9 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I will say they have some serious shortages in Bus Drivers and housekeeping. That is part of the reason they have been testing the offer to get a gift card for so much per day in lieu of room cleaning. 

I haven't heard of this.   So if I opt out of having my room cleaned one day they will give me a gift card?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know I'm a complainer but I just went to book 7 nights during spring break for March 2018 and the premium sites were $175 a night.  WTF?????   This is starting to get out of hand. Then the best part

Welcome to capitalism....supply and demand....people from all over the country (and world) flock to WDW to spend money. You can't blame Disney for wanting to make $ for their shareholders. I wish they

With all due respect.  We are talking about the Fort. Not other campgrounds.  I know this is a touchy subject, based on several posts here,  but the fort keeps raising their prices and

37 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I haven't heard of this.   So if I opt out of having my room cleaned one day they will give me a gift card?

Only if the test is still going and the hotel you are at is current part of the test. I do not know which hotels are currently, if any still, participating. The last one I saw was at Pop. 

15 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Wonder if the immigration stuff is hitting DISNEY with help leaving. Heard this morning that at AOA the dinning room was not being kept as clean either.

Does Disney rely on undocumented workers for their janitorial services?

47 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

It has to be a 2 night stay or more, at least that's how it was at Port Orleans FQ.  It increases for each day you are there. They had a chart at check in that they looked up how much the offer was for the amount of days you stayed.

We got a $15 gift card for opting out of housekeeping for our 2 day stay.  You can still call and get fresh towels and coffee etc.  I just asked a maid for more coffee packs, and we had plenty of towels from the pool.

But what i've seen posted the last couple of days for PO is they have dropped the price to $10.  Maybe they are seeing how low they can go before no one takes the offer.  They also give you a hand out where after 3? days they come in and change linens and towels, and after 6 they clean the entire room.

14 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Does Disney rely on undocumented workers for their janitorial services?

Of course not.

I haven't posted on this thread, because I thought there was too much Disney bashing already on this board. 

But, it's ridiculous to try and defend Disney's blatant cost cutting/profit maximization by saying that they are having trouble hiring qualified workers.

Baloney.

The comfort stations at the Fort aren't cleaned properly on busy weekends because Disney has cut staff to the bare bones, and doesn't schedule anyone extra when it's busy.  And the beauty of it for Disney is that they have elaborate surge pricing that allows them to charge a premium when it's busy, and put all of that extra money right in their pockets.

It's all about the bottom line.

If you don't like it, don't come to the Fort.

TCD

21 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Of course not.

I haven't posted on this thread, because I thought there was too much Disney bashing already on this board. 

But, it's ridiculous to try and defend Disney's blatant cost cutting/profit maximization by saying that they are having trouble hiring qualified workers.

Baloney.

The comfort stations at the Fort aren't cleaned properly on busy weekends because Disney has cut staff to the bare bones, and doesn't schedule anyone extra when it's busy.  And the beauty of it for Disney is that they have elaborate surge pricing that allows them to charge a premium when it's busy, and put all of that extra money right in their pockets.

It's all about the bottom line.

If you don't like it, don't come to the Fort.

TCD

I agree with almost everything you said. 

Except the "Disney bashing".  Are we not allowed to discuss and complain about policies, rules and pricing disney has put into place?    Most people that have posted are not happy about the ever increasing prices and cuts in service.   That doesn't mean we are bashing Disney.

Most people didn't like when they took away the hola hoops.  Or removed the old mower. Where they disney bashing?  No. 

The fact is disney has raised prices and it's pushed some people out of the fort.  Or forced them to cut back. 

Does Disney have the right to do this?  Absolutely. 

And everyone has to decide what's best for their vacation dollar.  

But please don't try and shut people down by saying they are disney bashing.   We all love the Fort and Disney.  And we all want to see it prosper and grow.   

5 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I agree with almost everything you said. 

Except the "Disney bashing".  Are we not allowed to discuss and complain about policies, rules and pricing disney has put into place?    Most people that have posted are not happy about the ever increasing prices and cuts in service.   That doesn't mean we are bashing Disney.

Most people didn't like when they took away the hola hoops.  Or removed the old mower. Where they disney bashing?  No. 

The fact is disney has raised prices and it's pushed some people out of the fort.  Or forced them to cut back. 

Does Disney have the right to do this?  Absolutely. 

And everyone has to decide what's best for their vacation dollar.  

But please don't try and shut people down by saying they are disney bashing.   We all love the Fort and Disney.  And we all want to see it prosper and grow.   

