Just wondered if anyone had any input on the differences (besides the obvious) between staying in a cabin vs a camper. I know all the amenities are available to everyone, but are there any advantages or disadvantages to the cabins? Do they feel isolated from the rest of the fort?

My wife's not able to ride in a car for more than about 45 minutes to an hour at at time, and not much more than 3-4 hours a day even with breaks. That makes pulling the camper the 1400 or so miles to Disney something of an arduous task, so I'm looking at options. I know there are services that rent campers, so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

We're just kind of in the "dreaming about planning" stage of our next trip, but we have 4 grand kids that will "need" a trip or three to Disney soon and I'm pretty sure they would love the fort.

Cabins are nice.  Haven't been in the remodeled ones yet. They have most of the amenities you need to cook with, bedding and maid service.

They are away from the action.  There is a smaller pool right in the midst of them.

It's not a bad walk to the meadow, it's a little long for some people but its flat and mostly shady.

There are internal buses and you can rent golf carts and bikes. You cannot drive to places in the fort and park a car except to the meadow trading post and they have either a 15 minute or 1/2 hour limit just for shopping purposes.  You could drive closer to the Settlement area and drop people off, but there would still be a walk to the boats/restaurant and smaller trading post.

As Travisma stated, the only real advantage is the ability to select the type of loop you'd like to be in, and request a loop where you'd like to be.  I haven't looked at the costs between Renting campsite, and camper vs renting a cabin. but my guess is you will save a few dollars a day renting campsite and camper over a cabin.  

If you are looking to stay for an extended time or believe you will visit the fort several times in a year or two you may want to toss the idea around of hiring someone to transport you camper to Florida and store it there.  Or, you and one of your children move the camper down and allow your wife to fly down. or travel down with the other family members.  

I like the cabins, they're comfy and usually quiet. As said above they are away from the hustle n bustle unless you land one in the 100 loop. However they are pricey and depending on the time of year they can be as much as the poly with a discount. My brother and I take my mom and our families every year in December (very expensive time) and we've paid $450+ a night but we're splitting it so it makes it bearable. To be honest it does spoil you and i wouldn't call it camping in any way. Unless you book 2 years out a cabin is all you be able to reserve around the end of the year, but we love it.

Being away from the action is the kind of thing I wonder about. I really don't want the grand kids missing out on anything the fort has to offer.

Me driving and her flying is something we thought about, but we kinda feel like getting there is part of the fun & like to travel together. It would let me take our golf cart though...

Thanks for the input, guys. Gives me more food for thought.

33 minutes ago, hedg12 said:

Being away from the action is the kind of thing I wonder about. I really don't want the grand kids missing out on anything the fort has to offer.

Me driving and her flying is something we thought about, but we kinda feel like getting there is part of the fun & like to travel together. It would let me take our golf cart though...

Thanks for the input, guys. Gives me more food for thought.

One thing you have to realize, that you are not far from the action at the cabins.  It's a mile as the crow flies from the entrance to the Settlement approximately.

You can still do everything the fort has to offer, it would just take a little longer to get to the settlement area or the Meadow pool.

On previous trips with our camper we have "looped" in the cabin areas, and at times some places looked pretty lonely but it certainly would depend on what you are looking for. If you are leaving early for the parks and staying all day it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference.