Using Photobucket to host pictures? READ THIS

I think they going to find out it's not going to work since so many are leaving.  They're going to have tons of empty server space and very little income.

As I mentioned I only used it for forum links, not storage, mine are on discs or Thumb drives.

3 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I think they going to find out it's not going to work since so many are leaving.  They're going to have tons of empty server space and very little income.

My guess is that they're in the death-throws already to pull something so short-sighted. Given the reports of site crashes as people download- my guess is they're ripe for a bargain basement buyout OR shuttering their doors servers soon.

I haven't seen any email or announcement on my PB account about any changes. It doesn't really bother me as I keep everything of mine on local disks and only load stuff to PB for this site. I've never liked the fine print on these hosting sites as they all claim the right to use whatever you post on their sites free of charge. I've even seen some that where the TOS say you assign any copyright or other ownership to them.

It doesn't really bother me as I keep everything of mine on local disks and only load stuff to PB for this site.

That's how I use Google Photos. I only use it for vacation or other photos that I want to post online, but the primary copy of all my photos is on local drives and backed up. I have to believe that most people do it that way with their important pictures....I hope no one trusts an online site with the only copy of their family photos.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

7 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

That's how I use Google Photos. I only use it for vacation or other photos that I want to post online, but the primary copy of all my photos is on local drives and backed up. I have to believe that most people do it that way with their important pictures....I hope no one trusts an online site with the only copy of their family photos.

My photos are on a laptop, an external drive, and also the original memory cards. And whatever I posted on here are in imgur.  Of course a boatload are out on Facebook also.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

My photos are on a laptop, an external drive, and also the original memory cards. And whatever I posted on here are in imgur.  Of course a boatload are out on Facebook also.

My photos are on my desktop, an external drive, and also backed up to Carbonite.  I'll leave my 5,000+ photos out there on PhotoBucket.  No need to download them.  The only reason I used PhotoBucket was to post pictures here.  I'll use Imgur from now on.

I've probably got all my photos on hard drives and backed up to DVDs, but I've not been very methodical about it. So I am downloading, in an orderly manner, my probably 10K + pictures and then deleting and closing the account if possible. Not going to give them the pleasure of keeping them. I'll also attempt to do some relinking here with another image service.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

Same here Dave. One of my local drive is a 256GB thumb drive that I keep in the safe.  Most of my stuff is replaceable except the people and photos/video.  I love Google photos, but I feel like there's a bill that has to eventually come due. I know it's supported by ad revenue, but it's too good to be free to me...

Photo bucket thing is a bummer to me, but I can't imagine losing the trip reports that Fiends has posted. They all put in an incredible amount of work, that I still go back and peruse from time to time.  Just sad.

5 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Photo bucket thing is a bummer to me, but I can't imagine losing the trip reports that Fiends has posted. They all put in an incredible amount of work, that I still go back and peruse from time to time.  Just sad.

I agree. I enjoy reading the trip reports again at a later time. 

Instead of downloading individual images from PB, go to all of your trip reports (and other image-heavy threads) and save a web archive. That will allow you to always see the page as it exists now even after PB goes down. It will store full-rez versions of every image from the page in your local archive. This can serve as a guide as you go through to reconstruct your posts with links to Imagr. I did this "over there" before I nuked all my threads!

Imgur is pretty easy on a pc using the web, but their iPad app SuCkS! It wants to shove curated images in my face and make every upload into a FB post! I think I've figured out how to make it do what I want, forgive me while I try... I wanted to share this pic with Carol anyhow. Let's see if this works.

r9uyu

I'm getting super frustrated. I've got several albums with over 500 pictures, and when I go to download, it takes a long time to even get the download button, then when I do get the download button, it takes an hour to download, then the zip file is invalid....... Grrrrrr

• 1 month later...

Well, looks like I am late to the party here. Like others, I only use photobucket to post pics, not for actual storage, so I should have all my pics elsewhere too. It really had gotten so junky/glitchy with the ads in the last few years I hated using it. 

Maybe some day this winter I will try to fix my links. 

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, Country Coach Guy said:

Let's see if this works. Just found my photobucket after years and cleaned everything out but this one picture.

Mugs001.jpg

Ha! still works! Guess I'll need to find a new photo host if I'm going to post any more pictures. Oh, these are the old school "Free Refill" mugs that were supposed to be free for life. This was when Port Orleans was really Port Orleans and not French Quarter.