TWO Sneak Peeks at Pandora The World of Avatar

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I claim PBR! Pandora Bragging Rights. The TCD gang hit up a Castmember preview of Animal Kingdom's brand new land yesterday, May 3rd, 2017. We received these tickets through the efforts

This show the seats  

I have more photos! We left off at the bar.  Actually, it's not a bar- just a walkup window where you can get a drink. I think they need to work on that.  A bar here would be good. This big

Great stuff, TCD!!  Thanks so much for sharing.  :)

On 5/5/2017 at 10:27 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

Good point about motion sickness.

I sometimes feel a bit queasy after Star Tours.  And definitely feel it after Mission Space.  Some of the Universal rides get me a bit- like Spiderman and Transformers.  I've never had an issue with Soarin'.  I think it's because all of the images are in synch with the motion of the ride vehicle.  I think that's the same thing that is happening with FOP.

Of course, I so far have only ridden Flight of Passage once, but I felt zero queasiness.  None at all.  Nobody in our group felt it, and for what it's worth, Twin #1's friend said there haven't been many motion sickness complaints at all.

Good to know!  I have no issues with Soarin. I can get through the 2 Harry Potter rides at UO as long as I look straight ahead, but once a day is all I dare try. After the last time I rode Star Tours I haven' been brave enough to attempt Mission Space. 

But just like the Harry Potter rides, there's no way I'm not going on this at least once.  :)

On 5/5/2017 at 11:10 AM, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I'll be watching comments on this too.  I have to shut my eyes a couple of times on Star Tours and several times on Soarin'. 

I tried closing my eyes on Star Tours and it made it a lot worse.  :(

I can't sit in the back row on Star Tours. My feet can't touch and it makes me bounce around and out of sync. If I'm on the lower rows I can plant my feet on the floor and it helps a lot.

I'm willing  to risk getting sick for this ride. 

6 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I can't sit in the back row on Star Tours. My feet can't touch and it makes me bounce around and out of sync. If I'm on the lower rows I can plant my feet on the floor and it helps a lot.

If you would have eaten your spinach when you were a kid you might now be tall enough for the back row. 

On May 6, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Beckers said:

When I get stuck in the back row I put my feet up against the metal struts between the seats in front of me and brace myself with my legs.  That way I don't kick the people ahead of me but I have something to push against whenever we lurch or lunge.

I am such a chicken:rolleyes:

And thank you TCD for the great pictures - I guess we're going to have to get there this winter for at least a week to check this out.  Time for a change of plans.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:15 PM, dvccamper said:

Looks amazing! I'm not sure if this has been covered somewhere but are they tiering the fast passes? I'm guessing they won't let you get one for each ride.

You are correct. As of now,  you can only get a FP+ for either Flights of Passage or Na'vi River Journey. You have to pick one or the other.  I would say the best strategy is to get FOP and rope drop NRJ, but it would work the other way too.

10 hours ago, lightbikes said:

And thank you TCD for the great pictures - I guess we're going to have to get there this winter for at least a week to check this out.  Time for a change of plans.

I imagine the crowds will die down by winter, so that will be a good time to visit.

We all wondered if they will have Christmas decorations in Pandora.  I say they will- we are supposed to be on and Eco-Tour operated by an Earth corporation.  My girls say they won't decorate for Christmas, as the land is too new and the earth decorations would clash with what they're trying to do here.  They could be right- I think they skipped Christmas decorations for the first Christmas in New Fantasyland.

TCD

37 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

We all wondered if they will have Christmas decorations in Pandora.  I say they will- we are supposed to be on and Eco-Tour operated by an Earth corporation.  My girls say they won't decorate for Christmas, as the land is too new and the earth decorations would clash with what they're trying to do here.  They could be right- I think they skipped Christmas decorations for the first Christmas in New Fantasyland.

TCD

Now,  if you go with their theory that this is an Eco-tour operated by an Earth organization, then there could (should)  be hidden mickey's around, too.   Anywhere an earthling goes,  there goes Disney.  You know someone would have scrawled a mickey head graffiti thing somewhere.

2 hours ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

Now,  if you go with their theory that this is an Eco-tour operated by an Earth organization, then there could (should)  be hidden mickey's around, too.   Anywhere an earthling goes,  there goes Disney.  You know someone would have scrawled a mickey head graffiti thing somewhere.

I agree. I don't really understand what the story is supposed to be in this land. Twin #1's friend said that it's not likely that we will see Na'vis around since they don't want to be around humans. The CM's all have name tags telling us where they are from on earth. So the place is operated by humans from earth. There's no reason they wouldn't have earth cultural references around. That's exactly what humans have always done when settling new lands. 

TCD

On 5/6/2017 at 11:34 AM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I tried closing my eyes on Star Tours and it made it a lot worse.  :(

Actually I learned not to close your eyes when doing aeronautics with my dad when I was younger. One of the major causes of nausea is the brain not being able to resolve the movement detected by the ears. It turns out it is the eyes are what are used to resolve the type of movement and your orientation. Being able to define a horizon or other fixed point is really important. Any condition that causes loss of the fixed point will result in disorientation and possible nausea.  

On 5/8/2017 at 10:44 PM, keith_h said:

Being able to define a horizon or other fixed point is really important. Any condition that causes loss of the fixed point will result in disorientation and possible nausea.  

