Want to work for Disney from Home for that extra camping cash?

https://www.news4jax.com/news/disney-is-hiring-work-from-home-customer-service-reps-in-5-states

If you’ve always dreamed of working for Disney, now’s your chance!

The Disney Store is hiring Guest Service Representatives in Florida, Texas, Georgia, Nevada and North Carolina. The best part? You can do your job in your pajamas, because these positions are work-from-home!

Some of the job duties include assisting guests by answering inbound calls and emails, contacting guests via outbound call, and escalating issues to appropriate supervisors/management. All Disney employees are referred to as “Cast Members,” and this position is no different. The job listing says it’s the Cast Member’s responsibility to create “magical moments for guests of all ages.”

Disney is looking for candidates with excellent communication skills and a reliable, high-speed internet connection. Other desired qualifications include a customer-focused attitude, strong attention to detail, computer proficiency including online shopping experience, and demonstrated success working as a member of a team.

While you don’t need a college degree, a high school diploma or equivalent is required. Disney is especially looking for bilingual candidates, who can write and speak fluent Spanish as well as English. Shifts are varied and may include holidays and weekends.

Disney is consistently ranked as a great company to work for. In May, Disney snagged the ninth spot on LinkedIn’s list of Top 50 Companies To Work For. The annual ranking takes into account LinkedIn users’ interest in a company’s jobs, interest in a company’s brand, and employee retention. Earlier in 2017, the company was ranked number one within the entertainment industry on Fortune’s list of “World’s Most Admired Companies.” Disney also made Glassdoor.com’s list of best companies for employee perks and benefits.

Disney is among a growing list of prominent companies that offer work-at-home flexibility. Other corporations that offer remote positions include Adobe, Amazon, Apple, Verizon, Salesforce, Uber and Airbnb.

Copyright 2017 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.

I looked at the Disney Careers site and that job has been posted since late May. It has a fairly decent description of the job but no compensation information. My guess is it will be similar to the work at home jobs Amazon has been posting and have pretty low pay. Might be good for a retiree or stay at home parent but it doesn't appear to have a lot of flexibility in scheduling so who knows.

Just now, keith_h said:

I looked at the Disney Careers site and that job has been posted since late May. It has a fairly decent description of the job but no compensation information. My guess is it will be similar to the work at home jobs Amazon has been posting and have pretty low pay. Might be good for a retiree or stay at home parent but it doesn't appear to have a lot of flexibility in scheduling so who knows.

I did that too and thought the same thing.  

Well someone must've kicked the hornets nest and stirred this up if it's been on the Disney site since May..  Seems like FB has exploded with posts from users and TV stations FB pages.

And I wonder if the CM's that are negotiating for higher wages because they can't live on their current pay think it's that great a place to work?

This is marginally better than them using an overseas call center for customer service calls, but it is probably a step in that direction.

I find the job announcement interesting, because I think it's confirmation that some of the guest service reps that answer calls to the reservation center are also working from home.  I've hear loud arguments and dogs barking in the background of some of those calls.

If you think about it, it's a joke that Disney is saying that they want to provide excellent customer service, and then they go and hire unqualified and untrained people to provide that service from their homes in their pajamas.

TCD

18 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

This is marginally better than them using an overseas call center for customer service calls, but it is probably a step in that direction.

I find the job announcement interesting, because I think it's confirmation that some of the guest service reps that answer calls to the reservation center are also working from home.  I've hear loud arguments and dogs barking in the background of some of those calls.

If you think about it, it's a joke that Disney is saying that they want to provide excellent customer service, and then they go and hire unqualified and untrained people to provide that service from their homes in their pajamas.

TCD

They have had some work at homes for a while. There was an add in the Tampa Tribune at least 5 or 6 years ago looking for work at homes. Like you said, you hear odd things in the background, and the quality of call connections varies.

Some of the FB posts say you have to go to Orlando for training (maybe just FL?).  others say if your equipment breaks (phone?) it's up to you to get it repaired or replaced and again it's in Orlando.  You have to have a certain type of pc, and if that breaks you're out of work until you replace it yourself.

So there are plusses and minuses to working at home for The Mouse.

Others are frustrated that you are applying, and they don't tell you about what you make up front, how many hours, benefits (or more than likely lack of) etc.

One person said they filled out the app at 9:01, and got rejected at 9:34 for not being qualified.  She had quit a few years in as customer service, phone support, etc.  She was surprised they could look over an application that quick.  Someone countered saying in the fine print that FL applicants had to be bilingual.  Not sure if that is true or not.

18 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Some of the FB posts say you have to go to Orlando for training (maybe just FL?).  others say if your equipment breaks (phone?) it's up to you to get it repaired or replaced and again it's in Orlando.  You have to have a certain type of pc, and if that breaks you're out of work until you replace it yourself.

