Is the Great Movie Ride Going to Close Permanently? CONFIRMED

Yes, the rumors are out there.  Here is the latest from chipandco.com and wdwmagic.com.

http://www.chipandco.com/great-movie-ride-hollywood-studios-closing-permanently-271677/

Rumor has it Disney’s iconic attraction The Great Movie Ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios may be permanently closing it doors?

A forum post was shared on WDW Magic that Disney has chosen not to renew TCM’s  sponsorship of The Great Movie Ride. The sponsorship is set to come to an end in 2018. It’s still unknown that will become of the classic attraction or the structure which opened May 1, 1989.

GMR

Disney’s plans likely involve the development of the upcoming Toy Story and Star Wars Lands. However, it is unknown exactly what will become of the structure or if it will remain at all. As of right now these are simply rumors swirling and there has been no confirmation from Disney.

article credit: wdwmagic.com, chipandco.com and Kristen Kelly

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm happy about the new attraction. Love Mickey Mouse, he needs to be around more...... but!! they are using the new awful styling on Mickey instead of the classic styling. Hate that part!!

This is untrue.  The witch animatronic has broken and imagineers are fixing it with the clever placement of strobe lights.

Please tell me they aren't simply doing an overlay of Ellen for a Guardians ride at Epcot, right?  That would be the slowest, longest "thrill" ride ever.  LOL.  More like Guardians of the Nursing Home

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

What??  First Ellen, now this?  I'm beginning to think Disney has something against naps.    

Ellen is leaving???

i just took my DD on it for the first time this last trip.   She's going to heart broken.    

The TGMR is a great crowd control ride. And one of our families must do rides at HS.  I would hate to see it go. 

I don't buy the "permanently closing" rumor.

The TCM sponsorship is relatively new- this attraction existed and operated without a sponsorship for most of its existence, and, like a lot of WDW attractions, it doesn't need a sponsorship to continue operating.

That said, it is very outdated and something does need to be done.

But, it's a good attraction, and there is no way they can afford to touch it before they get the new Toy Story and Star Wars lands up and running.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them give it some kind of a big re-boot, but I don't see them closing it permanently, and I definitely don't expect them to do anything to affect its operation until a year or so after all the new Toy Story and Star Wars stuff is operating.

TCD

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don't buy the "permanently closing" rumor.

The TCM sponsorship is relatively new- this attraction existed and operated without a sponsorship for most of its existence, and, like a lot of WDW attractions, it doesn't need a sponsorship to continue operating.

That said, it is very outdated and something does need to be done.

But, it's a good attraction, and there is no way they can afford to touch it before they get the new Toy Story and Star Wars lands up and running.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them give it some kind of a big re-boot, but I don't see them closing it permanently, and I definitely don't expect them to do anything to affect its operation until a year or so after all the new Toy Story and Star Wars stuff is operating.

TCD

It'll become a walk on ride with no standby lines once those two lands open up.

20 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Ellen is leaving???

That's the word on the street - 

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

...there is no way they can afford to touch it before they get the new Toy Story and Star Wars lands up and running.

TCD

Agreed.  

They could turn it into a "Star Wars for Dummies" ride...  For the few of us who are not Star Wars savvy, and can't understand and keep the movies in the correct order, Disney can re-do all of the current scenes and remake them into Star Wars scenes that place them in the correct order.   The stand-by line for that would probably be out by the Starbucks.

This is untrue.  The witch animatronic has broken and imagineers are fixing it with the clever placement of strobe lights.

13 hours ago, articfox676 said:

Speaking of toy story where does the construction stand?  All I hear about or see pictures of is Star Wars. Are they doing any construction?

The slinky roller coaster track is being installed now.

Our family likes the GMR.  It also is a place to beat the heat with the que mostly indoors as well as the ride.  I hope the attraction does not go away, as there is little else to thematically tie "Hollywood Studios" with classic films.  Otherwise, Disney could just change the name from "Hollywood Studios" to "Pixar Studio Land" or "Star Wars Picture Land" and be done with it.  I wouldn't be the first time Disney changed the name.

5 hours ago, djsamuel said:

The slinky roller coaster track is being installed now.

Yep! These are from a post on WDW News Today on 5/28...

With Pandora now open, the next themed land opening at Walt Disney World will be Toy Story Land. With the opening date to be announced at the D23 Expo in July, major progress on the land’s headlining attraction was made this week…

Photos by @bioreconstruct

Photos by @bioreconstruct

As you can see, a fair amount of the roller coaster track for the Slinky Dog Dash attraction has already been installed. Photos were taken by @bioreconstruct on twitter.

Photos by @bioreconstruct

Photos by @bioreconstruct

It is speculated that Toy Story Land will open in 2018 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/05/photos-coaster-track-installed-slinky-dog-dash-toy-story-land-hollywood-studios/

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

We finally got to see the cowboy shootout this last visit.

We always end up in the gangster one, so we asked to get in the cowboy car.

We usually ask but apparently it's got to be busy enough that they're running both shows, otherwise it's only the gangster.

1 minute ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Yep! These are from a post on WDW News Today on 5/28...

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/05/photos-coaster-track-installed-slinky-dog-dash-toy-story-land-hollywood-studios/

We usually ask but apparently it's got to be busy enough that they're running both shows, otherwise it's only the gangster.

I think it was TCD that told me you have to be in the cars in the first section to take you to the cowboy shootout.

I'm surprised it would ever be that slow.

13 hours ago, kadancer said:

I did not even know there was a cowboy version - now I want to see it.  If GMR closes, what will be the "icon" that draws crowds into the park.  

On either ride you see both scenes.

The cowboy version you ride thru the gangster scene into the old west where you stop. There is a shootout and you get a cowboy (we had a cowgirl) robber steal the ride.

The gangster version you stop at the shoot out scene, get the gangster criminal stealing the ride, then you ride thru the old west.

On 6/9/2017 at 8:00 AM, Travisma said:

On either ride you see both scenes.

The cowboy version you ride thru the gangster scene into the old west where you stop. There is a shootout and you get a cowboy (we had a cowgirl) robber steal the ride.

The gangster version you stop at the shoot out scene, get the gangster criminal stealing the ride, then you ride thru the old west.

I am going to try to catch the cowboy shootout this summer.