Hello Fellow Campers,:rolleyes:
Newbie here! This question is for those who have visited the Fort or are familiar with the lot selection process. I made reservations several months ago for a premium pet loop. Hubby and I took a ride to FW a few times in the last month to look around and scope out the area. We are now 3 months out and have selected a few ideal spots. We have a 42 ft. 5th wheel and Dually Truck crew cab with 8ft. bed so a big space would be needed and ease of backing in helps also. I called yesterday to ask if I can reserve a spot and they said not until 10 days out? Is this correct? Has anyone requested a loop and spot and got what they requested? My husband is really concerned with the backing in and a few spots would work really well..so just wondering if we can get what we request? (if it's available of course).

The Fort doesn't guarantee any particular site but many of us have had good luck getting the sites or loops we want using the sample fax form at this link (all info is in the post):

You should put in any specific sites but I would also add some general information so the site planner will know what site characteristics you want in the event your specific sites are not available. I would also add into the reservation the size of your trailer and tow vehicle so they have a better idea of how big you are.

I called yesterday to ask if I can reserve a spot and they said not until 10 days out? Is this correct?

Hmm... interesting they told you this.  Unless something has changed very recently (which I doubt) it's not correct.  You can request a site as Keith mentioned above, but you can't reserve a particular site, and requests aren't guaranteed.  Maybe what the CM meant was not to send your request in until 10 days out?

In any case, usually best to either give them a handful of your preferred sites to pick from, or even better just tell them what you need in a site.  If you ask for a specific site, and they can't assign it to you (because someone is already in it), they're going to just wing it and pick another for you.  If you tell them what you're looking for (close to comfort station or bus stop, size, not near the canal, etc.) they've got a lot more options when it comes to picking something that will work for you.

Worst case if you get there and the site you're assigned just doesn't work for you, call/go to the front desk and ask for a different site.  Just keep in mind that if it's a busy check in day/time of year, the options might be limited. Although there are more premium sites than anything else, and not a lot are truly "bad" so you'll likely be just fine.

Good luck, enjoy your stay and WELCOME to Fort Fiends!!

I'm in a 42' fifth wheel and am pulling with a crew cab/long bed truck, so I know your concern. Make sure they know you're in a 42' rig - that it's marked in your notes or something. I've both requested sites/loops and have let the Fort pick. They've yet to put me into a spot that I couldn't get into. We have been on Preferred (200 loop) and Premium sites (600, 800, and 1300 loops).

I haven't done full hookup sites, but it sounds like they're generally more parkable than in the Preferred loops.

You can do it! :D

• 1 month later...

Hello DisneyWonderWoman-

we have the exact same equipment as you.  42ft fifthwheel pulled by 8ft long bed crew cab dually.  We are taking our first trip to trip to the Fort with it second week of November and have also reserved a premium pet loop.  I was curious if you could share your list of scoped out sites that looked acceptable to you??  We have watched loop videos on Youtube and looked through the Fort Wilderness site app, but its still so difficult to get an idea of which sites to request by fax when its time. 

We have only been to the Fort once before, 3 years ago prior to owning our own trailer.  We rented a travel trailer from one on the local companies and had it delivered to the Fort 300 loop. Unfortunately we did not have very much time to explore the fort and become familiar with any other loops.   Looking forward to exploring this time!!

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks