At the same time living without AC has its draw backs, my wife and I always carry a light jacket or sweater when we go out because most people have their places so cool it is uncomfortable and since I broke my arm it starts to throb when it is chilly. Try finding a sweater in the Keys in June, I don't think they even sell them in the winter there, but I did find a sweat shirt in the markdown bin.

1 hour ago, BigTom said:

It is not a slab, foundation, 2 rows of blocks filled in and poured floor, no crawl space.

So not a cracker house.

I wish builders would start building those again.  Guess they wouldn't look good in a sub division with that unsightly open space underneath!

1 hour ago, BigTom said:

At the same time living without AC has its draw backs, my wife and I always carry a light jacket or sweater when we go out because most people have their places so cool it is uncomfortable and since I broke my arm it starts to throb when it is chilly. Try finding a sweater in the Keys in June, I don't think they even sell them in the winter there, but I did find a sweat shirt in the markdown bin.

My 11 year old granddaughter takes her jacket with her lots of times because school classrooms are cold.

I say a girl from her school yesterday walking home with a hoodie on and the hood up.  I guess that makes sense since it was only 96 degrees.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I called today about the solar covers, plan to buy a set and get a good fan too. May replace the AC unit prior to the trip. We plan to chill at the pool when we are not at MK or in the golf cart! 

We used the solar covers on the bunks of our hybrid last August at the Fort and absolutely loved them.  It was the first time our AC didn't have to run constantly to keep the camper cool during the day.

1 minute ago, Beckers said:

We've already had our AC on a few times this year. It's currently cranking now because it was 90 yesterday and today and tomorrow. Our upstairs gets hot (and our downstairs is freezing). We really need two separate units for our house.

Yep... a/c is on here in Atlanta (at night at least).

12 minutes ago, Beckers said:

We've already had our AC on a few times this year. It's currently cranking now because it was 90 yesterday and today and tomorrow. Our upstairs gets hot (and our downstairs is freezing). We really need two separate units for our house.

I have serious problems with my upstairs temperature.  There is a zone damper with a thermostat and booster fan, but no separate unit. We've had some one look at it, and he confirmed that  when the a/c was but in they didn't really consider the upstairs. Apparently it's cold at the vent but there is no pressure. It's 80F in here already.

23 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Have you looked at the ductless units?

We have them in a couple of our offices.  I know they will really cool off a room, not sure how big of an area they can cool.

19 hours ago, OdysseusMontezuma said:

I will defer to the Central Florida Fiends on this one, but isn't the daily afternoon thunderstorm a factor that time of year as well?

Yes, usually.  But we are in drought conditions and have been told not to count on showers too soon.  Hoping weather guys are wrong and the rains start soon.

If the storms happen too early in the afternoon it feels like a sauna when they stop.  However, when the rains come late in the day it sure cools things down.

hey lets not talk too much about rain... it can come after memorial day :)

Headed to the fort for memorial day with my pup and it has A/C, we dont have the solar bunk ends but its a 2016 trailer with a 13.5K btu A/C
at night when we used it in April at Ft Desoto the AC got it down to 68, mind you the highs of the day were in the mid 80's and during the day it kept it around 75 with noticeably less humidity 

I am expecting a hot memorial day weekend, I was able to score a site yesterday,  it took me 28 min on the phone to get the rezzie sorted out after booking it online
something i figured out for those wanting shorter trips but site shows no availability unless you stay 5 days Thursday to Tuesday... no place on their site does it say a minimum stay is required for the holiday weekend, I used that as my angle and got in modified to Friday to Monday... the CM agreed that when they have stated places with minimums its always been a 2 or 3 night rule and as i was booking 3 nights she sided with me... they had to contact 2 other departments to get the extra 2 days dropped