I guess that I'm speaking only for myself then, because I am Disney bashing.

The constant cuts for no reason other than to boost profit margins have gone too far.

It's inexcusable to have comfort stations and dining areas that are not cleaned, especially after guest complaints.

It's inexcusable to have comfort stations where the AC is not operable for prolonged periods of time.

It's inexcusable to not have trained staff available to communicate with guests and enforce the simple rules of the campground.

It's inexcusable to charge surge pricing during busy periods and not add staff to provide basic services to the guests who paid that surge pricing.

Disney and any other company is free to make as much money as it likes.  But charging a premium price and then intentionally cheapening the product is not a good business practice. It's fraud.

I didn't post on this thread, because I admit and recognize that I've done a lot of Disney bashing on other threads.  And the few folks who still participate in this board don't like that.

Remember that time you have characterized me as having a "hissy fit" on another board?

The thing is that I still like Disney World.  But, bashing them is a waste of time.

TCD

16 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The constant cuts for no reason other than to boost profit margins have gone too far.

It's inexcusable to have comfort stations and dining areas that are not cleaned, especially after guest complaints.

It's inexcusable to have comfort stations where the AC is not operable for prolonged periods of time.

It's inexcusable to not have trained staff available to communicate with guests and enforce the simple rules of the campground.

It's inexcusable to charge surge pricing during busy periods and not add staff to provide basic services to the guests who paid that surge pricing.

Disney and any other company is free to make as much money as it likes.  But charging a premium price and then intentionally cheapening the product is not a good business practice. It's fraud.

I didn't post on this thread, because I admit and recognize that I've done a lot of Disney bashing on other threads.  And the few folks who still participate in this board don't like that.

Remember that time you have characterized me as having a "hissy fit" on another board?

The thing is that I still like Disney World.  But, bashing them is a waste of time.

TCD

Perhaps we just disagree on the term disney bashing.   None of your complaints you just posted are "Disney bashing". 

They are legitimate complaints that Disney should addresse.   And as Disney World fans, we have the right to complain about them.    And I have a feeling someone in Fort management read these forums.  And that's why I don't think discussing complaints is a waste of time  

And im sorry to those who think talking about WDW short comings shouldn't be discussed.   Just remember we discuss a lot more things we love about WDW then  ings we don't like.

Also. I don't remember characterizing you as throwing a "hissy fit".  But I humbly apologize.  

40 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Perhaps we just disagree on the term disney bashing.   None of your complaints you just posted are "Disney bashing". 

They are legitimate complaints that Disney should addresse.   And as Disney World fans, we have the right to complain about them.    And I have a feeling someone in Fort management read these forums.  And that's why I don't think discussing complaints is a waste of time  

And im sorry to those who think talking about WDW short comings shouldn't be discussed.   Just remember we discuss a lot more things we love about WDW then  ings we don't like.

Also. I don't remember characterizing you as throwing a "hissy fit".  But I humbly apologize.  

I've been complaining about how things are run at the Fort for the entire existence of this board, but the Fort has continued to decline.  The fact that someone like Starbuc71 has sold his trailer and isn't coming back is solid evidence of how bad things have gotten.

I never said that the shortcomings of the Fort should not be discussed.  But, there are folks here who will defend or make and excuse for everything Disney does.  They don't want to hear about it.  The standard response is "if you don't like it, you don't have to come."

If you want to continue to complain, have at it.  I would be amazed if anything gets better as a result.

TCD

I think we all vent here, because we are saddened about the decline of the Fort over the years, and more so the last few years.

Also we commiserate with each other because we see how management doesn't give a flying... about the downhill slide of the property and the way the "newer" campers act.

But they don't need to do a thing to fix or improve anything at the Fort, because for every one family that says enough, there are 10 waiting to pile in and take their reservation.

And it's not just the decline of maintenance at the Fort (though it's probably the worst) but at the parks and other resorts.

We stayed at the Beach Club, one of the fancy downspouts was rotted away, and the roof over the walkway had a hole in it with rain and afterwards a constant drip falling to the pavement.

Railings with a lot peeling paint at HS boat ramps.

Rides breaking down.

You all have seen and mention these and other things in the past.

It's what keeps us together, and also the fun and good times we post.

Like others and myself have posted numerous times, Disney is welcome to make as much $$ as possible, but we just hate to see Walt's visions going down the crapper.

