Is the Great Movie Ride Going to Close Permanently? CONFIRMED

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm happy about the new attraction. Love Mickey Mouse, he needs to be around more...... but!! they are using the new awful styling on Mickey instead of the classic styling. Hate that part!!

This is untrue.  The witch animatronic has broken and imagineers are fixing it with the clever placement of strobe lights.

Please tell me they aren't simply doing an overlay of Ellen for a Guardians ride at Epcot, right?  That would be the slowest, longest "thrill" ride ever.  LOL.  More like Guardians of the Nursing Home

53 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I don't see why they would want to move the entrance at all. Mickey and Minnie are movie characters which fits just fine with the Chinese Theater. Just change the name and re-theme the interior and their done.

Agreed. 

But, I'm not as sure as the vlogger hat they will keep the Chinese Theater façade. It's telling to me that they use the Tower of Terror as the icon for DHS on WDW merchandise.  Plus, they had the theater façade hidden by that big hat for over a decade.  They are reinventing DHS, it seems like a change of the focal point of the park would be a big part of that.

TCD

On 8/4/2017 at 10:08 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

Agreed. 

But, I'm not as sure as the vlogger hat they will keep the Chinese Theater façade. It's telling to me that they use the Tower of Terror as the icon for DHS on WDW merchandise.  Plus, they had the theater façade hidden by that big hat for over a decade.  They are reinventing DHS, it seems like a change of the focal point of the park would be a big part of that.

TCD

I tend to agree.  I wonder if the licensing deal with the theater prevented them from making it a (logical) focal point in the past - that was one of the rumors around the BAHat anyway. But yeah, they've been using ToT on merch for ages now. Merchandise would seem to be a pretty good indicator of what's going on, since it takes a good bit of advanced planning and $ to produce.

30 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I'm happy about the new attraction. Love Mickey Mouse, he needs to be around more...... but!! they are using the new awful styling on Mickey instead of the classic styling. Hate that part!!

I agree. I still don't understand why they felt the need to change the animation style. It looks cheap, and I don't like it either.

TCD

Add me to the group of not liking that Mickey.  They seem to have more adult style jokes also, not geared to the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse age.  Speaking of which the old Mickey animation is still around, they have a new show Mickey and the Roadster Racers.

W loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and the Roadster Racers but will not watch the other Mickey annimation, he's not a fan of that weird style.

WBI

Another thing I've been hearing about the new Mickey ride is that it will not have animatronics- it is going to rely on screens and projections.  I thought that was unlikely, but then I was reminded that the entire new land of Pandora has a grand total of two animatronics in it (and one of them is just a big blue guy floating in a vat in the queue- not even part of the ride).

So, I hope all of you Great Movie Ride haters love driving past big projection screens of bad animation.  Because that's what you're getting here.

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Another thing I've been hearing about the new Mickey ride is that it will not have animatronics- it is going to rely on screens and projections.  I thought that was unlikely, but then I was reminded that the entire new land of Pandora has a grand total of two animatronics in it (and one of them is just a big blue guy floating in a vat in the queue- not even part of the ride).

I am not in favor of this.  I get the whole projections and screens thing, and I know Disney does some cool things along those lines (like the castle show) but it comes across as kind of lame for an attraction to be just slowly riding past some screens.  The least they can do is throw a few animatronic Mickeys in the mix.

Just had a funny thought... how long before the munchkins from the Oz segment turn up on eBay?

I also am not a fan of the new Mickey animation. As for the screens if they managed to pull off good 3D effects it may be okay, think about the end of The Muppets when Mickey's right in your face it looks pretty cool.

My cousin said the same thing. She said that is the only announcement from D23 that she really hated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

I also am not a fan of the new Mickey animation. As for the screens if they managed to pull off good 3D effects it may be okay, think about the end of The Muppets when Mickey's right in your face it looks pretty cool.

As long as they can do the 3D without the need for glasses. For many of us with corrective lenses you either see clearly but get poor 3D by wearing both sets of glasses or get good 3D and everything is fuzzy.

I will say that the use of projections and screens in the Na'vi River Journey ride is well done.  There are some screens that appear to be very well done 3D, and no glasses are needed.  But, that ride is very short.  Much shorter than the Great Movie Ride. I don't think they could get away with that on a longer ride.  Also, this new animation style doesn't seem like it would convert well to 3D.

TCD

• 6 months later...

this came out of D23 Japan this weekend...

mmn02398402938fi-624x351.jpg

Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway Opens Next Year at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Thomas Smith

by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

Our first Mickey-themed ride-through attraction, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, is opening in 2019 – and we have new, exciting details to share!

