Hello everyone

I'm visiting the Fort this coming Sept 17-21. To save some money, I am considering foregoing the expense of the golf cart rental and bringing along the bikes. I'm traveling with my girlfriend only, so two adults.

I have never visited without renting the golf cart and haven't paid much attention to the biking situation - although I do know it's quite popular at FW. I would love to hear any tips or advice on biking the fort from the experts.

My main concern is access to bike racks when we take the bus to the parks. Will we be able to lock our bikes? is it necessary to lock them up? I just purchased two waterproof covers to keep them dry in the event we can leave them locked up in various spots. Any info is greatly appreciated.

OutdoorsNY 

Bikes are a great alternative to using a golf cart.

There are bike racks all around the Fort, and definitely racks at the Outpost and Settlement.

Make sure to take a ride over to Wilderness Lodge.  There are bike racks there too.

Yes, plan to lock your bikes.  Unfortunately, there have been many stories shared about bikes that have gone missing.

The official rules state that you should have a light on the front and back of the bike if you operate it after dark.  But, that's one of many rules that is seldom enforced.

TCD

10 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

There are bike racks all around the Fort, and definitely racks at the Outpost and Settlement.

Make sure to take a ride over to Wilderness Lodge.  There are bike racks there too.

Yes, plan to lock your bikes.  Unfortunately, there have been many stories shared about bikes that have gone missing.

The official rules state that you should have a light on the front and back of the bike if you operate it after dark.  But, that's one of many rules that is seldom enforced.

TCD

^this^

Have a great trip!!!

34 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

And the $$$ you save not renting a cart can go into the TCD tip jar! :bananas:

If you are physically able to ride a bike, they are definitely the way to go.

Yes lock them when not in use, even at your campsite.

And if you can't locate a rack, lock them to a fence or a tree.

If you are adventuresome, you can try to ride from the Fort to Port Orleans.  It's fairly close, but the road gets a lot of bus traffic.  But I can't imagine the roads are worse than what you encounter on Long Island.

11 minutes ago, Travisma said:

If you are adventuresome, you can try to ride from the Fort to Port Orleans.  It's fairly close, but the road gets a lot of bus traffic.  But I can't imagine the roads are worse than what you encounter on Long Island.

No.

That is absolutely not allowed, and it is dangerous both for the guests on the bikes and for traffic trying to get by on that busy road.

Do not take your bikes outside of Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge property.

TCD

I hear if Security catches you riding on the roadways, they will give you a ride!  How's that for service?

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

No.

That is absolutely not allowed, and it is dangerous both for the guests on the bikes and for traffic trying to get by on that busy road.

Do not take your bikes outside of Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge property.

TCD

Years ago I rode to Downtown Disney and back from the Fort.  No one stopped me.  And I've never seen signs that said you couldn't ride on the roads?

18 hours ago, Travisma said:

Years ago I rode to Downtown Disney and back from the Fort.  No one stopped me.  And I've never seen signs that said you couldn't ride on the roads?

I have occasionally seen a daredevil biking along one of the internal WDW roads.

But, as I'm sure you know, the WDW roads do not have bike paths or sidewalks, and most barely have any paved shoulders.

Vista Blvd., the road that takes guests to the Fort, is one lane in each direction, with solid double lines in the middle. It carries a lot of traffic, including all of the guests hauling their trailers to the Fort, and Disney buses full of guests.  Add a guy on a bike to that equation, and it's a big problem.

Technically, I'm not sure that Disney can legally keep bikers off or their roads.  But, it's an incredibly dangerous and selfish thing for anyone to do.

TCD

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I have occasionally seen a daredevil biking along one of the internal WDW roads.

But, as I'm sure you know, the WDW roads do not have bike paths or sidewalks, and most barely have any paved shoulders.

