of fun. I won't tell you what it cost, but the amount was given to us in cost per square inch instead of per square foot...

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Loving all the pictures!  Just when I think, we'd be okay not going back... the pictures suck me right back in and make me "homesick".  

Thanks for the pictures of the Lodge.  I think I'm late to the game, but I had no idea that they were building cabins.. haha :lol:  Knew DVC was expanded, but didn't know about those.  They look very neat.  Expensive.  But neat.

The fireworks view... awesome!!

We were offered but did not choose to tour the cabins while we were staying there, but they have at least two cabins available and staged for tours. One of the DVC people told me that they also keep one of the bungalows at the Poly staged to give tours as well.

More trip report soon!

27 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Saturday night all the cabins, walkways, etc., closest to the Contemporary were all lit up.  It looked pretty, but definitely out of place.

And it's amazing how close they are to World Drive.

And how close to the monorail line coming south from the Contemporary to the TTC.  Wouldn't take much to bend the line around the west end of where the new cabins are, head southeast toward the WL lobby area to a new station in front of the lodge, then back west over the WL parking lot to the TTC.  I certainly don't expect they'll ever put more money into the monorail system, but that would be pretty cool and provide even more justification for folks to shell out big bucks for the new villas.  

1 minute ago, DaveInTN said:

And how close to the monorail line coming south from the Contemporary to the TTC.  Wouldn't take much to bend the line around the west end of where the new cabins are, head southeast toward the WL lobby area to a new station in front of the lodge, then back west over the WL parking lot to the TTC.  I certainly don't expect they'll ever put more money into the monorail system, but that would be pretty cool and provide even more justification for folks to shell out big bucks for the new villas.  

I thought they were going to build a bridge across the channel and make a cart path from the cabins to the Contemporary, continuing on to the MK where there will be valet cart parking!

That would make it very exclusive.

Thanks again to everyone reading along. Being able to see the Dream Suite was indeed a pretty cool experience. I'm glad that others here have been able to see it as well - people should have the opportunity to see it but I can understand that it's not really feasible to have it as part of the KTTK tour due to the space limitations of the suite (and elevator).

After our tour we continued back down the stairs into the utilidors (or the 'Tunnel' as it's apparently called by most of the CM's we spoke with). We came down just around where the orange box is on this map below the word 'Fantasyland'.

33657800973_e7f2488433_z.jpg

As photos weren't allowed in the tunnels, I'll just briefly describe our walkthrough. We were given headsets to wear so we could hear our tour guide, and we walked out to the main tunnel entrance to start. from there we proceeded south along the staff areas and down into the main North/South tunnel. This area dips down under the hub above, and is the deepest part of the Magic Kingdom. Everything else was built on top.

I beleive the Keys to the Kingdom tour goes off to Frontierland, but out tour continued down Main Street and then looped around through Tomorrowland. It was really neat to see the activity down there, and to almost get run over by golf carts repeatedly, but if you've ever been in the service areas of a large mall it's pretty much the same thing. Aside from the staff cafeteria and other areas for storage and food refrigeration, there are large stretches of food equipment coming or going, a repair shop, and recycling areas. We heard a little about the pneumatic AVAC garbage removal system, including the fact that the company that maintains it sends a worker through the tubes once a year to inspect and repair anything that needs fixing. In a word, nope. If you're interested in reading more about it, here's a link: http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/disneys-unlikely-garbage-innovation-was-supposed-to-sweep-the-countrybut-ended-up-on-roosevelt-island

Here's a better map I found online, for anyone interested:

34082785520_3d9a2831f2_z.jpg

We did get to walk by the cash control area, with its security glazing and counting machines (and a Scrooge MacDuck mural, lol), as well as the character wardobe and makeup/dressing areas. That was pretty cool. A tour of the underground areas isn't all that exciting, but it certainly gives you some perspective on how the park grew and how everything operates. I'm happy to answer questions if I can, I thought it was very interesting.

Once we headed out of the tunnels, the tour walked through some of the backstage areas behind Be Our Guest and the new Fantasyland areas to look at some of the false stonework that was installed there.

We came out of the backstage areas near Pinocchio's Village Haus and walked around the Mine Train ride expansion (again to look at the rockwork and infrastructure), then back out through the castle to the hub.

33567374454_f286a3a836_z.jpg

33567372554_93f33af7bf_z.jpg

34250123782_244fafdc00_z.jpg

34250119262_239bba9109_z.jpg

34249999992_861492b7d7_z.jpg

The tour wrapped up with some Q&A, and from there we headed back to the bus area. I wasn't done with my time at WDW yet though, after lunch I was headed over to Animal Kingdom for a walkthrough with two of the Imagineering design managers!

Again organized through the conference I was attending, this walking tour focused on the recent expansions to the park (Harambe Marketplace, Tree of Life area, Rivers of Light area, and another area that's on the tip of my tongue..) and their integration into the existing park.

