9 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Don't know if you followed this thread, but repairs like this aren't cheap. They also rewired numerous loops recently and added the wireless internet network. 

I don't like the high prices either, but add that to the demand for camp sites and the prices rise.

http://www.fortfiends.net/topic/19032-did-i-miss-something/

The subject of how much upkeep at the Fort compares to the other resorts has been kicked around before.

The only real way to know would be to see their bottom line profit margins and I highly doubt they are just lying around for outsiders to see.

Just looking at it from the outside, I would guess that overall the Fort SHOULD be less expensive to maintain in a day to day situation.

No housekeeping per say, no towels/bedding to clean (except the cabins and the users cover those with the high cost of renting cabins).

Minimal A/C coverage compared to all the cooled rooms and common areas of a resort.

Lot less lighting.

Lot less painting, carpeting, etc.

Fort has more grounds to maintain, but they aren't nearly as landscaped as most resorts.

Less staff

Electricity usage may be high, but I bet it's still less than a resort.

The Fort does have more utilities underground to repair, but if they were properly maintained those costs would be less than a burst pipe closing down and entire wing of a hotel and the costs of drying out or replacing carpeting, furniture, etc.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know I'm a complainer but I just went to book 7 nights during spring break for March 2018 and the premium sites were $175 a night.  WTF?????   This is starting to get out of hand. Then the best part

Welcome to capitalism....supply and demand....people from all over the country (and world) flock to WDW to spend money. You can't blame Disney for wanting to make $ for their shareholders. I wish they

With all due respect.  We are talking about the Fort. Not other campgrounds.  I know this is a touchy subject, based on several posts here,  but the fort keeps raising their prices and

We go to the Fort because it's the Fort.  We'll stay a couple weeks.  Then move outside the Fort for a couple or three months with our AP's.  Our kids and grandkids come to stay while we are at the Fort.  So we save them the cost of staying on property (yup, it's a tight fit...lol).  We also have two dogs.  This system works well for us (probably because we are retired) but it may not be for everyone.   A nice air bnb off property might do the same thing!  But would surely be lacking Chip and Dale, campfires,  Tri Circle D, hayrides, archery and pony rides.  Gotta go with whatever works for you!

6 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Just out of curiosity I looked up 7 nights at the fort during march 2018 in a premium site.  And 7 nights at ASMusic for the same days.  With tax 

Fort =$196.85/ night

ASMusic=$ 181.48/ night. 

I can't believe it's cheaper to stay at a resort hotel than in your own RV.  

I know it's a lifestyle choice but does it get to a point when it's just not worth it???

This would really depend on how many you have in your family going and how many of those are adults.

I put in the week that Drew has spring break which happens to coincidence with mine. We will let him bring a friend along. So we will have 4 adults and 2 children for the room.

Total costs for each room only booking would be:

A premium site is $1378.16

A family suite at ASMUSIC is $2754.68

37 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

This would really depend on how many you have in your family going and how many of those are adults.

I put in the week that Drew has spring break which happens to coincidence with mine. We will let him bring a friend along. So we will have 4 adults and 2 children for the room.

Exactly, The FORT would accommodate 10 which it should. That has always been my gripe with many other campgrounds they're priced for 2 people. 

On 7/3/2017 at 9:49 PM, Starbuc71 said:

As much as I love camping, and I love camping at the fort, I think it's getting too much. Not sure if we will sell the camper. I know a ton of you will chime in that the fort is not the only campground in the county, but living an hour and a half away, we were spoiled.  We leave for Pigeon Forge on Friday for a beautiful campground with cement pads, fire pits and beautiful grills for $45 a night

What camp ground do you use we are looking for one for this summer

42 minutes ago, David monte said:

What camp ground do you use we are looking for one for this summer

We went to a place called up the Creek.  What a great campground. They only allow TT, 5ers and MH.  Nice and quiet and close to town. There is a trolley stop right in the park. One of the best campgrounds we have been at

3 hours ago, JustDucky said:

We go to the Fort because it's the Fort.  We'll stay a couple weeks.  Then move outside the Fort for a couple or three months with our AP's.  Our kids and grandkids come to stay while we are at the Fort.  So we save them the cost of staying on property (yup, it's a tight fit...lol).  We also have two dogs.  This system works well for us (probably because we are retired) but it may not be for everyone.   A nice air bnb off property might do the same thing!  But would surely be lacking Chip and Dale, campfires,  Tri Circle D, hayrides, archery and pony rides.  Gotta go with whatever works for you!