Vista Blvd., the road that takes guests to the Fort, is one lane in each direction, with solid double lines in the middle. It carries a lot of traffic, including all of the guests hauling their trailers to the Fort, and Disney buses full of guests.  Add a guy on a bike to that equation, and it's a big problem.

Technically, I'm not sure that Disney can legally keep bikers off or their roads.  But, it's an incredibly dangerous and selfish thing for anyone to do.

TCD

guess I was just lucky, or timed it right.  It was years ago, traffic probably wasn't as bad, I think I cut down the road that goes past the tree houses.

We have done both. Bikes win out over renting a cart for us. We almost always had a place to lock up the bikes (and yes, definitely lock them up) but the one time we didn't, we locked them to each other and leaned them against a tree. At least if they're going to take them, they have to take all three at once!  We really enjoyed the time together riding.  

Renting a cart is surely the way to go, but cart rental prices can cost you as much as the campsite it's self (well, use to). Being lucky enough to be able to take a golf cart with us, ours has paid for itself twice over already.  If you don't own your own cart, I would definitely do the bike thing over paying the high disney rental price

3 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

Renting a cart is surely the way to go, but cart rental prices can cost you as much as the campsite it's self (well, use to). Being lucky enough to be able to take a golf cart with us, ours has paid for itself twice over already.  If you don't own your own cart, I would definitely do the bike thing over paying the high disney rental price

Disney's rental price is high, you can buy and just leave the cart cheaper than renting one if you are going to be there over a week. I have purchased several for less than $600 with good batteries in them.

On 7/12/2017 at 1:12 PM, BigTom said:

Disney's rental price is high, you can buy and just leave the cart cheaper than renting one if you are going to be there over a week. I have purchased several for less than $600 with good batteries in them.

Not to hijack this thread, but does Disney limit you to electric carts, or can you use a gas powered cart? We have a gas cart & it would sure make life easier if we can take it...

19 minutes ago, hedg12 said:

Not to hijack this thread, but does Disney limit you to electric carts, or can you use a gas powered cart? We have a gas cart & it would sure make life easier if we can take it...

I don't think there is any prohibition against gas carts.  If there is, they don't enforce it.  I believe they do prohibit UTV's, but if you're talking a regular golf cart that should be fine.  

2 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Whether you're bringing bikes or a golf cart to the Fort, do your fellow campers a favor and read and follow the rules:

Fort Wilderness Carts, Bikes and Recreational Devices Rules

The failure to follow golf cart rules is something that has gotten really out of hand.

TCD

Someone posted on FB this morning that they loved their first trip to the Fort, but they said the golf carts were making it hard to ride a bike.  They would get right up behind them and weren't stopping at intersections and cutting them off.

15 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Someone posted on FB this morning that they loved their first trip to the Fort, but they said the golf carts were making it hard to ride a bike.  They would get right up behind them and weren't stopping at intersections and cutting them off.

Even though I should be used to it, I am always astonished by how clueless and inconsiderate people can be when they're driving a golf cart.  If people had common sense and were considerate, we wouldn't need the rules.

My biggest pet peeve are the idiots who drive their crappy Fort Wilderness Carts at 10 MPH on Fort Wilderness Trail, and don't pull over to let buses or anyone else pass- creating a line of traffic behind them.  How can anyone be that stupid?  Even if there wasn't a rule telling you that you need to pull over and let traffic by, isn't that just common sense or common courtesy?

TCD

36 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Even though I should be used to it, I am always astonished by how clueless and inconsiderate people can be when they're driving a golf cart.  If people had common sense and were considerate, we wouldn't need the rules.

My biggest pet peeve are the idiots who drive their crappy Fort Wilderness Carts at 10 MPH on Fort Wilderness Trail, and don't pull over to let buses or anyone else pass- creating a line of traffic behind them.  How can anyone be that stupid?  Even if there wasn't a rule telling you that you need to pull over and let traffic by, isn't that just common sense or common courtesy?

TCD

Unfortunately, common sense and common courtesy are rare attributes these days...