That probably explains why as long as I focus straight ahead on the Harry Potter rides, I can make it through.  I've even noticed with Soarin (which isn't nearly as bad motion-sickness wise for me), if I look down and not relatively straight ahead, it makes me a big oogly.

13 minutes ago, Beckers said:

You don't see it much lol. But he posts some interesting things. 

https://instagram.com/p/BT6PwVogbc0/

Thanks for that link.  I didn't realize he posts such long, detailed messages on IG.  I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.

But it's interesting to hear what he has to say directly.

This post explains a lot:

Our main goal was to establish that a long time had passed since the conflicts characterized by the original Avatar story. To do this, we need enough noticeable old stuff that you can't miss the point that there used to be something else going on here, and that that thing is now long past and overgrown. And, ultimately we are looking for a beautiful romantic environment, so the cultural and natural overlays on top of the old brutal facilities are a necessary design component. The story is about nature, culture, and conservation triumphing over destruction. We need just just enough RDA stuff to make that point.

That goes a long way to explain why they did what they did in Pandora, and what they are trying to achieve as far as the feel and message of the land.

TCD

Got my official further information email for our Pandora visit yesterday.  It came a day earlier than the booking email said it would.  Amazing

I had booked the 6 to 8 time slot for 5/18 which was confirmed in our original email.

But, when I looked on MDE, it shows a 5:00 time.

Anyone else notice a difference on their time slots?

14 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Got my official further information email for our Pandora visit yesterday.  It came a day earlier than the booking email said it would.  Amazing

I had booked the 6 to 8 time slot for 5/18 which was confirmed in our original email.

But, when I looked on MDE, it shows a 5:00 time.

Anyone else notice a difference on their time slots?

Yup. I have a 3-5 timeslot, and a FP+ for the Na'vi River Journey showed up automagicaly  on my MDE for 2 pm.

According to the email that FP+ isn't really a FP+.  It's my admission media.

There was an hour gap scheduled between the assigned time slots.  I don't know if this means that they will be letting us in an hour early, or what.

Not confusing at all.

Classic Disney communications.

I will be going before you, so I'll report back on what happens.

TCD

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Yup. I have a 3-5 timeslot, and a FP+ for the Na'vi River Journey showed up automagicaly  on my MDE for 2 pm.

According to the email that FP+ isn't really a FP+.  It's my admission media.

There was an hour gap scheduled between the assigned time slots.  I don't know if this means that they will be letting us in an hour early, or what.

Not confusing at all.

Classic Disney communications.

I will be going before you, so I'll report back on what happens.

TCD

Here i was all impressed that the email showed up a day early.

Yes I did read the message that says this is just an admission to the area, no guarantee that everything/anything will be working and that it is not a FP ticket.

So does this get us on the 2 rides (if they are working), or do we just get to wander around the world for 2 hours?

Yes, please let us know if we can get there earlier.  My GD has class until 4, but it's a "dead" week before exams, so we might be able to get her out earlier.

My daughter already FP for Frozen in the afternoon.

We were going to try FP for River of Lights, but it wont let us since we have the Frozen one.

14 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Here i was all impressed that the email showed up a day early.So does this get us on the 2 rides (if they are working), or do we just get to wander around the world for 2 hours?

The big unknown is how Flight of Passage will be operating.  For the CM previews, they were only operating it at a very limited capacity or not at all. If that continues for the AP previews, my guess is that they will continue with handing out a limited number of paper FP's to guests as they enter the preview.  Not everyone will get to ride that.  The river ride was a walk-on all during the preview. No problem riding that.

My biggest concern now is deciding what time to show up.  We got the inside scoop to show up early for the CM preview.  We showed up an hour early, and were let in a half hour early, and we scored paper FP's for FOP. If we didn't have those, we would not have been able to ride FOP.

Now that they've scheduled everyone for an hour before the official start time of their preview, I am not sure what we will do.  It seems like everyone will show up an hour early now.  I'm not thrilled about standing in line in direct sunlight for over an hour, but I think that's what we will need to do.

You'll have it easier since there will be several AP preview days completed before yours.

TCD

16 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The big unknown is how Flight of Passage will be operating.  For the CM previews, they were only operating it at a very limited capacity or not at all. If that continues for the AP previews, my guess is that they will continue with handing out a limited number of paper FP's to guests as they enter the preview.  Not everyone will get to ride that.  The river ride was a walk-on all during the preview. No problem riding that.

My biggest concern now is deciding what time to show up.  We got the inside scoop to show up early for the CM preview.  We showed up an hour early, and were let in a half hour early, and we scored paper FP's for FOP. If we didn't have those, we would not have been able to ride FOP.

Now that they've scheduled everyone for an hour before the official start time of their preview, I am not sure what we will do.  It seems like everyone will show up an hour early now.  I'm not thrilled about standing in line in direct sunlight for over an hour, but I think that's what we will need to do.

You'll have it easier since there will be several AP preview days completed before yours.

TCD

Yippee!  Maybe they will have everything working by then.

I did see a previous post that said to try to see it lit up at night.  Even at 8 it'll still be pretty light out, so I don't know if we will get the nighttime effect.