Unfortunately a lot of us are not in the same situation as you being retired and can afford to stay at the fort for a long period of time. I wish I could be you...lol i'm glad a lot of people on here are starting to see it my way and noticing the prices are getting out of hand. I actually got my $175 a night deposit back  because we sold our camper. As some of you know, we only live an hour and a half away and would visit the fort frequently. Between having to book a reservation a year out for a weekend nowadays and the high prices, it just got to be too much.  Storing the camper for a large amount and only using it three times a year was not justifiable in my book. To some camping three times a year is over justifiable. I'm sure with people buying RVs these days there has to be a time when they will get fed up with the prices at Walt Disney also.   The Fort is a cash cow for Walt Disney World. As stated by others they do not have to give a lot of the services amenities and pay the utilities as they do at the hotels. Kind of scary to know you can stay at a  Disney hotel cheaper than renting a concrete pad at Disney. We will miss the fort a lot. We love camping there and once there, you could definitely relax. But money is tight and there are many other places in the country then Walt Disney World for vacation.    Maybe Disney will wake up one of these days and realize they need to lower their rates in the hotels like they are giving specials for tickets now. In any business, you can't be greedy all the time   It will catch up with you. 

2 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

For us (2 adults & 1 child) it cost more to stay at the fort  $1378.16 plus  over a $1,000 to rent a TT  or $2378.17+!  

Compared to about $1,200 for a standard room at a value resort   

Also, I don't think you factored in the cost of the RV, insurance, etc into your scenario?    

Im not putting down the fort. Im putting down the prices they're charging.  But it's simple supply and demand.  the demand is high so disney can charge more.  

I would love to stay at the fort again. But when I can stay two weeks in a value resort compared to one week at the fort. It's not even close.  

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Exactly, The FORT would accommodate 10 which it should. That has always been my gripe with many other campgrounds they're priced for 2 people. 

Average household size in the US is 2.58 people per home. So maybe they should base their prices on 2.58 people. Lol. 

Apples and oranges in my mind. THE Fort offers more intangibles that are not $ based. Why not compare the Grand Floridan and the Allstars. They are both rooms with a bed and a television.

More than 4 people can stay

My pups stay with me

My own bed

Parking at my front door.

41 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

Apples and oranges in my mind. THE Fort offers more intangibles that are not $ based. Why not compare the Grand Floridan and the Allstars. They are both rooms with a bed and a television.

My pups stay with me

My own bed

Well I would not say it's an apples to oranges comparison at all.    But trying to compare the grand Floridian to an all star is.

I'm glad the fort works for you.  

But for my family the intangibles at the fort don't offset the price.   

For one there is only 3 of us. 

Our dogs stay at home with my mother in law when we travel. 

Sleeping in hotel beds has never bothered me and I sleep great in most of them.

and when I'm on vacation I don't want to drive. Most of our vacations are done without a car. Especially at WDW. 

I truely hope one day the demand goes down and prices at the fort fall into what "I" consider reasonable.   And one day, when I retire, and we can go in the off season, and then I'm sure I'll be back at the fort.

I don't mind paying a premium for a superior product. Which in my humble opinion the fort is. But at $198/ night for a trip in march 2018 it's just not worth it.  

45 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

My pups stay with me

My own bed

For me $175/ night plus tax is to much to pay.  How much is too much for you?

Apples to oranges is an absolutely appropriate analogy.  They both offer different amenities and cater to different markets.

Economics dictate price. Laws of supply and demand. If everybody thought as you, that the price wasn't worth it, the Fort would be empty. That is not the case.

Value is subjective. 

1 hour ago, Starbuc71 said:

Unfortunately a lot of us are not in the same situation as you being retired and can afford to stay at the fort for a long period of time. I wish I could be you...lol i'm glad a lot of people on here are starting to see it my way and noticing the prices are getting out of hand. I actually got my $175 a night deposit back  because we sold our camper. As some of you know, we only live an hour and a half away and would visit the fort frequently. Between having to book a reservation a year out for a weekend nowadays and the high prices, it just got to be too much.  Storing the camper for a large amount and only using it three times a year was not justifiable in my book. To some camping three times a year is over justifiable. I'm sure with people buying RVs these days there has to be a time when they will get fed up with the prices at Walt Disney also.   The Fort is a cash cow for Walt Disney World. As stated by others they do not have to give a lot of the services amenities and pay the utilities as they do at the hotels. Kind of scary to know you can stay at a  Disney hotel cheaper than renting a concrete pad at Disney. We will miss the fort a lot. We love camping there and once there, you could definitely relax. But money is tight and there are many other places in the country then Walt Disney World for vacation.    Maybe Disney will wake up one of these days and realize they need to lower their rates in the hotels like they are giving specials for tickets now. In any business, you can't be greedy all the time   It will catch up with you. 