A lot of companies like work at home for the lower paid jobs in particular. It reduces their real estate costs and since they require the employee to pay for the phone line, internet and equipment their IT costs are lower as well. It is no favor to the employee no matter what it sounds like. It is purely a cost saving measure. Another drawback is they are usually dead end jobs. It is very hard to be promoted in this type of a call center job due to lack of visibility which is why I see it as more for a retiree or stay at home parent to make some extra money.

30 minutes ago, keith_h said:

A lot of companies like work at home for the lower paid jobs in particular. It reduces their real estate costs and since they require the employee to pay for the phone line, internet and equipment their IT costs are lower as well. It is no favor to the employee no matter what it sounds like. It is purely a cost saving measure. Another drawback is they are usually dead end jobs. It is very hard to be promoted in this type of a call center job due to lack of visibility which is why I see it as more for a retiree or stay at home parent to make some extra money.

Like you said a lot of companies are doing this.  

Some hire the workers as contractors so they pay no benefits to them.

Others do it so they can have smaller offices where workers share a desk.  Bob comes in on Mondays, Sally Tuesday, etc. 

Dr's offices have been doing it for years contracting with medical billing services who in turn have stay at home people doing the work.  Remember when a Dr./Dentist (not a medical group) had an office and a receptionist/secretary/assistant that did the schedules, billing, helped with procedures etc. 

It's a brave new world.  Yes people are employed,(looks good on government reports) but no benefits, no chance for promotion, no sense of working for the betterment of society...

Looks good for the bottom line of business, but doesn't look good for future generations.

It's time to get back to basics and re-start teaching trades in schools and get away from "If you don't have a college degree you ain't worth sh**" attitude.

If you can build/repair something, you'll always have a job.  It we get craftsman trained in the US again, we won't have to bring in foreign help, legal or illegal.

45 minutes ago, keith_h said:

A lot of companies like work at home for the lower paid jobs in particular.

It's sad to say, but I would say most American companies have done whatever they can to cut costs with customer service.  For example,  I've had to call several different major cable/internet companies in the last few years to arrange for service for my daughters in various places they've lived.  It seems like all of them use overseas call centers, and the quality of the "service" and information they provide is atrocious.  In some small cities, it is impossible to speak to a local representative.  But, most of these companies are government-sanctioned monopolies, so they can do whatever they want.

TCD

7 minutes ago, Travisma said:

It's time to get back to basics and re-start teaching trades in schools and get away from "If you don't have a college degree you ain't worth sh**" attitude.

If you can build/repair something, you'll always have a job.  It we get craftsman trained in the US again, we won't have to bring in foreign help, legal or illegal.

I agree, completely. 

13 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's sad to say, but I would say most American companies have done whatever they can to cut costs with customer service.  For example,  I've had to call several different major cable/internet companies in the last few years to arrange for service for my daughters in various places they've lived.  It seems like all of them use overseas call centers, and the quality of the "service" and information they provide is atrocious.  In some small cities, it is impossible to speak to a local representative.  But, most of these companies are government-sanctioned monopolies, so they can do whatever they want.

TCD

Frontier got so much bad press when they took over FIOS, that they shifted those calls to US call centers only.

This is not working from Disney from home, but it does have a small signing bonus.

http://www.chipandco.com/disney-announces-signing-bonuses-new-employees-277623/

Have you always wanted to work for Disney? Well, now is the perfect time to make that dream come true as Disney is offering new incentives.

Disney has recently increased its signing bonus from $500 to $1,000 or $1,500 for new full-time and part-time employees in the culinary department. The culinary industry is quite competitive and finding chefs and cooks is  a challenge which no doubt motivated the increase.

New “mousekeepers” and bus drivers who get part-time or full-time work with the company will get a $500 signing bonus. And earlier this summer new lifeguards were eligible for a $500 signing bonus.

22 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Now that my wife is retired, she's lost access to the hub.  Therefore she needs to call reservations to get the cast discounts added to our reservations.  She's encountered people in Chicago, Miami, Charlotte and more.  Some are excellent, but many have no clue what the heck they are doing.  I just wish they would give retirees partial access to the hub so we can make our reservations like we used to and avoid having to call.

44 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Now that my wife is retired, she's lost access to the hub.  Therefore she needs to call reservations to get the cast discounts added to our reservations.  She's encountered people in Chicago, Miami, Charlotte and more.  Some are excellent, but many have no clue what the heck they are doing.  I just wish they would give retirees partial access to the hub so we can make our reservations like we used to and avoid having to call.

My company has a separate retiree site where we can access the discounts and programs that carried over from the employee site. It works quite well. I just follow a link and I'm taken to entry for our company's program. I'm surprised Disney doesn't have something similar.

6 hours ago, keith_h said:

My company has a separate retiree site where we can access the discounts and programs that carried over from the employee site. It works quite well. I just follow a link and I'm taken to entry for our company's program. I'm surprised Disney doesn't have something similar.