I started this topic so I guess I can be one to blame....lol. We love Disney and we wished our family could be like TCDs one day and still enjoy the parks and the fort when my kids were in their 20s.  But, it does not look like that will happen.  As some of you know, I can come off like a complainer or a Debbie downer more often than I should. I run a large organization and am number one in my market because of a few things. Customer service being one, training employees the proper way and holding people accountable to rules and regulations......while also making a high profit margin line.  It's not rocket science.  It business 101.   Disney looks at it a bit differently. If you cut staff. You do it in a way you save money without a lack in service and the guest have no idea and don't see it. Disney cuts staff and it shows to the guest but they know that the guest that get pissed and upset will just be replaced by guest that don't care.  Look at walmart, scumbag capital of big box stores.  People don't care.   You get my point. 

I will definitely miss the fort and camping there. Maybe we could be classified as locals who can come for the day and use the pool.  NEVER.  That's not following the rules.  I make a good living but $1400 for a campsite for 7 days just can't fit in our budget anymore. TCD hooked himself up right by being able to score CM pricing at the fort since his daughter works for Disney.  Lucky you.  And also the great busdriver known as Lou back in the day would also cash in on that CM discount.  We will still eat at trails end from time to time and who knows with me. We may get another RV a long way down the road. 

Perhaps I missed a comment to this effect along the way, but was there a massive spike in prices initiated for 2018?  We are just approaching our first trip (and likely only FW trip for quite some time), so I have little basis for comparison, but we are paying $100/n for a premium site over Halloween this year.  The numbers being thrown around here surprised me and caused me to look, finding that even lower demand weeks (early November, early May, etc...) are up to over $135 per night for a premium.  That seems like a huge jump from what we are paying this year.  Is there something I'm missing?

33 minutes ago, mickeyfan0805 said:

Perhaps I missed a comment to this effect along the way, but was there a massive spike in prices initiated for 2018?  We are just approaching our first trip (and likely only FW trip for quite some time), so I have little basis for comparison, but we are paying $100/n for a premium site over Halloween this year.  The numbers being thrown around here surprised me and caused me to look, finding that even lower demand weeks (early November, early May, etc...) are up to over $135 per night for a premium.  That seems like a huge jump from what we are paying this year.  Is there something I'm missing?

Nope. Your not missing a thing.   Disney has raised prices.  The $175/ night price the original poster was talking about was for a premium site during spring break 2018 

34 minutes ago, mickeyfan0805 said:

The pricing structure at the Fort is crazy.  For 2017, rack rates for a premium site start at a minimum of $101 a night for some off times, but jump to as high as $183 a night at Christmas (these prices include the 12.5% tax that you have to pay).  It's the same exact site.  Disney charges so much more at high demand times because they can:

https://www.mousesavers.com/2017-fort-wilderness-campsites-rates-season-dates/

TCD

Walt had vision.   But he also had Roy keeping the financial house.

Iger made a comment on flat Financials today. Anyone that is a shareholder got a 4% haircut. MInd you, it wasnt about losses, just flat.

A lot of the conversation above is relative to time perspective. If you've been going to the Fort for 40 years, I'm sure the changes are many/bad/unwarranted.  If next week is y9ur first trip, and you haven't spent time on the web/forum boards, you will most likely be thrilled with a new and exciting experience. 10 years from next week, those same newbs might be complaining about service and costs.

I say just go until it's out of your budget, then forget about it and try something new. I am not sure what my breaking point is yet on going to Disney and staying at the Fort, but one day life will let me know that it's out of my reach. Untill then i will keep making memories with my family. Between Harvey and now Irma my next trip is not looking so good.

8 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

I say just go until it's out of your budget, then forget about it and try something new. I am not sure what my breaking point is yet on going to Disney and staying at the Fort, but one day life will let me know that it's out of my reach. Untill then i will keep making memories with my family. Between Harvey and now Irma my next trip is not looking so good.

Well put 

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

I agree with what you said and I don't know what the best way to fix the problem is.  Disney used to be the standard that all businesses would follow.  I don't see that happening anymore.  You can't continue to cut staff and services and raise prices.  Eventually it will catch up with you.

However, we usually travel with our young grandchildren, 6, 4, and 3.  They look at things totally different.  When we were driving the youngest was shaking because she was so excited to go to Disney.  As soon as we saw the signs, all 3 of them started screaming.  They just love Disney.  When we got to the campgrounds, they couldn't wait to get their bikes out and start riding.  They love everything Disney.  These are the kids that lived in California only 45 minutes from Disneyland.  One year they went 65 times.  Whenever you get discouraged, just look at Disney through the eyes of children.

