Renovations to the All Stars Level Resorts

If you have been to the All Star Resorts lately (which I have been and it is kind of a mess in places), you know that it is under a major refurb.  Here are some pictures of what it is going to look like when it is finished.

http://www.chipandco.com/new-photos-pop-century-room-renovations-shows-major-changes-271492/

Disney’s Pop Century Resort is currently going through a major room refurbishment. Be prepared for a total redesign of the rooms that is completely different from the standard Value Resort room set up that everyone has become used to.

We have pictures from 3 different refurbished rooms from building 8 at Pop Century. A huge thank you to Stacie Meyer who has let us share her photos with you!

Pop Century Refurb Room

From these pictures you can see that carpeting is a thing of the past replaced by laminate floors.

Pop Century Refurb Room

Another major change is the bed configuration. A standard room will now have a Queen sized bed with a pull-down full sized bed similar to those at Art of Animation.

Pop Century Refurb Room

This photo shows the chest of drawers, chairs for the table when the Murphey bed is put away, and the glass front fridge. Caffeine addicts will rejoice to know that I am also hearing rumors of coffee-makers in the rooms as well.

image-7-451x600.jpeg

Here is a photo of a King bed room. It looks like these will not have a pull-down Murphy bed. Although the decor is not complete, the pop-art Mickey hanging above the bed hints at a more modern design.

Floor-Plan-451x600.jpeg

From the punch sheet we can see the bathroom configuration. I am assuming that is where the closet will be located. It also looks like the shower will have sliding doors. The bathroom itself will possibly have a pocket door which will make it feel like a larger space.

Work began on the rooms March of this year and currently the focus is on the 80s/90s section of the resort. The refurbishment schedule I have seen shows that it’s taking 20 days to complete each room. I would guess that they are working south to north and ending in the 50s building. The refurbishment is scheduled to be complete in May of 2018 but I would assume guests will start being able to stay in some of the completed rooms starting this summer with some Preferred rooms having availability this Fall. Remember that until this refurbishment is fully complete only requests can be made to stay in a newly refurbished room.

article and photo credits: chipandco.com and Sarah Phillips

13 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

So they're turning the Value resorts into dorms? No thanks.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

12 hours ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

Not a fan right now but maybe it will look better once it is decorated. Kinda looks like a labor and delivery recovering room.

8 minutes ago, keith_h said:

More of a "I shop at IKEA" look to me. Whoever they have doing their decorating design sure seems to lack any imagination. I thought the new DVC cabins at Wilderness Lodge were sterile and blah. This takes it to a new level.

LOL.

I think all of you are right.  It would be one thing if they were using quality materials, but these do come off looking like a cheap HGTV house flip.  All of that stuff is going to get scratched and dirty real fast, and it's not going to look so good then.

TCD

6 minutes ago, keith_h said:

More of a "I shop at IKEA" look to me. Whoever they have doing their decorating design sure seems to lack any imagination. I thought the new DVC cabins at Wilderness Lodge were sterile and blah. This takes it to a new level.

The look isn't bad for an off property major chain.  

We just stayed in a renovated Hyatt Place, and the common areas and the room a similar decor.  Functional, but stark.

That is fine for business travelers, and a non themed hotel.

But for something at an on property location it's not a good look.

33 minutes ago, Travisma said:

That is fine for business travelers, and a non themed hotel.

I wouldn't have stayed at a hotel that looked like this when I still traveled before retiring. It reminds me of a Motel 6 not a resort of any level and definitely not something of Disney's standing.

Most of the newer hotels or recently renovated ones are going with this modern/stark look.  Guess it makes the place look bigger than the old overstuffed chairs and big headboards.

We've seen similar around Disney at Hyatt Place, SpringHill Suites, Townplace Suites, and Embassy Suites. And two or three of them had the pocket doors on the bathrooms (with frosted glass inserts).

31 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Most of the newer hotels or recently renovated ones are going with this modern/stark look.  Guess it makes the place look bigger than the old overstuffed chairs and big headboards.

We've seen similar around Disney at Hyatt Place, SpringHill Suites, Townplace Suites, and Embassy Suites. And two or three of them had the pocket doors on the bathrooms (with frosted glass inserts).

I think it's also a cleanliness issue.  Hotel carpets and bedspreads are nasty.  I am not opposed to them getting rid of those.  But, I don't like all the particleboard and laminates that these hotels are using.  To me, they are trading one set of problems for another.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I think it's also a cleanliness issue.  Hotel carpets and bedspreads are nasty.  I am not opposed to them getting rid of those.  But, I don't like all the particleboard and laminates that these hotels are using.  To me, they are trading one set of problems for another.

TCD

Makes me think after a while the particle board will deteriorate and become a nesting point for bedbugs or other insect life.  But I digress.

18 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

So they're turning the Value resorts into dorms? No thanks.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

I am seeing and thinking the same thing!

I *know* someone who toured these rooms when they were inspiration rooms. He/she thought they looked a lot better when they still had the themed bedding. Now all resorts seem to be getting the fully white, sterile bedding. Even so, I like the pull down bed, the bathroom reno, and not having carpet. Hopefully they'll be able to find ways to show more of the intending theming since the beds have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like it. The white laminate looks like a dry erase board (maybe it is?). I wonder if they're going to change the All Star Family Suites. That was our most recent All Star experience. The room was worn but a refurb in a similar manner would be better than this look IMHO. Carpet may get dirty but it does muffle the sound from above if you're on a lower floor. I remember staying in a hotel somewhere and it sounded like the person above was dropping marbles on the floor throughout a good part of the night. We never could figure it out, but it was annoying. 

Just a small thing but everytime I see this post I cant help but think it so have to say it to get it out of my head. 

Pop Century is not one of the All Stars. It is a value in the same category but they are not the same or located in the same area. Ok I feel better now. 

Chipandco.com released this video of Pop Century's renovations this morning.  Check it out!    https://www.facebook.com/chipandco/

POP Century Refurbishment update video: Building 9 will officially open on July 24th and Building 7 is scheduled to open August 14th.

I got to stay in one of these on Wednesday night. I have pictures and video to share when I get home. I also used my iphone and laptop has reference items for sizing in places. We really liked the rooms. Both beds are queens and using the exact same mattress.