I'm surprised Disney doesn't have something similar.  :ROFLMAO-1:

Wait, are you serious?  With the way their reservation sites work, I'm shocked that they can do as much as they do!

Their websites and call ins are terrible.

7 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Boy do I agree with this, it's annoying to not be able to use the hub just because Bill is retired.

On August 2, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

Good question.

It says you can do the job in your pajamas, not that you have to wear pajamas.

So, this is a clothing optional job, I guess.

TCD

Given the option, I think it's pretty obvious what I would (or wouldn't) be wearing if I had this job.

DH was excited when he first heard about this, but then realized we'd have to move at least as far south as NC for him to do it.  ;)

On 8/2/2017 at 9:54 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

I work from home and had to give the West Coast people I'm working with a heads up on our calls this week that there was construction going on in the house.  I didn't feel too badly as yesterday one of them was working from home and warned me there was a toddler running around. Honestly, the toddler was louder than the guy working in my kitchen.  LOL

On 8/2/2017 at 9:57 AM, jayco1 said:

Does that mean I would have to buy pajamas? ;)

My running joke is that sometimes I change out of my pajamas in the afternoon... to put on clean pajamas.

On 8/2/2017 at 11:16 AM, Travisma said:

It's a brave new world.  Yes people are employed,(looks good on government reports) but no benefits, no chance for promotion, no sense of working for the betterment of society...

One reason some bigger companies (especially Tech companies) are doing it is as a perk to attract good people. They're finding that especially with younger people, the whole "quality of life vs $$$" is a big deal, and that many would take a little less money if they're able to avoid a lengthy commute and be home for their families at a reasonable hour a few days a week.

But then there are cases like IBM, which recently announced they're calling their remote people back into the office, citing that having people all over the place is detrimental to working on teams.

I work from home as a contractor for a company in CA.  It didn't start out that way (they bought the company I was working for and thankfully wanted me to stick around), but between those of us that work from home (which they offer as a perk to their regular employees) and their offices in NJ, OH, TX, CA and Manilla, you never know where the person you're talking to might be.  Honestly the biggest challenge is getting everyone on a call or juggling time zones when it comes to communication. It's sometimes frustrating, but we usually manage to make it work.

7 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

But then there are cases like IBM, which recently announced they're calling their remote people back into the office, citing that having people all over the place is detrimental to working on teams.

Even before the big recall work from home was iffy with IBM. They publicized it as a lot more than what it really was. I was a remote employee with them for about 15 years. Twelve of those were working from home. I worked under a San Jose based development organization whose management didn't need to have their employees just across the hall to feel in control. Here on the East coast the management tended to want to be able to see their employees. About the only groups that had remote employees were those that provided services or sales that required them to be close to the customer.

There has always been a large cultural difference between the IBM facilities out west and here in the east. The western facilities are much more like Silicon Valley in attitudes and how things are done. The eastern ones have always been more buttoned down and formal. I used to get a kick out of going to meetings in Poughkeepsie when I was in my 20's. Those of us from San Jose would be in blue jeans and tennis shoes while the Poughkeepsie folks were in business attire and wearing ties. You could tell the New York managers hated it but what do you expect when our VP had a 1000 head hobby ranch, wore string ties and cowboy boots. 

My wife breifly considered applying for this as a way of working around other commitments, but reading over the statements about flexibility put her off.

I work from home myself at the moment. I was working as a near shore consultant, we were a team in an office a few hours away from the customer site. I had to move over here for personal reasons. Was ready to hand in my notice, and my boss asked what he could do to make me stay. I flippantly replied let me work remotely. I few negoatiobs later and it happened.

It does get interesting when you are working across time zones including the UK, Hong Kong and EST.

Not having the 90 minute commute is a nice bonus. Haven't suffered to much with interruptions although I try and have the mute button on stand by just in case. My son has walked into a video conference once or twice but it wasn't with a client so no harm done. My office used to be fairly relaxed anyway, a couple of the directors used to bring their dogs in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TCD

You are correct. Some of the people answering the phones are on contract with an outside company. Sadly, they give out a lot of misinformation and often do not seem properly trained. I've gotten some good ones, but not often. It does make me wonder what happens when people who are less experienced gets them. I was hoping they weren't on the consumer side too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's easy to fault disney and other companies for these perceived bad practices.  Heck there's an entire multi-billion $ social networking company built on it.

However, a root cause analysis tells us that's its not the company. As publicly traded companies, they exist solely for the benefit of the shareholders / bond holders. What do those peo0le expect? Yep, a solid return on their investment. How does that happen? Yep, ever increasing profitability. Who are "those people"? Anyone who owns stock, mutual funds, 401k, retiree benefits like pensions that invest in the market, etc. Nope, it's not everybody, but it's a big chunk.  I doubt that any companies that offer these low wage jobs with no benefits, do it just to be mean.

Truth be told, if I had to choose between this kind of job and welfare, I would be thrilled to have a choice.