That being said, we don't eat out, we eat at the motorhome.  It's not affordable to eat in Disney for us.  Is it expensive to stay, yes and no?  When we compare it to campgrounds near us, it's close to comparable.  We travel with a large party, usually 6 or 7 people.  Most campgrounds charge extra for that many people.  So for us, it works.  Is Christmas a ridiculous price?  Yes!!!  We are staying in a full hook at about 150 a night.  They grandkids can't wait.  When I told the 6 year old I got reservations for next Christmas, she said did you really MomMom.  I'm so excited.

Hopefully Disney is reading all of the posts on social media and will take it to heart.  Like I said, eventually it will catch up with them.

Well after I seen how they "cleaned" the bathhouses I know why they are in the shape they are. I watched the guy take a rag on the floor and use one of those grabbers(idk the proper name) to "clean" the toilets. He just kinda drug the rag around. What a lot of cleaning that was doing. He then went to the showers with another rag and was only there for maybe 3-4 mins. I didn't see him "clean" the shower stalls but I'm pretty sure how that went down. They didn't look to be scrubbed since who knows when. 

I don't make wads of money to just throw away down there so I'm sure I won't be back at the current pricing im seeing. I'm also not going to pay a premium price for subpar service even if I could afford it. 

We also just happened to stay at the AOA because of this hurricane and the dining area was clean but they couldn't keep up with replenishments with all the people. Wether that was due to volume or lack of staff idk. I do know we stood in a check in line for nearly 2 hours. When we left the check out line looked even worse.

I do not know how a common family of 4-5 can go anymore.  I seen these families walking around at the higher ends resorts like it's nothing. 

On 9/7/2017 at 11:52 PM, LONE-STAR said:

This is where we are at as well.  It's painful, as this mama has so many memories of my babies at The Fort.  It would be hard to imagine, not going anymore... but I guess you just find a new happy place and make memories there.  What's that saying, "home is where the heart is?".  As long as your with your family, there is your heart.  The Fort is just a place, so when it gets to where we can no longer afford it, or if they continue to not stay on top of the upkeep, then we'll find a new place and make new memories.   Sadly though, I think Disney will loose out as those of us who love making memories there, really love Disney... which means, we take care of it.  Don't know of many Fiends who are breaking the rules or damaging property.  Most who are passionate about Disney, behave and make Disney money by going more and taking care of the property when we're there.  More revenue and less upkeep ...win/win for Disney.  I wish they would recognize this.  

On 9/6/2017 at 11:06 PM, Starbuc71 said:

I started this topic so I guess I can be one to blame....lol. We love Disney and we wished our family could be like TCDs one day and still enjoy the parks and the fort when my kids were in their 20s.  But, it does not look like that will happen.  As some of you know, I can come off like a complainer or a Debbie downer more often than I should. I run a large organization and am number one in my market because of a few things. Customer service being one, training employees the proper way and holding people accountable to rules and regulations......while also making a high profit margin line.  It's not rocket science.  It business 101.   Disney looks at it a bit differently. If you cut staff. You do it in a way you save money without a lack in service and the guest have no idea and don't see it. Disney cuts staff and it shows to the guest but they know that the guest that get pissed and upset will just be replaced by guest that don't care.  Look at walmart, scumbag capital of big box stores.  People don't care.   You get my point. 

I will definitely miss the fort and camping there. Maybe we could be classified as locals who can come for the day and use the pool.  NEVER.  That's not following the rules.  I make a good living but $1400 for a campsite for 7 days just can't fit in our budget anymore. TCD hooked himself up right by being able to score CM pricing at the fort since his daughter works for Disney.  Lucky you.  And also the great busdriver known as Lou back in the day would also cash in on that CM discount.  We will still eat at trails end from time to time and who knows with me. We may get another RV a long way down the road. 

Ahh...I think I missed you selling your trailer.  Sorry to hear that.  Hopefully another will be in your future, sooner rather than later ^_^

I always think this will Chick-fil-A.  Rarely do I see one of their locations, that is not busy....if not, SUPER, busy.  Rarely to I walk into one of their locations where the store is not clean and the staff is not incredibly kind.  I try to send them comments from time to time, encouraging them not to change.  Sure, it costs more than other fast-food establishments, but the quality is also so much higher.  The same with Hobby Lobby.  Clean stores.  Nice staff.  Good prices.  Both of these companies are such great examples, of how a company should be ran.  Disney use to be there... but they are sliding :(