Tree of Life central area:

34249996172_74344af4e8_z.jpg

A neat view of the entire Rivers of Light arena, showing the different themeing of the two sides - one themed to Asia and one themed to the Nemo and Dinoland area - that had to work together as a whole. And all done while the park remained open.

34249993642_c03488564a_z.jpg

Maharajah Jungle Trek, which was updated as part of the Kali River Rapids renovation a few years ago:

34409147635_f9aa067503_z.jpg

33567351604_a600e16ac1_z.jpg

34249979282_3833b2964d_z.jpg

Discussion of how they were able to integrate antiquities and other artwork that was built or crafted in Bali with the project here in Florida.

34249973642_8ddc219d9a_z.jpg

33567331914_b40646fe77_z.jpg

For example, this pergola was sourced, brought over and reconstructed here along the Asia walking path, integrated with items that were created here like the large broken statue:

34249962362_efafda333a_z.jpg

34278247181_41e5cf6f85_z.jpg

The new(ish) Harambe Market area:

33567328234_63da45424e_z.jpg

33567326044_81b4faf4ff_z.jpg

34024327280_bcb4b65251_z.jpg

34024222950_f76be966c1_z.jpg

34249945372_e6911e5aaa_z.jpg

Walking over towards the Festival of the Lion King Theater. Some of you may remember that there used to be boats that traversed from this area over to Asia when the park first opened, but were discontinued shortly after opening. One of the Imagineers remarked that people thought the boats were a ride and were upset that all they did was bring you from one side of the park to the other.

34024216700_6361c122c8_z.jpg

34024210920_f651943117_z.jpg

34024215300_695a4d6ae5_z.jpg

I love the detailing here:

34278338001_5c54a35c10_z.jpg

At one time, the area that Pandora now occupies was going to be home to the Beastly Kingdom, an area focused on Mythical Creatures. The river continued over into that area, but it has now been narrowed down at that bridge to create a back way in and out of Pandora. Pro tip for future traffic.

From here we headed over past Tiffins and the Nomad Lounge to the new Pandora area. I feel for the CM's working those restaurants over the last few months because they have been relatively quiet - the rush is about to begin.

34278336181_d3f91aae35_z.jpg

Now, this was Wednesday April 26th - TCD I've got you by a few days, my friend, but I'll give you the bragging rights :). Was the plant by the entrance putting out smoke/vapor when you walked in? Our tour spent quite a bit of time walking around the entry area and buildings, and the land was still quite obviously under construction - lots of lights going up and final details being worked on - but we could really get a feel for how beautiful the area is. I can't wait to see it at night. There were cast members being trained at the restaurant that day as well, so lots of activity.

As we couldn't take photos I'm going to tell those reading along to go check out TCD's report on the area as he has some great pictures of the land. http://www.fortfiends.net/topic/18595-a-sneak-peek-at-pandora-the-world-of-avatar/?page=1

As I said over there, the scenery is beautiful and they really did a nice job of balancing the themeing of the park for those who are Avatar fans and those (like me) that have never seen the movie. I can't wait to see it at night, with all the luminescent paint and glowing plants.

It was really cool to walk through with two of the guys that worked on the park - one had been with WDI for 29 years and one for 23 years, so they had both been working on AK pretty much since its opening. So long now that some stuff they had worked on originally has been torn down and rebuilt! Lots of stories.

They gave us each a copy of the Imagineer's guide to AK at the end of the tour, even though with all the new renovations it's a little outdated. It's still a good guide to the park and the original vision.

It was approximately 95 degrees out by the time we were done, so I met my wife at the Nomad Lounge and we cooled off for a while with some food and drinks. We had a few fastpasses, so we hit the Safari and the Kali River Rapids, which helped with the heat. Everest was a walk on, so we rode that as well. Our plan was originally to watch Rivers of Light that night, but with the heat and humidity we decided to head back early to the hotel to check out some club level hospitality.

Sunset view from the room:

34024209030_e9941e456f_z.jpg

Wishes, from the room:

33567282654_fb970b3d8f_z.jpg

34409097465_f205c861ff_z.jpg

33567278654_8c3d3c643d_z.jpg

33567277224_f9de1180a6_z.jpg

All in all another great day, with another ten miles logged. More to come!

1 hour ago, shoreline99 said:

Walking over towards the Festival of the Lion King Theater. Some of you may remember that there used to be boats that traversed from this area over to Asia when the park first opened, but were discontinued shortly after opening. One of the Imagineers remarked that people thought the boats were a ride and were upset that all they did was bring you from one side of the park to the other.

Silly people - sometimes it's just nice to ride around the park.  It's like riding the rails at Magic Kingdom - a chance to just rest and enjoy the sights.

I loved inside the Castle and your pictures were wonderful - what a fantastic opportunity !!

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Or even simpler, a raised walkway to a convenient spot in the monorail line, with a station built around it. (Bring the masses to the mountain)