16 minutes ago, BigTom said:

If any one is thinking about getting an Ebook, Staples has the Kindle Fire on sale in their current flier for only $39.99.

That sounds like an incredible deal.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite that's a few years old now.  It still works fine, but it did mysteriously lock-up on me once until I found a hack on-line to fix it.  I figure I will need to replace it soon.  I'm only interested in using a Kindle for reading- is the Paperwhite the best model for that?

TCD

14 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I have a Kindle Paperwhite that's a few years old now.  It still works fine, but it did mysteriously lock-up on me once until I found a hack on-line to fix it.  I figure I will need to replace it soon.  I'm only interested in using a Kindle for reading- is the Paperwhite the best model for that?

TCD

They say the the paperwhite is the closest to a book, so if that's all you are using it for then it's the best choice.

I think they have added some features/improvements like lighting on them.

I bought a Fire 7 HD the day before Amazon Prime Day and it's been working great for me.

53 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

I have the Paperwhite and the Fire. The Fire has color and can be connected to the web and I like it better for general reading, it is a bit larger. The Paperwhite is smaller and can be read in the sun or darkness. It is about the size of a paperback book but thinner. After having both, don"t think I will buy another Paperwhite as the Fire has color and sound and is easier to hold, Also you can get 2 Fires for the price on one Paperwhite.

30 minutes ago, BigTom said:

I have the Paperwhite and the Fire. The Fire has color and can be connected to the web and I like it better for general reading, it is a bit larger. The Paperwhite is smaller and can be read in the sun or darkness. It is about the size of a paperback book but thinner. After having both, don"t think I will buy another Paperwhite as the Fire has color and sound and is easier to hold, Also you can get 2 Fires for the price on one Paperwhite.

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the Paperwhite- it's great to bring on a plane and to read in places with bad lighting.  I like the size, and I'm always amazed at how long a battery charge lasts on it.  I think it works best for me because it was only built to do one thing.  Even the price on those has come down quite a bit.

TCD

Agreed on the Paperwhite, e-paper screen means its easier on the eyes and the battery lasts longer. I have a 7-inch android tablet that I used to use for ebooks but prefer the paperwhite. It used to be the case that the ebooks from my library didn't work on Kindle but that's no longer true. I am looking at one of the new kindle oasis which is waterproof. My daughter is asking for a kindle when that happens tempted to give her mine and get a new one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Even though I have an iPad, I read on my Kindle. It's much easier on the eyes, especially at night. 

That is a nice feature on the Fires, for night time viewing you can reduce the blue tints (which supposedly messes with your sleep cycle) by hitting a setting.

Not sure if the newer iPads have that, my old 2+ doesn't .

I haven't done a lot of reading in awhile, but one of my favorite book series is by Janet Dailey, the Calder series. It started with This Calder Sky, but then she went back to the beginning with This Calder Range and started in the beginning. Calder Sky is actually #3 chronologically. There are about 7 books in the series starting with roaming west from Texas to Montana to form a large cattle ranch in the 1800s to the latest book probably taking place in the late 1990s. It follows the family and the ranch generationally.

I haven't looked into readers in awhile. I had an old, really slow Nook reader, and was reading a lot on planes while traveling. When I discovered the Nook app on my phone, I read on that. A separate reader is just something else to keep up with and charge. I just put the words really large on my phone, and do a lot of page flipping. Not a big deal for me.