There's a trade off.  We are also OLD!  lol.  Don't try to catch up too fast.  I did not know you live just 1.5 hours away.  I would certainly follow your line of thinking if that was us and we only used our trailer 3 times a year.  We live in Arizona.  If we are going to make a trip to The Fort and WDW,  we had better make it count.  We avoid holidays and go during times many others don't.  So we can drop our prices to $104/night in some cases.  Still pricey but not $175.  Plus we stop many places along the way and spend 3-5 months on the road.  Yes, it's great being retired but again, we are OLD.  Our feet, backs, etc. don't last the way they used to.  So do the fun things and camp other places besides Disney.  Certainly Florida has a myriad of attractions that warrant a closer look!  We have been keen on looking at many of them.  I have a particular fondness for manatees so our next visit will include a stop at Homosassa Springs.  But maybe you know of some better places being a Florida resident.  Here in Arizona we don't see the beach very often...lol.

2 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Economics dictate price. Laws of supply and demand. If everybody thought as you, that the price wasn't worth it, the Fort would be empty. That is not the case.

Value is subjective. 

Agree 100%.   To me $175/ night is too much.  And I'm not the only one. 

That's why I asked you how much is to much for you?

I don't want anyone to misunderstand. I love the fort. It's the place I wish i could stay ever time we go to WDW.     Sometimes when we are staying at another resort I'll head to the fort and just walk around and soak it all in.    I've been known to take the boat from the MK and have a beer, all by myself, on the porch.  I especially love it at christmas time.    I'll grab a beer (or two) at the settlement trading post and walk to the meadows rec area and back.    And since I don't own a RV I have to rent one which costs us even more.  Sadly the Fort is just out of my budget.   I also loved our Disney cruise but it too is out of our budget. 

3 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Also, I don't think you factored in the cost of the RV, insurance, etc into your scenario?

I usually leave trailer cost out of the equations I make as the TT will be getting used for a lot of travel regardless of our destination. For us it has largely supplanted hotels when we travel. It is also used frequently during the nicer months (Sept. - May) for camping.

I do agree the rate for a campsite at the Fort has gotten out of hand. We decided after our last trip that we would stop with the idea of an annual pilgrimage to WDW and it would move out to every couple of years. In its place we are going to be making trips similar to our one in May to Yellowstone and Black Hills. We were out for 17 days and the camping site costs were about the same as 7 nights at the Fort. Since we eat more meals at the trailer when traveling than we do at WDW we cut our food costs by more than half. Sadly I think the cost differences will only increase as I don't see Disney dropping their prices as long as there is demand and demand seems to be going up.

We live about 2 hours from the Fort, no kids in school here so we can go anytime and do try to go when the rates are a little lower.  Is the Fort expensive, yes. Would I pay Fort prices at any other campground, no. Do we spend less time at the Fort than we would like because of the cost and how hard it is to get reservations, yes. Will we continue to go to the Fort, yes. We have a TT and use it not only at the Fort but throughout Florida and are planning some longer trips out of state. So we would have the trailer, ins, upkeep and so on no matter if we went to the Fort or not. For us it's worth it, we enjoy the Fort, we can take our dog, friends, have all of our stuff I prefer staying in the trailer over a hotel. We also cook a lot of our meals while we are at the fort so that save us money on dinning. 

4 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

For us (2 adults & 1 child) it cost more to stay at the fort  $1378.16 plus  over a $1,000 to rent a TT  or $2378.17+!  

Compared to about $1,200 for a standard room at a value resort   

Im not putting down the fort. Im putting down the prices they're charging.  But it's simple supply and demand.  the demand is high so disney can charge more.  

I would love to stay at the fort again. But when I can stay two weeks in a value resort compared to one week at the fort. It's not even close.  

Going with the rental we had last time we went, our cost to stay at the Fort would be  $2428.16. If we brought our own camper the price I mentioned above really would not change significantly.  Our camper is paid off, the insurance for the it runs us roughly $100 for six months. 