During D23 Expo Japan, Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, announced the opening year and showed how we’re pulling out all of the stops to make Mickey’s first attraction an unbelievable experience for everyone. Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will feature a new catchy theme song created especially for the attraction as well as a new experience that defies logic that we’re calling 2 ½-D. No glasses required.

On the attraction, the fun begins when you see the premiere of a new cartoon short with Mickey and Minnie getting ready for a picnic. As they head out, they drive alongside a train and find out that the engineer is Goofy. Then, one magical moment lets you step into the movie and on Goofy’s train for a wacky, wild ride.

Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will put you inside the wacky and unpredictable world of a Mickey Mouse Cartoon Short where you’re the star and anything can happen. And for the first time, we shared a preview of what the cars will look like when you board the attraction for a zany, out-of-control adventure filled with surprising twists and turns.

The teams helping create the attraction are currently working with partners at Disney Television Animation—the people who create the popular and award-winning Mickey Shorts – to keep the characters and story authentic and to make sure you’re able to step through the movie screen and join Mickey and his friends like never before.

Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for future updates on the Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/d23j-update-mickey-and-minnies-runaway-railway/?CMP=SOC-DPFY18Q2wo201180022A

9 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

The picture looks like the older style Mickey and Minnie as compared to the newer crap they have been pushing.

We can only hope....

• 4 months later...

Here is some new concept art and pictures released today, enjoy!

http://chipandco.com/new-concept-art-and-details-for-mickey-and-minnies-runaway-railway-313181/

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway

Disney has just released some fun news today! We now have new Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway concept art and more details to share. This new attraction coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be the first attraction based on our favorite mice where guests will step through the movie screen.

mame78u4iyhkjh59861.jpg?resize=700%2C394

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is based on Mickey Mouse cartoon shorts aired on the Disney Channel. Disney let us know that this attraction will literally put guests inside that cartoon world with Mickey and Minnie. You can expect the unexpected as no rules apply and where anything can happen and anything does.

Runaway-Railway-1.jpg?resize=700%2C431

We also got a peek at the 2-foot long physical miniature train car model that will be apart of the attraction. “With Goofy as your train engineer what could possibly go wrong?”

Runaway-Railway-3.jpg?resize=636%2C368

The ride experience is being called “2 1/2 D”, which means no glasses are required. Walt Disney Imagineer Kevin Rafferty said teams are inventing new technologies that turn the flat world of a colorful cartoon short into a “dimensional display of amazingness.”

djkhfi8489690903.jpg?resize=395%2C600

“This is one of the boldest…most impossible things I’ve ever worked on in almost 40 years of being an Imagineer. And you know what? That’s what I love about it. Well, that, and Mickey,” Kevin said. “This is not going to be a small attraction, it’s going to be game-changing.”

Mickey-Minnies-Runaway-Railway.jpg?resiz

Disney animators will be in charge of the style of the Mickey and Minnie themed attraction and will include more hidden Mickey’s than any other ride.

Disney has announced that Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will make its grand debut in 2019.

article excerpt courtesy of chipandco.com and full article link is located above.

pictures courtesy of chipandco.com and disney

• 9 months later...

Rumor has it that the opening date will be delayed...

It appears that Disney could miss the “Fall 2019” projected opening date for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway at Walt Disney World. Sources indicate to us that the opening has been pushed back from Fall 2019 to early 2020 at this time.

Disney has been somewhat hesitant to loudly announce “Fall 2019”. Disney’s latest blog post about Hollywood Studios’ 30th Anniversary failed to mention a date or even a season. If you’re looking for an official opening date, you have to venture into a page on Disney’s website that lists the various projects Disney has planned for the resort. Here’s a screenshot of that page as of this morning.

All official information from Disney still indicates a Fall 2019 opening timeframe. As such, the information contained in this post about a 2020 opening timeframe should be treated as unofficial unless and until Disney confirms it.

http://blogmickey.com/2019/04/rumor-mickey-and-minnies-runaway-railway-opening-date-pushed-to-2020/?fbclid=IwAR3-OJMf6Kf32EKVAqkdDRZerr2_d_PpTvwVx9iIneYRpwhNXtaitr0WkV0

I wonder if they pulled contractors off of this attraction to work on the Star Wars stuff?  Funny how they can essentially complete a whole new section of a park and take so long on one ride... But, Star Wars is not open yet either...

10 hours ago, Duane said:

I wonder if they pulled contractors off of this attraction to work on the Star Wars stuff?  Funny how they can essentially complete a whole new section of a park and take so long on one ride... But, Star Wars is not open yet either...

I was thinking the same. Let’s be real no one is booking a trip just for this ride. Star Wars? Yes. Mickey rail road thingy? No.