Even if only four of us went, let's pretend we take Drew and a friend.  The cost for 4 adults in a standard value room for the week would be $1502.74. That would be close enough to consider not towing the camper down. Of course in my case all of this is hypothetical, as Steve is not as much of Disney fan as me. 

1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I don't want anyone to misunderstand. I love the fort. It's the place I wish i could stay ever time we go to WDW.     Sometimes when we are staying at another resort I'll head to the fort and just walk around and soak it all in.    I've been known to take the boat from the MK and have a beer, all by myself, on the porch.  I especially love it at christmas time.    I'll grab a beer (or two) at the settlement trading post and walk to the meadows rec area and back.    And since I don't own a RV I have to rent one which costs us even more.  Sadly the Fort is just out of my budget.   I also loved our Disney cruise but it too is out of our budget. 

I know how much you like the Fort, but as Grumpy pointed one of the greatest benefits of the fort is they allow 10 people to stay on the site. I think of the families we have here on FF who might not be able to afford to stay at Disney World if that was not the case. 

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

I usually leave trailer cost out of the equations I make as the TT will be getting used for a lot of travel regardless of our destination. For us it has largely supplanted hotels when we travel. It is also used frequently during the nicer months (Sept. - May) for camping.

42 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

We have a TT and use it not only at the Fort but throughout Florida and are planning some longer trips out of state. So we would have the trailer, ins, upkeep and so on no matter if we went to the Fort or not. 

Not to be argumentative but to get an accurate price of what it costs you to camp at the fort you have to take into account the cost of the RV.  Even if you use it at other campgrounds. 

Lets say you buy a TT for $24,000. We will leave out insurance, finance interest, if you got a loan. wear and tear on your truck  extra gas to tow it. Taxes. Etc.  say you keep the trailer for 10 years and sell it for $8000. (Nada depreciation of a 28' Keystone bunk house) And use it for 19 nights per year at various campgrounds including Disney. (The national average is 19 days/ year).  The TT cost you $84/ day to use.  And if you financed your TT and added in the extras of insurance, etc your average would be closer to $100/ day to use.  Plus the cost of the campground.  

I know a lot of people on this forum use it more than that. I just used the national averages. 

59 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I know how much you like the Fort, but as Grumpy pointed one of the greatest benefits of the fort is they allow 10 people to stay on the site. I think of the families we have here on FF who might not be able to afford to stay at Disney World if that was not the case. 

Great point.  And absolutely correct. 

For those members with bigger families the fort is definitely more affordable. As you said when you have more than 4 people you have to get a family suite or more than one room to accommodate everyone.    I have 4 brothers and 3 sisters and there's no way my mom and dad could have taken us on our annual family vacations without the TT and the tent. 

Heck, if it wasn't for our TT and the boys tent we would have been vacationing in the backyard.   Lol!!!

10 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I don't want anyone to misunderstand. I love the fort. It's the place I wish i could stay ever time we go to WDW.     Sometimes when we are staying at another resort I'll head to the fort and just walk around and soak it all in.    I've been known to take the boat from the MK and have a beer, all by myself, on the porch.  I especially love it at christmas time.    I'll grab a beer (or two) at the settlement trading post and walk to the meadows rec area and back. 

Ray, sounds like a great plan!!!!!!!! We will be at Saratoga Springs over the Christmas rush, we will need to get Jason and meet up at the porch for that beer!!!!!

Welcome to capitalism....supply and demand....people from all over the country (and world) flock to WDW to spend money. You can't blame Disney for wanting to make $ for their shareholders. I wish they would slow down on the price increases, but it is their right to run it the way they see fit. Disney has always been a place for those with disposable income. Some of our friends have saved for years to go one time. Disney and the Fort still hold value for us. It is a personal decision everyone has to make. We could stay for free 6 miles north of the Magic Kingdom on every trip, but we choose to stay at the Fort. That may or may not change with economics. Nobody is forcing us to go spend money there.

Also we are campers...not just Fort campers. We would own a camper if the Fort was bulldozed into Bay Lake. So the cost of the RV never factors into my decision to stay at the Fort. There are plenty of places to camp on the cheap if you desire. There is also plenty of places to camp for not so cheap, including some that are close to Fort prices without half of the benefits. RV'ing can be a shoestring budget affair or downright absurd depending on how you approach it.

Honestly, sometimes I am amazed that the prices are not higher considering all of the ancillary services that are present at WDW. They run their own water plants, power plant, trash collection, utility company, fire dept, security, grass cutting, engineering, transportation, and so on. None of those generate a dime of revenue, but the operation budgets grow every year.